Graphics
Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013

is there any GTX 780 / GTX 780 TI that is NOT GK110B-based ?

- - - Updated - - -

or should I ask, whats the most powerful GPU from nvidia thats fully compatible at the moment? would it be GTX 770 or something else?

Great question. What IS the best higher end nvidia card that fully supports Mavericks?

I notice in the guide above it says the nvidia 6x and 7x cards are "all natively compatible without modifying drivers". But currently there are known issues with power management on these cards under Mavericks. See these threads for more info:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/113137-haswell-mavericks-gtx-760-running-max-2.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/112437-no-gpu-power-managment.html

Maybe this information should be posted as a note or something in the guide? Maybe and admin could add that?

Pending that issue being fixed, what are the higher end cards that are known to be fully supported currently? It sorta seems like there aren't many...

Motherboard
Windows 8; 64 bit
CPU
3.30Ghz
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Great question. What IS the best higher end nvidia card that fully supports Mavericks?

Pending that issue being fixed, what are the higher end cards that are known to be fully supported currently? It sorta seems like there aren't many...

I'm curious about this as well... It seems like we might have to wait it out for more compatibility with MacPro upgrades?

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi,
I was planning to get the ocz corextream 500w for my build, but I couldn't avoid noticing that it isn't one of the four listed above, so my question is if those that are here listed are the only ones that work with a mac system or are they just some samples and I can use the one that I had chose as long it is compatible with my cpu?
Thanks,
Hugo Pires

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other

Hi,
I was planning to get the ocz corextream 500w for my build, but I couldn't avoid noticing that it isn't one of the four listed above, so my question is if those that are here listed are the only ones that work with a mac system or are they just some samples and I can use the one that I had chose as long it is compatible with my cpu?
Thanks,
Hugo Pires

Hugo, you may use any brand of PSU that you wish. Many people have used OCZ Corestream PSUs and SSDs in the past.

Adrian B

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi everyone, can anyone recommend a PCI gigabit ethernet card?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z87-HD3
CPU
i5-4670K @ 4.2GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. At first i would like to wish everyone happy new year. And now my question.
Im going to build my new CustoMac with Maverics, I've got 8GB of RAM, DDR3 already, but it's just 1333MHz. Will it work properly or I'm gonna need to buy new RAM with 1600MHz? Thanks

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU
Intel i7-2700k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I'm curious about this as well... It seems like we might have to wait it out for more compatibility with MacPro upgrades?

So most of the Nvidia cards on this list aren't fully supported in Mavericks. I feel like we're giving bad advice to people out there coming to this list looking for compatible hardware.

There is a note that the GTX780 and above have issues - but really, ALL the kepler based cards should be marked as having issues IMO. For SURE the GTX 660 has power management issues. I really think they should be marked as having issues.

I know I'm really new here, and I don't want to make waves. But what is the proper way to bring this to an admins attention? This site is so awesome, and has helped me SO much! I just want to make sure we maintain the quality of advice given here :)

Motherboard
E2100
CPU
Celeron
Graphics
VGA 1280x1024
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Does the
GA-Z87X-UD3H support 1.6 V RAM? Has anyone tried changing the Voltage in the UEFI Bios?

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other