Contribute
Register

Building a cheap Hackintosh for Logic Pro X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am completely new to this forum as well as building a Hackintosh. I am a through and through PC user but have just started a Music Technology course in college and all the work is done on Logic Pro.

I was hoping somebody could steer me in the right direction hardware wise for build a machine just for use on logic, and for a cheap as possible without causing problems, all my gaming is done on a PC so I don't need anything overly powerful, just enough to have a smooth experience with Logic.

Just as a little side note, I am currently using 2 monitors for my PC and will be dedicating one of them to the Mac now, I would like to use synergy to still allow me to use the same keyboard and mouse for both systems, as well as use for Youtube videos, Spotify, etc. I'd love to know if this would still be possible with a Hackintosh.

Cheers for your help guys!

I was hoping somebody could steer me in the right direction hardware wise for build a machine just for use on logic, and for a cheap as possible without causing problems, all my gaming is done on a PC so I don't need anything overly powerful, just enough to have a smooth experience with Logic.
I would probably help if you would define what you mean by "cheap".

Here is a hardware list from a build list I am working on. My understanding is that you already have a monitor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 ($299)
MOBO: GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 ATX ($165)
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2x16GB DDR4 2400 4U240FFFF16GX2 ($250)
OS drive: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 SSD MZ-V6E250BW ($125)
data drive: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4SSD MZ-V6E250BW ($125)
archive drive: WD Blue 4TB 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch WD40EZRZ ($109)
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Modular ($70)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 02G-P4-6150-KR, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) ($125)
case: ENERMAX Ostrog GT ECA3280A-BL Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($65)
cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 High Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 140mm ($90)

With a $30 rebate from Microcenter for buying the CPU and MOBO there, the above comes to $1393 without software.

This is in no way a budget build but is quite reasonable compared to apple hardware.

A few notes, the Samsung M.2 drives are not currently supported in OSX. I believe that they are supported in beta High Sierra but you will definitely have to wait to see if they remain supported when High Sierra is released. Otherwise you would need different boot and data drives. The above is set up to have a very high speed boot drive for OS and apps and a second very fast drive for project files and libraries. There is also an archive drive for backup.

There are many places where the above could be trimmed. The video card is pretty decent, but if you don't game at all or do any video work you may be able to get away with onboard. Not sure about dual monitors with onboard. Since it is easy to add a video card later, that is a good thing to skip if you have to. You could also skip the aftermarket cooling and go with the stock cooler. You might be able to get away with 16GB of RAM. This is also something you could add more of later if necessary. The same goes for the data drive. You could put everything on the 250GB OS drive if you had to and add more capacity later if you needed it.

If your budget is significantly lower than the list above, post back and I will see what I can put together. I could probably get the list down around $750 or so without completely gutting it. If the M.2 NVMe drives aren't going to be supported, then this could be microATX that would save even more.

Keep in mind that I haven't built this, it's just a part list I am putting together. The final list must be approved by someone who can confirm the configuration.

LMHmedchem

Hi all,

I am completely new to this forum as well as building a Hackintosh. I am a through and through PC user but have just started a Music Technology course in college and all the work is done on Logic Pro.

This is a very affordable build that performs well enough for logic.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/september/2017/#CustoMac_Budget_ATX

I would go with the I5-7500 and 16GB of ram. You can use the Integrated HD630 graphics to save some more money. Should be able to complete the build for 7-800 USD. Depends on how much and what kind of storage you'll need.

This is a very affordable build that performs well enough for logic.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/september/2017/#CustoMac_Budget_ATX

I would go with the I5-7500 and 16GB of ram. You can use the Integrated HD630 graphics to save some more money. Should be able to complete the build for 7-800 USD. Depends on how much and what kind of storage you'll need.

i have been thinking about the same thing, as far as a build goes. i would like to have Logic Pro X, Main Stage 3, Pro Tools 10 HD, Ableton Live 9, Studio One, Reaper Waves SoundGrid and StudioRack, eventually a SoundGrid server https://www.waves.com/hardware/soundgrid-server-one, Universal Audio apollo 16 and satellite http://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-16-mkii.html, an Antelope Goliath 64-Channel interface http://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/goliath-hd/, 3 each 500 series Preamps, EQs and compressors, and for making music videos, iMovie, perhaps Final Cut Pro. I do not have the finances for all this right at the moment.

i was thinking of building the CustoMac Pro with the listed ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX because of the large amounts of USB 2s, USB 3.0s, the HDMI and USB 3.1 on this particular motherboard. i am window shopping and preparing to build this and open to alternatives and suggestions. i noticed this ASUS MB has a 4 star amazon rating, while the other 2 motherboards have a 4 and 1/2 star rating.

i thought i might use the 500 GB SSD for the OS and run the programs and sample libraries on one of 2 Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDs and use the other 3 TBHD as a backup with redundancy backup on external portable HDs

i was looking at the SoundGrid Server and wondering if it is possible to make one at the consumer level, but this is probably outside the focus of this forum. i am just putting it out there as a request for building instructions for us struggling artists. that or the Universal Audio Satellite style DSP computer helper, if there is a difference between these. thanks for the site and the wisdom.

Hi all,

Just as a little side note, I am currently using 2 monitors for my PC and will be dedicating one of them to the Mac now, I would like to use synergy to still allow me to use the same keyboard and mouse for both systems, as well as use for Youtube videos, Spotify, etc. I'd love to know if this would still be possible with a Hackintosh.

I want to share my little experience, just to give you some more elements to calibrate your choice. I used an old MB Pro from 2008 for my work (not music), and used it with logic for my musical side activity, but it was way under the needs.

Economy in Italy (where I live) is not so flourishing, and I had a chance of buying an old HP Probook 4530s, with an i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, no HD and RAM, for something like 150 €!
I thought this would worth the risk, so I installed a Samsung 840 SSD 240Gb I had at home and 16 Gb of RAM (second hand, 70€), took out the CD and put a 2,5" 1TB hd (that I had already) on a caddy (7€) and installed El Capitain on the SSD, with Clover 4097 and MultiBeast. It went just great! I installed the USB interface drivers and the software, and I was ready to go!

I'm using it normally for my main work now, and, in the evening, I can run Logic X Pro with a full orchestra, around 30 tracks, all with Kontakt instances and various libraries (that I stored in the internal 1tb on the caddy, so it's on SATA and not USB 2), plus some on an external USB 2 hd. It runs smooth, and only when things get very complicated I, sometimes, have to stop and replay one time some part of the song to allow better loading (actually this seems to be a bug in Logic).
But, for the price, it has been a complete success!
What I mean is that, for a normal logic x use, you don't really need much of a bomb in term of hardware and CPU. Put your attention on RAM size (very important) and disk speed. I started with 8GB of Ram and it worked, but with some troubles. 16 GB changed completely.
Of course if you plan to load more than 100 kontakt instances, all with multi articulations of orchestral instruments, a bunch of plugins on every channels and 8 instance of Lexicon and Altiverb in auxiliary, things change completely.
But you didn't signed in the forum as "Hans Zimmer" or "Junkie XL", did you? :) :) :)

So my suggestion is that you look for a second hand machine, with a CPU starting from i5 2500 up to i7 whatsoever, support for 16 GB of Ram, a compatible mobo with SATA 3 (like a lot of ASUS or Gigabyte are), and a compatible GPU if needed (you might also use the integrated Intel GPU, that's what I do) and you'll be able to work without effort for a lot of time, probably with a budget around 400$!

That's my humble opinion :)
Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I do not know a lot about computers, but I have been using logic pro X for a few years. I think there is a possibility that it would take a few years to get to the level where you'll new something extra super powerful, but, because I don't know the performance difference of different computer set ups, I can't advise on this topic.

I am finally running into trouble with my Late 2013 iMac27 OS X 10.9.5, 3.2 GHz intel i5 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Graphics: NVIDA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB. I keep my computer connected to the internet, and Logic X can sometimes download massive amounts of info onto your hard drive behind the scenes without your knowledge. That is what I think happened to me. These files look like images from or for graphics for commercials. I thought someone had hacked my computer, but I did search on this found that logic can do this. These tens of thousands of images were mixed in with my music files. I have spent hours deleting them. There are so many that it still takes "finder", the main Mac file navigation program, about 10 seconds to open the default "all my files".

The reason i mention this is because I don't know if those files are effecting the computer's performance in Logic X. Often I will have 30 or 40 tracks and 10 lanes of automation. I think my lanes of automation are going to increase project by project, and I think automation of effects uses a lot of CPU resources.

There are also ways to lesson the CPU or RAM load, I think by having busses of effects and by sending aux tracks to access those effects, as oppose to having individual instances of effects on each track. Also, it is possible to bounce tracks in place (bip) tracks when the effect is set how you like it. After it has been bounced, it uses less CPU power. But this isn't ideal because there are so many effects to learn, it is hard to choose the finished product before the project is finished.

The other thing that has happened is that that my computer has retarded an audio track (as opposed to a internal instrument, AKA: MIDI track) in relation to the mix. It recorded normally, I mean without latency. So I had to advance the track and match it to the rest of the project. This was for a bass part and it made the bassist a little paranoid because it sounded like he didn't know how to play. So, I explained that it was a computer problem that I could easily fix, and I showed him how I advanced it; then it sounded fine. But this a good way to give yourself a bad name. So I do not recommend allowing this to happen to you.

Also be leery about updating your OS X operating system to it's latest version until you are sure all your software is compatible with the latest OS X update, especially the drivers for the audio interface. Some interfaces don't need drivers, and that is why I recommend getting one of those interfaces, to avoid this problem, or to reduce the likelihood of a conflict. I forget the term for this accept that it uses the word "core" or maybe "C.O.R.E." in the description of the software driver in relation to OS X. Focusrite was one company that used to offer this, but I don't know if they still do.

Hope some of this is useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep my computer connected to the internet, and Logic X can sometimes download massive amounts of info onto your hard drive behind the scenes without your knowledge. That is what I think happened to me. These files look like images from or for graphics for commercials. I thought someone had hacked my computer, but I did search on this found that logic can do this. These tens of thousands of images were mixed in with my music files. I have spent hours deleting them. There are so many that it still takes "finder", the main Mac file navigation program, about 10 seconds to open the default "all my files".

I am puzzled by these comments. LPX has an option to download additional files but it won't do it without your consent. You have to choose that menu option. An why in the world would you cripple those files by randomly removing images?

I NEVER use the "All My Files" Finder view and prevent that view from showing up as an option in the side bar.
I know where I put the files I want...I don't need Apple to hold my hand.

hi, thanks for your interest. any idea why LPX would give me the option to download literally tens of thousands of random commercial images? not video files, which i could almost understand, if i were to score them with music, but what do stills have to do with LPX? anyhow, i may have given my consent. i am not sure if you are familure with editing music in this way, cutting an audio clip by cutting it just before the snare hit and moving it to the 2 and 4 in a 4/4 time signature. i have hundreds of cuts and moving the file to align it in time. LPX has so many features and key commands that it could take a life time to learn them all. it is likely that i clicked something that triggered the download without even understanding what i did.

LPX offers a default location to save LPX projects in, a location called something like 'logic'. that default doesn't show up in 'finder' on its own, i'd have to figure out how to make it appear. perhaps i could find that in option in LPX 'preferences'? i wish i had done that because perhaps the image download would have gone into any other folder besides 'logic', and deleting them would not be such a big deal.

same goes with opening 'finder', the default opens in 'all my files'. i assume you are saying A) i can config 'finder' to open 'docs' instead if 'all my fiies' and B) that if i hold down 'option' while opening 'finder', i can open 'docs' instead of 'all my files', which is good to know, thanks again.

quote: An why in the world would you cripple those files by randomly removing images? end quote

this statement is way over my head. i realize i randomly downloaded image files, some portion of a TBs worth. i do not want those files in my computer, so why not spend the hours needed to remove them? the only reason not to is because i accidentally remove audio files from my projects that i need, but because of the sheer numbers of files i am deleting, i am bound to delete some of my project files too.

not only do i 'want to cripple those files' i want to pinch, bite, torture, blow up, draw and quarter those files, and any that survive that, i will twist their heads off and burn. nuf said about those files accept i get the feeling you are indicating my LPX project files, which are precious and holly. quite right, i do not wish to delete parts of my projects. i get the impression you know something i don't. corse, i am all ears.

on an interesting side note, apple, holding my hand, refused to obey my delete command after i clicked 'yes i'm sure i want to delete these files' and only deleted the unwanted images and not the LPX project files! at least not the ones that were not deleted. it may have deleted some of them. i won't know until i try to open a project with missing files. i do not know how apple did this, but thanks apple! i am tempted to just delete everything in 'docs' and see what i end up with. i would probably spend less time recreating the projects than deleting thousands upon thousands of images.

As a user of Logic Pro since version 2.4 I can tell you Logic does not download any graphic images, it has an audio library for "extra content" - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24721?locale=en_US
Thats all! I think you need to learn OSX a bit more, the "all files" is an option to find say a download but the finder works fine just browsing your documents like any other computers "explorer" style file system.
Automation doesn't use CPU but the plugins do.
I hope this helps..
I'd like to hear more about this build from the thread starter

I'd like to hear more about this build from the thread starter
i am not sure what you'd like to hear more about from the thread starter.

i am not sure if you are talking to me, but since i am not the thread starter, i will try to continue this conversation in the Bat Cave off topic forum under Operator Error in Logic Pro X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back