Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2013

Thanks for the question- we haven't included any all in one type devices in the list- this is mainly for building a system from parts. Hope this helps!

Thanks :) Good enough reason probably a complete noob question but what other "All in one solutions" are there ?

Hi, first post noob here. I was close to buying an iMac but have found this site and I'm really impressed with the sophistication of the hackintosh scene and outstanding community here. I'm ready to pull the trigger on my parts and build the Customac Mini Deluxe. I plan to follow the guide very closely.

I was planning on ordering the i7 3770,
GeForce GTX 660 Ti, and 16GB of the Corsair RAM. Is there any reason that this particular configuration would be a problem? Would the more expensive CPU and GPU be inherently better? Are certain ones more prone to problems? Would a 3TB HDD be ok rather than the 1TB in the list?

I anticipate having issues initially that I must resolve but feel confident that I will be able to based on the great community you've built here and their helpful nature. Once things are properly set up, can I expect this to be a fairly reliable system? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the prospect of building the system and setting things up. I used to love modifying game consoles and I'm fairly competent in IT. I just don't want to be in a daily battle to make the system usable.

I was planning on ordering the i7 3770,
GeForce GTX 660 Ti, and 16GB of the Corsair RAM. Is there any reason that this particular configuration would be a problem? Would the more expensive CPU and GPU be inherently better? Are certain ones more prone to problems? Would a 3TB HDD be ok rather than the 1TB in the list?

It depends on what you'll be doing. The 3770k is only a better choice if you will be overclocking your system. Some have found that the Z77n-wifi mobo isn't the best for that. A higher end graphics card would only be needed if you were doing extremely intensive photo and video editing. The 3 TB drives are ok but to use as the boot drive you'd need to partition it. Boot loader on a 1TB or less partition.

I don't think you'd see much of a performance difference spending more if you aren't doing those two things. I've found my Customac to be as stable and reliable as any Mac that I've owned over the years. They key is staying with compatible hardware and waiting to update until site members work out the bugs. Check back here often for info. Good luck on your build :!:

It depends on what you'll be doing. The 3770k is only a better choice if you will be overclocking your system. Some have found that the Z77n-wifi mobo isn't the best for that. A higher end graphics card would only be needed if you were doing extremely intensive photo and video editing. The 3 TB drives are ok but to use as the boot drive you'd need to partition it. Boot loader on a 1TB or less partition.

I don't think you'd see much of a performance difference spending more if you aren't doing those two things. I've found my Customac to be as stable and reliable as any Mac that I've owned over the years. They key is staying with compatible hardware and waiting to update until site members work out the bugs. Check back here often for info. Good luck on your build :!:

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm not planning on overclocking or doing any serious video editing. I'm going to install OSX on a SSD and use the 3TB HDD purely for media storage. Aside from that, I'm going to follow the build exactly and use the hardware listed. Being a noob, I'll definitely be cautious about any updates. I'm really glad to hear that your system has been so reliable. That's comforting and was my only real concern. I've been lurking here a lot lately and I'll make sure to do more research while my parts are in route. Thanks

Incorrect post

Incorrect post

Hello to all,
I bought it from amazon motherboard GA-Q77M-D2H, and then I discovered that there is no DSDT file.
Why is the recommended if the file does not yet exist (DSDT)?
IL My reason is that every time I have to start the operating system from pen drive.
Is there any other solution?

Hello to all,
I bought it from amazon motherboard GA-Q77M-D2H, and then I discovered that there is no DSDT file.
Why is the recommended if the file does not yet exist (DSDT)?
IL My reason is that every time I have to start the operating system from pen drive.
Is there any other solution?

If you've run multibeast and installed the chimera boot loader and it still won't boot check your UEFI bios settings.
:arrow: http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

UEFI is the reason you don't need a dsdt for the Q77M. It has to be set up properly to work. Good Luck.

My third Hackintosh is a Core i7 with a 250 GTS. It works great now. The original install was 10.6, upgrade to 10.6.1 and then 10.6.2 with no problems. When I upgraded to 10.6.3, it broke my install. I have 3 hard drives in that computer so I installed 10.6.4 and that also broke. After many hours, I fixed it. I have Windows 7 on the third HD.

Your gtx650 will not work with 10.6.3 without major hacking.

My next and 4th Hackintosh will have a 670 or 680 graphics board.

Could you get your GTS 250 to work with mountain lion?

Hi Tony!
Any idea what the real difference between GA-H77N-WIFI and GA-Z77N-WIFI? At gigabyte.com it's looking pretty close to each other. By the way what's the main purpose of using TP-Link PCI Express wifi adapter? Does it means that build in onboard wifi-bluetoth 4.0 from gigabyte is not working?

Hi Tony!
Any idea what the real difference between GA-H77N-WIFI and GA-Z77N-WIFI? At gigabyte.com it's looking pretty close to each other. By the way what's the main purpose of using TP-Link PCI Express wifi adapter? Does it means that build in onboard wifi-bluetoth 4.0 from gigabyte is not working?
GA-Z77N-WIFI is only if you want to overclock, and yes the wifi is not working with this card you need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back