Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am looking to build the standard custoMac Mini (Mini ITX) system. I plan on using all the recommended hardware given in this buyer's guide. I would like to use the Gigabit GA–H87n–WiFi motherboard with an Intel I3–4340 processor with 8 GB of RAM. The system will run OS X Lion.

My concern is the built-in HDMI port on the motherboard. I would like to run the video and audio out to my receiver and then out to my flatscreen TV.

Currently, I am using an old Mac mini which requires me to run the HDMI out to my receiver and a separate digital optical cable to my receiver in order to get sound from my system. Of course, in this build I would like to avoid that and just use the HDMI cable for both audio and video. Will this motherboard support the audio and video out to my receiver and then to my TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013

My concern is the built-in HDMI port on the motherboard. I would like to run the video and audio out to my receiver and then out to my flatscreen TV.
Currently, I am using an old Mac mini which requires me to run the HDMI out to my receiver and a separate digital optical cable to my receiver in order to get sound from my system. Of course, in this build I would like to avoid that and just use the HDMI cable for both audio and video. Will this motherboard support the audio and video out to my receiver and then to my TV?

Any advice would be appreciated.

To get the HDMI audio you'll need to use a specific DSDT for that. There are numerous posts
by Toleda and others on how to do that. Use search.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
What could be an alternative GA-Z87MX-D3H? With built-in FireWire. As well having support SLI. PC case mATX purchased =/

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other

What could be an alternative GA-Z87MX-D3H? With built-in FireWire. As well having support SLI. PC case mATX purchased =/

David - you should consider adding a PCI/PCIE firewire card to your build if you need it.

Merry Christmas.

Adrian B

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

Hello,

The first is to thank you for the website.

I was looking to build a custom mac and looking the direction you give in this web y can choose the right things, but i have a doubt. In the block of Graphics Cards y can see the same graphic card with multiple sellers, There is any difference apart of the "external cool" in the graphic card?

I don't know if I am explaining well my doubt, for ex. the GeForce GT 640 is a unique model but you can buy it from, Asus, Gigabite, VGA...

Every seller have a different picture of the card.

Then are all the same card of have differences.
Thank you

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

To get the HDMI audio you'll need to use a specific DSDT for that. There are numerous posts
by Toleda and others on how to do that. Use search.

Thank you, trs96 for your response and advice. I have searched through the forums and the DSDT database. I cannot find any specific DSDT for my motherboard. I would like to use a gigabit socket 1150 GA – H87n –WiFi motherboard. Do I even need a DSDT?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Is it possible to use a different motherboard other than a gigabyte? Perhaps a Asus?
Yes. If you're going to buy one, post your questions in Buying Advice forum section. If you have an existing Asus motherboard system, then post your questions in the Desktop Compatibility forum sections.

Motherboard
GA-Z87-D3HP
CPU
i5-4670k
Graphics
Asus AMD R9 270x
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone

I didn't see it listed, but I recently built a Haswell setup using a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4519#ov

Works perfectly. Its kind of the ATX version of the GA-Z87-D3H, I guess. It has 2 legacy PCI slots vs 1, 1 fewer x1 PCIEX slots, and 2 more USB 3.0 ports on the back panel (loses display port).

Status
Not open for further replies.