Contribute
Register

Building a Budget Haswell Build: How Low Can You Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z77m d3h mvp rev 1.0 bios f6
CPU
i5 3507k
Graphics
gtx 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't see skylake being a budget option. Not for a while anyway. I was really excited about the new ultra thin mb with the exaggerated atom cpu...

Really thought a good budget option would open up but it's pretty shocking how much Intel is asking for their overrated atom cpu ...

Thoughts on new mb
Don't get me wrong get me wrong... Getting the same performance of a 2012 desktop cousin such a small soc is impressive I don't think they have come as far as they should have or could have and frankly think the space is quiet stagnant... Maybe not enough competition..?

Any way I hope it forces apple to go back to better software optimization... IMHO I feel this has been a very low priority of Apple lately and that they are more focused on getting retina and new hardware out..

Sorry but these are the rantings of a angered early retina Mac book and iPhone 6 Plus adapter

Both products are very laggy and slow mostly thanks to bad software optimization and lcd resolutions that hw couldn't handle.

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Nvidia GT 710, Dual HDMI, 1080p
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unbelievably this build comes out to about $350 as of the time of this posting.

You may ask, why not go with a cheaper CPU? The answer is, the lower end CPU graphics don't work in OS X; you need to buy a graphics card in addition to the above components if you use a Haswell CPU without Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics. We priced out using the cheapest $60 Pentium CPU and a $30 graphics card. When the dust settles, you can shave about $60 off of the price, making the CheapoMac less than $300. However, you get an inferior graphics solution such as the Fermi-based NVIDIA GeForce 610. In the end, using the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics with the low end Core i3-4330 is the best bang for the buck.

Can you spec out an even cheaper compatible Haswell Build? Post your build here. :)

I have had success hackintoshing a "Lenovo TS140" with Intel-i3 Haswell and Intel Xeon CPU.

You can buy these New on Amazon or eBay from $199 - $300.

They perform very well and run quiet.

I added a Samsung Evo 850 SDD, Nvidia GT610 Graphics card, and Apple Broadcom 802.11AC Wi-Fi BCM94360CD PCI-E Wireless Card.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ld-keywords=lenovo+ts140&tag=tonymacx86com-20

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Xlenovo+ts140.TRS0&_nkw=lenovo+ts140&_sacat=0

51zTU39c2FL._SY355_.jpg

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Mainstream Chipsets

H87 - 6 SATA 6gbps, 32GB RAM support, Crossfire/SLI support
Z87 - 6 SATA 6gbps, 32GB RAM support, Support for Overclocking

Budget Chipsets
B85 4 SATA 6gbps, 2 SATA 3gbps, 32GB/16GB RAM support (depends on model)
H81 2 SATA 6gbps, 2 SATA 3gbps, 16GB RAM support

Specialty Chipsets
Q85/Q87- support for Intel vPRO technology

Even if you fall into these categories, know that by saving some money now you're limiting future expandability of the motherboard. Hence, our recommendation for 8-series motherboards is to choose H87/Z87. These are going to be the most future proof. You can find a selection in the latest Buyer's Guide.

For fun, we spec'd out the following "CheapoMac" build on the latest Haswell and 8-series bits. This is not a recommended build, however you may be able to save up to $200 by cheaping out on the motherboard, case, and ram.

Hi,

A Reason for build a hackintosh over buying a New Mac is for functionality.
Also I already own allot of computer components and I don't want to discard them.

I want to be able to put all my drives in one computer case.
( SSD's' Hard drives, Card readers, Blu-ray, Graphics cards, Sound Cards, Wifi-ac cards ).

I have some questions about hackintosh builds:

What is the Best supported motherboard that works Vanilla with OS-X, or with little additional kexts or with known working fully supported kexts ?

I want Power management to work ( Sleep/Wake ) , Audio, HDMI, Graphics, USB-3.0, Ethernet Networking.

What Power supply do you recommend that works with ( Sleep / wake )?

Is the Gigabyte Intel H81M-HD3 Motherboard fully supported under OS-X ?
Will all functions work?

What is the best supported motherboard x99 ?
I am looking at GA-x99-UD4 or UD3

What is the best supported motherboard for z97 build ?
I am looking at GA-x97-UD3, UD4, or UD5

For Video and Audio editing do you recommend an Intel-i5 or i7 ?

- thanks in advanced.

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
$299 at Newegg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Deskto...093118?hash=item58d515babe:g:FLAAAOSwl9BWJ5SG

83-221-081-13.jpg

ASUSModelD510MT-I34160081FQuick InfoTypeStudent/Home officeForm FactorMini TowerUsageConsumerProcessorIntel Core i3-4160 3.6 GHzProcessor Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorCache Per Processor3 MB L3 CacheMemory4 GB DDR3Storage500 GB SATA 7200 RPMOptical DriveTray-in Supermulti DVD RW 24XGraphicsIntel HD Graphics 4600EthernetGigabit EthernetPower SupplyPEAK 350W 80 PLUSOperating SystemWindows 7 Professional Pre-installed with Windows 8.1 Pro KeyMotherboardChipsetIntel H81CPUCPU TypeIntel Core i3CPU Speed4160 (3.60 GHz)L3 Cache Per CPU3 MBCPU Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorGraphicsGPU/VGA TypeIntel HD Graphics 4600Graphics InterfaceIntegrated videoMemoryMemory Capacity4 GB DDR3Hard DriveHDD500 GBHDD InterfaceSATAHDD RPM7200rpmOptical DriveOptical Drive TypeDVD Super MultiOptical Drive SpecTray-in Supermulti DVD RW 24XCommunicationsLAN Speed10/100/1000MbpsFront Panel PortsFront USB2 x USB 2.0
2 x USB 3.0Front Audio Ports2Back Panel PortsCOM1LPT1PS/22Video Ports1 VGA, 1 DVIRear USB2 x USB 2.0RJ451 portRear Audio Ports3 portsExpansionPCI Slots (Available/Total)1 PCI-e x1
1 PCI-e x16
1 PCIMouseMouse TypeUSB MouseKeyboardKeyboard TypeUSB KeyboardDimensions & WeightDimensions (H x W x D)14.3" x 7" x 15.4"Weight20 lbs.

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
$359

Asus Intel i3 Haswell with 8gb. ram and 2tb. Hard-drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Deskto...880449?hash=item462f749601:g:jGMAAOSwVFlUDKR~

s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg

[h=1]ASUS M11AD-US009O[/h]ModelBrandASUSModelM11AD-US009OQuick InfoTypeStudent/Home officeUsageConsumerColorsBlackProcessorIntel Core i3-4150 3.5 GHzProcessor Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorCache Per Processor3 MB L3 CacheMemory8 GB DDR3 1600Storage2 TB 7200 RPMOptical Drive24x DVD-RWGraphicsIntel HD Graphics 4400EthernetGigabit EthernetPower Supply300WOperating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-BitMotherboardChipsetIntel H81CPUCPU TypeIntel Core i3CPU Speed4150 (3.50 GHz)L3 Cache Per CPU3 MBCPU Main Features64 bit Dual Core ProcessorGraphicsGPU/VGA TypeIntel HD Graphics 4400Graphics InterfaceIntegrated videoMemoryMemory Capacity8 GB DDR3Memory SpeedDDR3 1600Memory Spec8 GB x 1Memory Slot (Total)2Hard DriveHDD2 TBHDD RPM7200rpmOptical DriveOptical Drive Type24x DVD-RWDisplayScreen SizeNo ScreenAudioAudio Channels6 channelsAudio FeaturesHigh Definition Audio Codec
Sonic MasterCommunicationsLAN Speed10/100/1000MbpsFront Panel PortsFront USB2 x USB 2.0Front Audio Ports2Card Reader6-in-1 Card ReaderBack Panel PortsVideo Ports1 VGA, 1 HDMIRear USB4 x USB 2.0
2 x USB 3.0RJ451 portRear Audio Ports3 portsExpansionPCI Slots (Available/Total)2 PCI-e x1
1 PCI-e x16MouseMouse TypeUSB MouseKeyboardKeyboard TypeUSB KeyboardDimensions & WeightDimensions (H x W x D)14.20" x 6.80" x 15.80"Weight17.40 lbs.

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi,

A Reason for build a hackintosh over buying a New Mac is for functionality.
Also I already own allot of computer components and I don't want to discard them.

I want to be able to put all my drives in one computer case.
( SSD's' Hard drives, Card readers, Blu-ray, Graphics cards, Sound Cards, Wifi-ac cards ).

Card readers have often been an issue since Mavericks came out. Always do an installation without a card reader being connected to a board.

What is the Best supported motherboard that works Vanilla with OS-X, or with little additional kexts or with known working fully supported kexts ?

You will always need to add ethernet, audio and Fake SMC kext support when using PC hardware. There are many very good boards. Look for something that fulfills your requirements for what you need a computer to do now.

I want Power management to work ( Sleep/Wake ) , Audio, HDMI, Graphics, USB-3.0, Ethernet Networking.

Power Management(Ivy Bridge and newer)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html
Audio, HDMI audio etc are all covered in stickies in each of the relevant parts of the forum. USB 3.0 has seen some changes implemented (by Apple) in El Capitan. There is an updated MultiBeast and threads dealing with this. You can also buy supported PCIe cards.

What Power supply do you recommend that works with ( Sleep / wake )?

A 500W minimum PSU from a major manufacturer that is Haswell verified to deal with the low voltage states that Haswell hardware deals with. Get a minimum of at least a top end Bronze or a Gold PSU if you can - if you need quiet then look at either a silent model or one that the fan is temperature controlled for speed.
http://powersupplycalculator.net/

Is the Gigabyte Intel H81M-HD3 Motherboard fully supported under OS-X ?
Will all functions work?

It does to the best of my knowledge (USB 3.0 on El Capitan in particularcan be an issue on any board)

What is the best supported motherboard x99 ?
I am looking at GA-x99-UD4 or UD3

Usual caveat (best supported can change over time) - what board would work best for you and what do people that own and use these boards say about them? Not everyone will care if USB 3.0 works or even use all features. Remember you are hacking hardware that it designed to run Windows and perhaps Linux.

What is the best supported motherboard for z97 build ?
I am looking at GA-x97-UD3, UD4, or UD5

Usual caveat (best supported can change over time)
I have (like may others) a GA-Z97X-UD3H, if you need the features of either the UD4 or UD5, then they would be worth considering.

For Video and Audio editing do you recommend an Intel-i5 or i7 ?

An i7 is always the better option for either video or audio work.They do eat through work faster than an i5 and will do other background tasks with ease at the same time. If you only do a bit of light editing and occasional audio production then you will get away with using an i5 processor - work will just take a little longer to complete.
It is worth mentioning that technically even a simple i3 would complete an audio or video project given enough time.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Ga-h81m-h Lga 1150 Hdmi Usb 3.0
CPU
Intel core I5-4440 3.1GHZ 6MB LGA1150 BOX 4ª generation
Graphics
Hello!

I'm Thinking in build an cheapest machine.

I was inspired by a video and by my poorness.

This is the hardware:

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h61m-s1 Lga1155 Oem
- Processor Celeron Dual-core G1610 Lga 1155 2.6ghz
- Memory RAM Kingston 4gb 1333 Ddr3
- Graphic card Geforce Gt 210 Evga

The motherboard In the vídeo was GA-H61M-HD2, but in my reality, this mobo is not available.

So i would like to know if the mobo Ga-h61m-s1 has compatibility with rest of hardware and with OSX?

OS X 10 will lag with this hardware configuration in normal use?

Thanks for your support!
Juliano

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
This is the hardware:

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h61m-s1 Lga1155 Oem
- Processor Celeron Dual-core G1610 Lga 1155 2.6ghz
- Memory RAM Kingston 4gb 1333 Ddr3
- Graphic card Geforce Gt 210 Evga

So i would like to know if the mobo Ga-h61m-s1 has compatibility with rest of hardware and with OSX?

OS X 10 will lag with this hardware configuration in normal use?

The GA-H61M-S1 should work with OS X, the rest of the items look compatible too. Technically the Processor is actually newer technology than the motherboard and this may give some rise to installation difficulty with OS X. You must also use a GPU like the GT210 to have the processor running OS X.

Your system bottlenecks will be using a HDD over an SSD, only having 4GB RAM (8GB much better), then the processor as it is only a 2 core with no additional threads to multi task better.
You can add RAM and an SSD at a later date to boost the performance and feel which will give you a much better experience that you will like much more. :thumbup:

Good luck with your build - keep on the look out for a suitable i3 or above processor on the second hand market

Motherboard
Gigabyte Ga-h81m-h Lga 1150 Hdmi Usb 3.0
CPU
Intel core I5-4440 3.1GHZ 6MB LGA1150 BOX 4ª generation
Graphics
The GA-H61M-S1 should work with OS X, the rest of the items look compatible too. Technically the Processor is actually newer technology than the motherboard and this may give some rise to installation difficulty with OS X. You must also use a GPU like the GT210 to have the processor running OS X.

Your system bottlenecks will be using a HDD over an SSD, only having 4GB RAM (8GB much better), then the processor as it is only a 2 core with no additional threads to multi task better.
You can add RAM and an SSD at a later date to boost the performance and feel which will give you a much better experience that you will like much more. :thumbup:

Good luck with your build - keep on the look out for a suitable i3 or above processor on the second hand market

Thanks Adrian!

Every moment spent researching, worth it. Thinking about your suggestions, I have done a new configuration, by the same price.

About HDD and SSD, for now i will use an HDD 500GB 7.500RPM, but at soon, i will buy and SSD to system.

- Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h81m-h Lga 1150 Hdmi Usb 3.0 (it has HDMI, so no needs for Graphic card)
- Processor Intel Celeron G1820 - 2.7 GHz - 2MB Cache - Socket 1150 (4ª Generation, Haswell)
- RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury 8Gb (2x4GB) Ddr3 Black 1600mhz (it makes overclock automatically!)

will this new config to solve the problems about upgrade to I3 or I5 latter, and technology between motherboard and processor?

For now thanks a lot, about everything, by your patience with a begginer like me.
Juliano

Last edited:

corei3cpu

Banned
Motherboard
HP Intel 6300
CPU
Intel i5-3470
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I keep seeing the same post over and over again in Buying Advice. It's how can I go even more budget. There are places that you don't want to cheap out, such as the CPU. There are other places, such as the motherboard that you might be able to skimp out if you have specific usage cases.

1. If you use few drives
2. If you have no need for more than 16GB RAM
3. If you use few peripherals

When choosing a motherboard, it’s important to note the chipset. Each year Intel releases a few alternate versions of the consumer chipset in order to cater to different budgets and usages.

The budget H81 chipset has a few big limitations vs. Z87 and H87. First it has 2 slots for a maximum of 16GB of RAM. Second it only has 4 SATA ports, 2 SATA 3gbps and 2 SATA 6gbps. Certain variants of the H81 chipset have support for legacy connectors such as COM, LPT. The B85 chipset motherboards mainly have 2 RAM slots, but double to 4 SATA 6gbps and 2 SATA 2gbps ports. These chipsets both have less USB ports as well.

The mainstream H87 and Z87 chipsets have 6 SATA 6gbps ports. Z87 has more durability and full support for overclocking both unlocked CPUs and the RAM.
Mainstream Chipsets
H87 - 6 SATA 6gbps, 32GB RAM support, Crossfire/SLI support
Z87 - 6 SATA 6gbps, 32GB RAM support, Support for Overclocking

Budget Chipsets
B85 4 SATA 6gbps, 2 SATA 3gbps, 32GB/16GB RAM support (depends on model)
H81 2 SATA 6gbps, 2 SATA 3gbps, 16GB RAM support

Specialty Chipsets
Q85/Q87- support for Intel vPRO technology​

Even if you fall into these categories, know that by saving some money now you're limiting future expandability of the motherboard. Hence, our recommendation for 8-series motherboards is to choose H87/Z87. These are going to be the most future proof. You can find a selection in the latest Buyer's Guide.

For fun, we spec'd out the following "CheapoMac" build on the latest Haswell and 8-series bits. This is not a recommended build, however you may be able to save up to $200 by cheaping out on the motherboard, case, and ram.

cpu.jpg
Core i3-4330
Newegg
mATX.png
GA-H81M-HD3
Newegg
hdd.jpg
500GB HDD
Newegg
rosewillcase.jpg
Rosewill mATX Tower + 450w PSU
Amazon US
(CAN UK DE ES FR IT)
Newegg
ballistix.png
Crucial Ballistix Sport
4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Newegg

Unbelievably this build comes out to about $350 as of the time of this posting.

You may ask, why not go with a cheaper CPU? The answer is, the lower end CPU graphics don't work in OS X; you need to buy a graphics card in addition to the above components if you use a Haswell CPU without Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics. We priced out using the cheapest $60 Pentium CPU and a $30 graphics card. When the dust settles, you can shave about $60 off of the price, making the CheapoMac less than $300. However, you get an inferior graphics solution such as the Fermi-based NVIDIA GeForce 610. In the end, using the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics with the low end Core i3-4330 is the best bang for the buck.

Can you spec out an even cheaper compatible Haswell Build? Post your build here. :)

I have seen Intel-i3 Haswell CPU for as low as $75 at Fry's Electronics via Promo Code which you can get for FREE when you shop the store just ask for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.