Contribute
Register

Building a Budget Haswell Build: How Low Can You Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i know but it' s more expensive than a pentium. However my question would have been: to create an hackintosh, do i need just an intel cpu (it doesn' t matter which one) ?

An Intel Pentium G4400 Skylake will benchmark just as good as an Intel-i3-3220 ( Ivy Bridge ).
However I would use it along with an Nvidia GT 610/620/630 or better graphics card.

Look at this post
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/140-extreme-budget-skylake-build.197572/

Benchmarks do not tell you how a processor works in real life, Pentium processors lack hyper-threading which is really handy even when running a small number of light applications.

yeah i know but it' s more expensive than a pentium. However my question would have been: to create an hackintosh, do i need just an intel cpu (it doesn' t matter which one) ?

Technically it is possible to run OS X on a basic pentium proccessor, but we do not recommend doing so. I used a G2020 processor with my first build in May 2013. I built an i5 machine in December to replace that build and then updated the earlier Pentium build. The only original part from the first build is the main board as everything else has been upgraded which wasn't the best long term way to build a computer but it did work.

Hi! Just would like to refresh it a bit. What spec would have to be for making yosemite hackintosh in 2017, with budget around $170. Possibly the best spec, mainly CPU, MOBO, GPU. I can find rest in my house. I do not play games, purley for hd video, music compilation and youtube video editing. Might I ask for some complete setup, please?
Thanks in advance

Hi! Just would like to refresh it a bit. What spec would have to be for making yosemite hackintosh in 2017, with budget around $170. Possibly the best spec, mainly CPU, MOBO, GPU. I can find rest in my house. I do not play games, purley for hd video, music compilation and youtube video editing. Might I ask for some complete setup, please?
Thanks in advance
For video editing on a Haswell system there's really no way you can do that well for $170 even if you are buying used parts.

How Low Can You Go ?
Probably a Lot Lower in 2020 ! If you were to duplicate exactly the build in the OP it should be under 120 dollars total. That is 230 dollars lower than it would have cost in 2013/14.

A Dell 3020 H81 chipset motherboard for 15 plus an i3-4330 for 35. You'd use built in HD4600.
You could put it in any 20 dollar micro-ATX case and use a Dell ATX PSU that costs about 14 dollars. 4 GB or 2 x 2 GBs of ram for under 10 dollars and finally a small SSD for under 25 dollars.

Last edited:
A Dell 3020 H81 chipset motherboard for 15 plus an i3-4330 for 35. You'd use built in HD4600.
You could put it in any 20 dollar micro-ATX case and use a Dell ATX PSU that costs about 14 dollars. 4 GB or 2 x 2 GBs of ram for under 10 dollars and finally a small SSD for under 25 dollars.

I can save you $10 on your Dell 3020 H81 chipset, $20 micro-ATX case and Dell ATX PSU by recommending this instead. it has Intel Q87 express chipset and robably one of my best purchases and in mint condition, you can see some photos here.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 8.32.19 PM.png

My current Haswell build inside this barebone is a little bit expensive at $213.16.
It has an 15-4690K $90
8GB Ram $26.06
HP EX900 M.2 250 GB $29.32
NGFF M Key M.2 NVMe AHCI SSD to PCIe adapter $2.27
Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCIe BT4.0 Wifi PCIe express adapter card $25.99
Oh!, and a 500 GB WD Blue HDD that was given to me. It's also my boot and backup disk.

And if you follow trs96 advice and get the processor, ram and SSD you'd be close to the $100 mark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back