Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I must be noted that the C600 Sas/Sata (8086:1d68) Controller on the Gigabyte X79S-UP5 may not be supported this moment.

It may be supported with the release of the new Mac Pro 2013.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide April 2013

Please forgive my extreme Mac noobiness in advance :crazy:

Having just retired after 23 years as an air traffic controller, I'm going to be starting a Web Design & Development Program at my local community college this summer. I will likely take some network administration classes at the same time. I've been building Windows-based computers for 20 years, but have no experience whatsoever with Macs or the Apple OS.

I would like to build a CustoMac system that will let me run Adobe's website design software, along with Photoshop and any other programs that I will need for my coursework. I am not a gamer, but would like to have enough system power to efficiently run a windows emulator simultaneously with my Mac programs.

I honestly have no idea which CustoMac configuration (CPU, memory, video card, etc.) would be best for me. I'm more afraid of not having enough system resources to do what I want to do, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay for computing power that I'll never use. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

KC
If you have money enough, I recommend you Intel Core i7 3770 (not the K version), It's the best CPU for VM (Windows Emulator for example). GA-H77-DS3H or GA-Z77-DS3H as a motherboard, 16GB of RAM (useful if you have a lots of programs in both OS X and Windows VM), a SSD and the graphics card of your choice, if the Intel HD 4000 isn't enough for you. Then, you can choose any case and power supply (but be careful of ATX/ mATX formats).

Great job guys!!

Hi, thank you for all the valuable advice. I am in the process of purchasing the recommended hardware to assemble my first computer! The usb flash drive recommended, I presume, to download the software from this website is no longer available on Amazon. This may be a trivial question, but is this particular flash drive the only one compatible with the hackintosh process or will just about any usb drive do the trick?

My Inno3D GTX 660 can't work OpenCL in mac os moutain lion 10.8.2.
Is that support right now?
I check
compatible for SystemInfo tools , But unkowns.
Is
Motherboard GA-B75M D3V full support right now? The Sound Card "ACL887" is not works.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide April 2013

Look on forum similar configurations (GA-Z77-DS3H or GA-H77-DS3H, only the Intel chipset differ, the Z one allow OC) to see what to choose on Multibeast. Update your bios (you need Windows or Cross-over (for Mac) to extract the bios file, then put it on a FAT32 drive, you can use your phone), old bios versions can cause many kernel panics, I experienced it myself on my GA-Z77-DS3H. Your Intel Graphics Chipset is not supported by OS X, so you need a graphic card to have QE/CI working. Then, you have to install bootloader: Chimera (available in Download section of this website) or Chameleon to boot without USB.
Personally, I used Multibeast only to install VoodooHD audio on 10.8.3 update, I used an all-in-one package for GA-Z77-DS3H (compatible with H77 chipsets).

Some links for you:
Configuring UEFI
A build using almost the same motherboard as you
All-in-one GA-Z77-DS3H package (need to install a patched AppleHDA or VoodooHD audio from Multibeast after)
UEFI/BIOS update Check your rev before updating, there is different files for each rev!!! (rev 1.0 or rev 1.1) (written on the motherboard)

If you have any problem that Google/forum search can't solve, you can reply here or post me me a pm

Lot of Thanks for your great help!!!

I had to buy a new Graphic Card and now I have my first Hackintosh running almost perfectly!!

My configuration: Mobo H77-DS3H ver 1.1 with F7, the last version of BIOS/UEFI software. Micro: 3450 Ivy Bridge, Graphic Card GF GT640.

I have used Kext Utility to add the kexts that I have found in this site http://www.osx86.net/view/3464-gigabyte_ga-h77-ds3hrev1.1_pack.html

Then I have used Chameleon tgz and Chameleon Wizard to boot without usb, and after reboot, I have used Multibeast with the "Audio / Non DSDT HDAEnabler / ALC887/888b" option.

Reboot again and the audio is working!!!

For the moment my problem is now to recognice my wifi card. The wifi card model is TL-WN751ND and the chipset is Atheros AR9227. I have tried to find a kext to install with Kext Utility but it seems that doesn't exist and the "fixes" of other kexts are causing freezes after a few minutes using. Any idea?

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back