Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to build the standard custoMac Mini (Mini ITX) system. I plan on using all the recommended hardware given in this buyer's guide. I would like to use the Gigabit GA–H87n–WiFi motherboard with an Intel I3–4340 processor with 8 GB of RAM. The system will run OS X Lion.

My concern is the built-in HDMI port on the motherboard. I would like to run the video and audio out to my receiver and then out to my flatscreen TV.

Currently, I am using an old Mac mini which requires me to run the HDMI out to my receiver and a separate digital optical cable to my receiver in order to get sound from my system. Of course, in this build I would like to avoid that and just use the HDMI cable for both audio and video. Will this motherboard support the audio and video out to my receiver and then to my TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013

My concern is the built-in HDMI port on the motherboard. I would like to run the video and audio out to my receiver and then out to my flatscreen TV.
Currently, I am using an old Mac mini which requires me to run the HDMI out to my receiver and a separate digital optical cable to my receiver in order to get sound from my system. Of course, in this build I would like to avoid that and just use the HDMI cable for both audio and video. Will this motherboard support the audio and video out to my receiver and then to my TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.

To get the HDMI audio you'll need to use a specific DSDT for that. There are numerous posts
by Toleda and others on how to do that. Use search.

What could be an alternative GA-Z87MX-D3H? With built-in FireWire. As well having support SLI. PC case mATX purchased =/

What could be an alternative GA-Z87MX-D3H? With built-in FireWire. As well having support SLI. PC case mATX purchased =/

David - you should consider adding a PCI/PCIE firewire card to your build if you need it.

Merry Christmas.

Adrian B

Hello,

The first is to thank you for the website.

I was looking to build a custom mac and looking the direction you give in this web y can choose the right things, but i have a doubt. In the block of Graphics Cards y can see the same graphic card with multiple sellers, There is any difference apart of the "external cool" in the graphic card?

I don't know if I am explaining well my doubt, for ex. the GeForce GT 640 is a unique model but you can buy it from, Asus, Gigabite, VGA...

Every seller have a different picture of the card.

Then are all the same card of have differences.
Thank you

To get the HDMI audio you'll need to use a specific DSDT for that. There are numerous posts
by Toleda and others on how to do that. Use search.

Thank you, trs96 for your response and advice. I have searched through the forums and the DSDT database. I cannot find any specific DSDT for my motherboard. I would like to use a gigabit socket 1150 GA – H87n –WiFi motherboard. Do I even need a DSDT?

I didn't see it listed, but I recently built a Haswell setup using a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4519#ov

Works perfectly. Its kind of the ATX version of the GA-Z87-D3H, I guess. It has 2 legacy PCI slots vs 1, 1 fewer x1 PCIEX slots, and 2 more USB 3.0 ports on the back panel (loses display port).

is there any GTX 780 / GTX 780 TI that is NOT GK110B-based ?

- - - Updated - - -

or should I ask, whats the most powerful GPU from nvidia thats fully compatible at the moment? would it be GTX 770 or something else?

Great question. What IS the best higher end nvidia card that fully supports Mavericks?

I notice in the guide above it says the nvidia 6x and 7x cards are "all natively compatible without modifying drivers". But currently there are known issues with power management on these cards under Mavericks. See these threads for more info:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/113137-haswell-mavericks-gtx-760-running-max-2.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/112437-no-gpu-power-managment.html

Maybe this information should be posted as a note or something in the guide? Maybe and admin could add that?

Pending that issue being fixed, what are the higher end cards that are known to be fully supported currently? It sorta seems like there aren't many...

Great question. What IS the best higher end nvidia card that fully supports Mavericks?

Pending that issue being fixed, what are the higher end cards that are known to be fully supported currently? It sorta seems like there aren't many...

I'm curious about this as well... It seems like we might have to wait it out for more compatibility with MacPro upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back