Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far my most trouble free install has been with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P motherboard. Didn't use any DSDT and it installed flawlessly (with Maverick). I had to install with a DSDT for a Z68A-D3H-B3 but the board had its limitations. So I tried a Z77X-UD3H but the VIA sound was awful. I also tried a Z77X-UD5H but that was the most troublesome as it was very unstable no matter what BIOS I updated it too or what settings I used. Anyway, love the Z68XP-UD3P even though it didn't have the onboard Intel NIC I liked in the Z77 boards. May have to try an actual Intel card.

The Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5 is listed as no longer available on Newegg, and has been since before this update to the buyer's guide was released.

For Thunderbolt 2 support of GA-Z87X-UD7-TH is OSX 10.8 enough or do you need 10.9?

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2014

I bought the exact parts for the CustoMac Mini build but the CPU fan for the Intel Core i3-4340 does not fit in the Apex MI-008 (w/ 250W Power Supply). The power supply blocks it. Why was this recommended if it cant work? What should i do?

I have tested the H67N, H77N, and H87N all in the same Apex mini ITX case listed in the guide. The stock cooler fits- take my word for it. :thumbup:

I do agree tho, that the slim cooler in this case is also a good bet if you're worried about clearance room.

I bought the exact parts for the CustoMac Mini build but the CPU fan for the Intel Core i3-4340 does not fit in the Apex MI-008 (w/ 250W Power Supply). The power supply blocks it. Why was this recommended if it cant work? What should i do?

you should buy a different cpu cooler....

Here's a video tutorial on installing the mainboard in that case. It's important to remove
the PSU before installing the board with the cpu cooler on it. You can skip ahead to about
the 6:30 mark of the video to see the relevant info on the installation.

[video=youtube_share;B-lARB0L5FA]http://youtu.be/B-lARB0L5FA?t=6m20s[/video]

GA-Z87X-UD5-TH recommendation? So how does DSL4510 works for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back