i3-3225
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
question about the new links:

If I click a hardware link to, say Amazon, (and my account auto-enters) and then add other stuff I want (like DVDs), will this site get commission credit for my other purchases?

Motherboard
None
CPU
None
Graphics
None
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Can i use the evga gtx 660 ti superclocked edition as well. Does that work? Please help i'm new to this

Obvious Answer Man

Super Moderator
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2013

Very interesting forum, I never knew that I can build a "cheap" Mac ... ;-) - but now I will do so.

I will have to buy some new components, but I'm wondering if my graphics card will work as it's not listed.
It's an Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX670-DC2T-2GD5, that's the overclocked version of the recommended GTX670-DC2-2GD5. Would be awesome, if I hadn't to buy a new, slower card.
Sorry if that is a dumb question ...

Thanks in advance
Peter (Germany)
It will work when you get an new CPU and motherboard, http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

Motherboard
Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

Hey Hughjass,
Have u configure your build up already? has anyone attend to your inquiry?

Im looking to build a customac for editing too (FCPX). Best would be for the Final Cut Studio suites.

Do share your finding with me if u dont mind, cheers.

My build is coming along nicely - scored some sweet deals. Picked up the recommended Gigabyte MB for $250. Lots of Sandforce SSD deals the past week.

I still need the 3930k (waiting for it to come back down to $499. It was $399 during Black Friday). And I haven't figured out which video card would work best. Narrowed it down to the Radeon 6870 or a GTX 560/570/580. Leaning toward the Radeon 6870 since more people have had FCPX success with it. I'll start a build thread once I have all the parts.

Motherboard
MAC & WIN 7
CPU
Core i3
Graphics
Radeon HD 5670
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thanks looks a nice beginin to mac world

Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
Intel i5 4760K
Graphics
Intel 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

Thanks for the question- we haven't included any all in one type devices in the list- this is mainly for building a system from parts. Hope this helps!

Thanks :) Good enough reason probably a complete noob question but what other "All in one solutions" are there ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (2GB)
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi, first post noob here. I was close to buying an iMac but have found this site and I'm really impressed with the sophistication of the hackintosh scene and outstanding community here. I'm ready to pull the trigger on my parts and build the Customac Mini Deluxe. I plan to follow the guide very closely.

I was planning on ordering the i7 3770,
GeForce GTX 660 Ti, and 16GB of the Corsair RAM. Is there any reason that this particular configuration would be a problem? Would the more expensive CPU and GPU be inherently better? Are certain ones more prone to problems? Would a 3TB HDD be ok rather than the 1TB in the list?

I anticipate having issues initially that I must resolve but feel confident that I will be able to based on the great community you've built here and their helpful nature. Once things are properly set up, can I expect this to be a fairly reliable system? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the prospect of building the system and setting things up. I used to love modifying game consoles and I'm fairly competent in IT. I just don't want to be in a daily battle to make the system usable.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

I was planning on ordering the i7 3770,
GeForce GTX 660 Ti, and 16GB of the Corsair RAM. Is there any reason that this particular configuration would be a problem? Would the more expensive CPU and GPU be inherently better? Are certain ones more prone to problems? Would a 3TB HDD be ok rather than the 1TB in the list?

It depends on what you'll be doing. The 3770k is only a better choice if you will be overclocking your system. Some have found that the Z77n-wifi mobo isn't the best for that. A higher end graphics card would only be needed if you were doing extremely intensive photo and video editing. The 3 TB drives are ok but to use as the boot drive you'd need to partition it. Boot loader on a 1TB or less partition.

I don't think you'd see much of a performance difference spending more if you aren't doing those two things. I've found my Customac to be as stable and reliable as any Mac that I've owned over the years. They key is staying with compatible hardware and waiting to update until site members work out the bugs. Check back here often for info. Good luck on your build :!:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (2GB)
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

It depends on what you'll be doing. The 3770k is only a better choice if you will be overclocking your system. Some have found that the Z77n-wifi mobo isn't the best for that. A higher end graphics card would only be needed if you were doing extremely intensive photo and video editing. The 3 TB drives are ok but to use as the boot drive you'd need to partition it. Boot loader on a 1TB or less partition.

I don't think you'd see much of a performance difference spending more if you aren't doing those two things. I've found my Customac to be as stable and reliable as any Mac that I've owned over the years. They key is staying with compatible hardware and waiting to update until site members work out the bugs. Check back here often for info. Good luck on your build :!:

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm not planning on overclocking or doing any serious video editing. I'm going to install OSX on a SSD and use the 3TB HDD purely for media storage. Aside from that, I'm going to follow the build exactly and use the hardware listed. Being a noob, I'll definitely be cautious about any updates. I'm really glad to hear that your system has been so reliable. That's comforting and was my only real concern. I've been lurking here a lot lately and I'll make sure to do more research while my parts are in route. Thanks

Motherboard
mac
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Incorrect post

Incorrect post

Status