Contribute
Register

Building a Budget Haswell Build: How Low Can You Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see skylake being a budget option. Not for a while anyway. I was really excited about the new ultra thin mb with the exaggerated atom cpu...

Really thought a good budget option would open up but it's pretty shocking how much Intel is asking for their overrated atom cpu ...

Thoughts on new mb
Don't get me wrong get me wrong... Getting the same performance of a 2012 desktop cousin such a small soc is impressive I don't think they have come as far as they should have or could have and frankly think the space is quiet stagnant... Maybe not enough competition..?

Any way I hope it forces apple to go back to better software optimization... IMHO I feel this has been a very low priority of Apple lately and that they are more focused on getting retina and new hardware out..

Sorry but these are the rantings of a angered early retina Mac book and iPhone 6 Plus adapter

Both products are very laggy and slow mostly thanks to bad software optimization and lcd resolutions that hw couldn't handle.

Hi,

A Reason for build a hackintosh over buying a New Mac is for functionality.
Also I already own allot of computer components and I don't want to discard them.

I want to be able to put all my drives in one computer case.
( SSD's' Hard drives, Card readers, Blu-ray, Graphics cards, Sound Cards, Wifi-ac cards ).

Card readers have often been an issue since Mavericks came out. Always do an installation without a card reader being connected to a board.

What is the Best supported motherboard that works Vanilla with OS-X, or with little additional kexts or with known working fully supported kexts ?

You will always need to add ethernet, audio and Fake SMC kext support when using PC hardware. There are many very good boards. Look for something that fulfills your requirements for what you need a computer to do now.

I want Power management to work ( Sleep/Wake ) , Audio, HDMI, Graphics, USB-3.0, Ethernet Networking.

Power Management(Ivy Bridge and newer)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html
Audio, HDMI audio etc are all covered in stickies in each of the relevant parts of the forum. USB 3.0 has seen some changes implemented (by Apple) in El Capitan. There is an updated MultiBeast and threads dealing with this. You can also buy supported PCIe cards.

What Power supply do you recommend that works with ( Sleep / wake )?

A 500W minimum PSU from a major manufacturer that is Haswell verified to deal with the low voltage states that Haswell hardware deals with. Get a minimum of at least a top end Bronze or a Gold PSU if you can - if you need quiet then look at either a silent model or one that the fan is temperature controlled for speed.
http://powersupplycalculator.net/

Is the Gigabyte Intel H81M-HD3 Motherboard fully supported under OS-X ?
Will all functions work?

It does to the best of my knowledge (USB 3.0 on El Capitan in particularcan be an issue on any board)

What is the best supported motherboard x99 ?
I am looking at GA-x99-UD4 or UD3

Usual caveat (best supported can change over time) - what board would work best for you and what do people that own and use these boards say about them? Not everyone will care if USB 3.0 works or even use all features. Remember you are hacking hardware that it designed to run Windows and perhaps Linux.

What is the best supported motherboard for z97 build ?
I am looking at GA-x97-UD3, UD4, or UD5

Usual caveat (best supported can change over time)
I have (like may others) a GA-Z97X-UD3H, if you need the features of either the UD4 or UD5, then they would be worth considering.

For Video and Audio editing do you recommend an Intel-i5 or i7 ?

An i7 is always the better option for either video or audio work.They do eat through work faster than an i5 and will do other background tasks with ease at the same time. If you only do a bit of light editing and occasional audio production then you will get away with using an i5 processor - work will just take a little longer to complete.
It is worth mentioning that technically even a simple i3 would complete an audio or video project given enough time.

Hello!

I'm Thinking in build an cheapest machine.

I was inspired by a video and by my poorness.

This is the hardware:

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h61m-s1 Lga1155 Oem
- Processor Celeron Dual-core G1610 Lga 1155 2.6ghz
- Memory RAM Kingston 4gb 1333 Ddr3
- Graphic card Geforce Gt 210 Evga

The motherboard In the vídeo was GA-H61M-HD2, but in my reality, this mobo is not available.

So i would like to know if the mobo Ga-h61m-s1 has compatibility with rest of hardware and with OSX?

OS X 10 will lag with this hardware configuration in normal use?

Thanks for your support!
Juliano

This is the hardware:

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h61m-s1 Lga1155 Oem
- Processor Celeron Dual-core G1610 Lga 1155 2.6ghz
- Memory RAM Kingston 4gb 1333 Ddr3
- Graphic card Geforce Gt 210 Evga

So i would like to know if the mobo Ga-h61m-s1 has compatibility with rest of hardware and with OSX?

OS X 10 will lag with this hardware configuration in normal use?

The GA-H61M-S1 should work with OS X, the rest of the items look compatible too. Technically the Processor is actually newer technology than the motherboard and this may give some rise to installation difficulty with OS X. You must also use a GPU like the GT210 to have the processor running OS X.

Your system bottlenecks will be using a HDD over an SSD, only having 4GB RAM (8GB much better), then the processor as it is only a 2 core with no additional threads to multi task better.
You can add RAM and an SSD at a later date to boost the performance and feel which will give you a much better experience that you will like much more. :thumbup:

Good luck with your build - keep on the look out for a suitable i3 or above processor on the second hand market

The GA-H61M-S1 should work with OS X, the rest of the items look compatible too. Technically the Processor is actually newer technology than the motherboard and this may give some rise to installation difficulty with OS X. You must also use a GPU like the GT210 to have the processor running OS X.

Your system bottlenecks will be using a HDD over an SSD, only having 4GB RAM (8GB much better), then the processor as it is only a 2 core with no additional threads to multi task better.
You can add RAM and an SSD at a later date to boost the performance and feel which will give you a much better experience that you will like much more. :thumbup:

Good luck with your build - keep on the look out for a suitable i3 or above processor on the second hand market

Thanks Adrian!

Every moment spent researching, worth it. Thinking about your suggestions, I have done a new configuration, by the same price.

About HDD and SSD, for now i will use an HDD 500GB 7.500RPM, but at soon, i will buy and SSD to system.

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h81m-h Lga 1150 Hdmi Usb 3.0 (it has HDMI, so no needs for Graphic card)
- Processor Intel Celeron G1820 - 2.7 GHz - 2MB Cache - Socket 1150 (4ª Generation, Haswell)
- RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury 8Gb (2x4GB) Ddr3 Black 1600mhz (it makes overclock automatically!)

will this new config to solve the problems about upgrade to I3 or I5 latter, and technology between motherboard and processor?

For now thanks a lot, about everything, by your patience with a begginer like me.
Juliano

Last edited:
Thanks Adrian!

Every moment spent researching, worth it. Thinking about your suggestions, I have done a new configuration, by the sabe price.

About HDD and SSD, for now i will use an HDD 500GB 7.500RPM, but at soon, i will buy and SSD to system.

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h81m-h Lga 1150 Hdmi Usb 3.0 (it has HDMI, so no needs for Graphic card)
- Processor Intel Celeron G1820 - 2.7 GHz - 2MB Cache - Socket 1150 (4ª Generation, Haswell)
- RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury 8Gb (2x4GB) Ddr3 Black 1600mhz (it makes overclock automatically!)

will this new config to solve the problems about upgrade to I3 or I5 latter, and technology between motherboard and processor?

The G1820 Intel HD graphics are not supported in OS X. Get the I3 to use your board's HDMI output.

The G1820 Intel HD graphics are not supported in OS X. Get the I3 to use your board's HDMI output.

Uolll.... just in time! I've already bought the motherboard and the RAM.

So any sugestion wich I3 model is appropriated to my case (compatible and cheap)? maybe the i3 4160, 4170?

Thanks!
Juliano

Last edited:
Uolll.... just in time! I've already bought the motherboard and the RAM.

So any sugestion wich I3 model is appropriated to my case (compatible and cheap)?

Thanks!
Juliano
You'll have to compare prices at the stores you shop at. Look at the I3-4330 4340/4360/4370 etc. The higher the number the faster is the cpu clock speed. Here in the US the I3-4360 is the best value right now. You'll probably need to flash the Bios of your motherboard to make one of these work with it.

You'll have to compare prices at the stores you shop at. Look at the I3-4330 4340/4360/4370 etc. The higher the number the faster is the cpu clock speed. Here in the US the I3-4360 is the best value right now. You'll probably need to flash the Bios of your motherboard to make one of these work with it.

I decided to buy bit by bit, to build a good machine, so maybe i buy an i5 processor next month.

Thank you very much
Juliano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back