Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Intended to upgrade my rig with a brand new GPU-card (Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8Gb). Used the 8/6+2-pin PCI-E connector supplied with the PSU, checked and double-checked all connections, both cables and PCI-E socket. Everything seems OK - but the machine won't power on, completely dead. No sign of life.
Then I removed the 6+2 pin power-cable from the GPU-side (but keep the cable plugged in on the PSU side of things), and the Hackintosh fires up and everything works fine (using the I5s onboard gpu.) Shutting down the Hack and re-install GPU card over again - and everything is dead. Any ideas, anyone? Is the new GPU-card toast? The PSU? I guess it is not a BIOS-issue or anything, since the build never powers on. Am I missing something here?

Parts:
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3
Intel Core i5-8600K
Fractal Design Integra M 550W PSU

Ken

Last edited:
No fans spin up or anything? Like literally nothing happens if you push the power button? What happens if you don't plug in the PCI-E power connector? it won't boot like that but the machine should try to post and fans should spin up. it sounds like something is shorted. super weird.

No fans spin up or anything? Like literally nothing happens if you push the power button? What happens if you don't plug in the PCI-E power connector? it won't boot like that but the machine should try to post and fans should spin up. it sounds like something is shorted. super weird.

Nope - no fans or anything when I push power on. Removing the PCI-E connector, and it powers up normally and runs as it used to do (with internal graphics). Its very weird, indeed. Either the Sapphire Card is dead/short - or the PSU has a fault on the PCI-E outlet pins... The thing is that I don't have access to another machine for testing these components.
Maybe I just have to return the Sapphire card, and start from scratch (maybe with a new PSU as well) - but I rather not start spending more money if someone have experienced these problems, or similar - and have a "quick fix"

weird. You definitely have some sort of hardware issue. I don't know how to solve it without some hardware swapping and trial and error.

Either the Sapphire Card is dead/short - or the PSU has a fault on the PCI-E outlet pins...

@KennethMonsen,

Since the 12V supply on the PCI-E/dGPU 8/6+2 pin power connectors comes from a common 12V rail in the PSU, I would say it's unlikely to be a PSU issue, as you confirm that the system works ok when the dGPU is not powered.

I assume that you have tried it in a different slot and/or re-seating it ?

My guess is that it's a dead dGPU ... you should be able to return it under warranty.

Cheers
Jay

Odd question, do you have a multi-meter? Can you check the voltage going to the connector?

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back