Contribute
Register

Building a Budget Haswell Build: How Low Can You Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
great thread... i just picked up the parts just waiting for a different case.

If I get a CPU that doesn't have HD 4000 (ivy) or HD 4600 (haswell) graphics then what special must I do to install Mavericks with a HD 5870 2GB card? Also if for some reason I have issues with my graphic card can I get at least even basic use out of the embedded graphics?

Also one thing I would like to point out is that when you are making these buying guides not everyone is looking to buy ALL the parts and they might be using some parts that they already own.

So for example someone might have laying around several compatible graphics cards and they may not have a need for a ton of ram. As for the other benefits who needs more than 2 Sata SataIII connectors and 2 SataII connectors... any normal HD can be connected to the SataII connectors with a minimal if any loss in performance. I doubt many people that are doing this on a budget will be running more than 2 SSD drives so 2 SataIII ports is plenty. You also have to remember the target market. We are comparing these to mac minis which can not have more than 2 HDs and use mobile processors. As for the USB 3.0... again it is similar to the SataII/III thing. Most devices don't benefit from USB 3.0 and you are probably not going to own more than (2) if any devices that do benefit. So for example I own (1) USB3 External HD and a USB3 thumb drive that can hit 200MB/s so I would just make sure I plugged those (2) devices into the USB3.0 ports and everything else into the USB 2 ports.

That being said...

I think it would be a great idea to offer a buying guide to the cheapest possible hackintosh with HD4600 and the cheapest possible hackintosh with non compatible embedded graphics and the cheapest compatible PCIe graphics card.

This way people who already own a compatible graphics card have an idea of what motherboard and processor would be the absolute cheapest they could get.

Celerons are dirt cheap... and you can buy compatible PCIe cards on ebay for $30 that have equivalent or better performance when compared to the HD4600.

Regardless the first time I read one of these buying guides my question was... so the cheap motherboards don't work??? Because you are recommending the Z boards on almost every build with maybe an H once in a while.

yes and yes

You dont need hd4600 for basic graphics, almost any card wil do this.

The cheapest build i can think of is h61 boards with ivy bridge pentium with a nvidia g210 or amd 6450

Buy second hand and you can reach the $100 mark.

If you dont use this machine for professional use, there is little or no point in future proofing.

Hello !
I'm choosing components for my first ever Intel Haswell Hackintosh and I want to be 100% sure if my build would work OOB. In the first post, there is a CPU Intel Core i3 4330, but in my local store there is only Intel Core i3 4130. Main difference between these CPUs is that i3 4330 has GPU HD4600 and i3 4130 has HD4400. But I've got my GPU HD6770. Could I even so buy Core i3 4130 ? I would like to run Mavericks well. And is AMD HD6770 supported ?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT ////

So I just want to say, that this "Budget Haswell Build" is working like a charm ! Integrated graphics (HD4600) is working as well OOB. Only kexts i needed to install were Audio, LAN and for AMD HD 6770. Now I'm running Mavericks very well. Thanks tonymacx86 !

just built mine with the parts above...went to 8gb on memory and did a different case but its up and running. Went much smoother then then my first rig. Running maverick.. had minor network issues but that was fixed with multibeast

Is there any chance, that GA-H81M-HD3 with i7 4770s will be able to output 4K resolution (uhd 3840x2160) via its DisplayPort 1.2 at 60 Hz?

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...intel-core-i7-4770k-and-i5-4670k.html?start=2

According to the article above HD 4600 supports 3840x2160@60Hz via DP. But mobo's specs on GIGABYTE's product page doesn't mention any 3840 x 2160, just 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4674#sp

Thanks!

No chance you'd get 4K at 60Hz with the integrated gfx. You'd have to have a dedicated gfx card
with at least 2Gb of vram for that. To top it off you'd need a 4K monitor that costs about 3000 USD.

would this pc be able to run gamesalad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back