Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide August 2013

Chus, I am not sure that you need to add the cuda link, although if you are on 10.8.2 it might be possible - I suggest that you do a little more research for this card on 10.8.2 & 10.8.4 and see what you feel more at ease with.

Adrian B

Chus, I am not sure that you need to add the cuda link, although if you are on 10.8.2 it might be possible - I suggest that you do a little more research for this card on 10.8.2 & 10.8.4 and see what you feel more at ease with.

Adrian B
OK
Thanks

Socket 1150 with Thunderbolt 2

How about this Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual with Thunderbolt 2!!! Not 2 conectors but Thunderbolt 2, 20Gb/s
If it works, this will be the motherboard for me!

But will it?

Frank that mobo is freaking awesome.. And asus board are often supported... Cross our fingers

http://www.tonymacx86.com/375-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2013.html#accessories - lists an LG combo player (its not a burner) from memory.

The Pioneer BDR-207DBK & Pioneer BDR-208DBK are both known to work and offer BD playback (with suitable software) as well as having BD recording feature.

Adrian B

I had the same question, because the LG on that list can only be bought used, and the Newegg link doesn't even take you to a product. I keep seeing a lot of issues pop up with regards to sleep, accidental drive ejection, etc. with other brands of drives. This discontinued drive always seemed to be the one pointed to as reliable. Is there by any chance another drive that people have used and recommend as reliable?

I've read of some problems with Pioneer drives, but that was a while back. Do you know if these ones have any issues with OSX?

Also, does anyone know about this LG Optical drive? (http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Rewriter-WH14NS40/dp/B007YWMCA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377274896&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+internal+bluray+burner) Its not the one on the recommended list, but its the only similar LG one I could find searching Amazon.

I had the same question, because the LG on that list can only be bought used, and the Newegg link doesn't even take you to a product. I keep seeing a lot of issues pop up with regards to sleep, accidental drive ejection, etc. with other brands of drives. This discontinued drive always seemed to be the one pointed to as reliable. Is there by any chance another drive that people have used and recommend as reliable?

I've read of some problems with Pioneer drives, but that was a while back. Do you know if these ones have any issues with OSX?

Also, does anyone know about this LG Optical drive? (http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Rewriter-WH14NS40/dp/B007YWMCA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377274896&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+internal+bluray+burner) Its not the one on the recommended list, but its the only similar LG one I could find searching Amazon.

Always make sure that firmware is reasonably up to date - that solves many issues. Both of the Pioneers that I listed work fine and are used by a number of builders. One of the Mods uses both without issue. The LG that you link is I think compatible, others have certainly used a 'new' LG BD burner of a similar price - I have not noted any issues. If you prefer to be certain - Go Pioneer :thumbup:

Adrian B

I need some help in deciding what type of motherboard would be well suited. I shop at Microcenter and I like the power that comes from the boards. They do not have any of the Z77 boards, They have mostly the Z87 boards. I do not want to spend a fortune on a board but would like the most bang for the buck. Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Mickey

I need some help in deciding what type of motherboard would be well suited. I shop at Microcenter and I like the power that comes from the boards. They do not have any of the Z77 boards, They have mostly the Z87 boards. I do not want to spend a fortune on a board but would like the most bang for the buck. Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Mickey

If they have no Z77 stock and you are looking for a Z87 Haswell option then how about either of these? GA-Z87X-UD3H or GA-Z87MX-D3H

Here is the Early adopters page for Haswell if you need other options : http://www.tonymacx86.com/358-early-adopter-s-guide-intel-s-haswell-cpus-8-series-motherboards.html

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back