Contribute
Register

Build recommendations for running MacOS audio recording/editing software, programs from the App Store, and Windows 10 via Bootcamp and/or Parallel

Motherboard
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
This is my first build and I'm trying to build my Hackintosh so that it has full compatibility with programs that were designed/coded for Mac. I'm using it mainly for audio programs, using ProTools and Logic Pro. I'm also hoping to use Bootcamp or Parallel to run Windows 10 for gaming.

ProTools is owned by Avid, a loyal Apple affiliate and you need a Mac OS to run it without running into issues.
I purchased Logic Pro from the Apple website and need to download it from the App store, along with other programs.

These are the components I am looking at buying, all of which are listed in the buyer's guide under CustoMac mATX, except for the PSU and Case. The buyer's guide recommends the Corsair CS 550 Watt PSU, one question I have is whether I use that specific PSU or another 550 W?

I would really appreciate any recommendations for hardware that will enable to accomplish what I have in mind.

Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Corsair - H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card
NZXT - H500i ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Attachments

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm also hoping to use Bootcamp or Parallel to run Windows 10 for gaming.
Since this is PC hardware, there is no need to use Bootcamp. Install Windows on it's own separate drive just as you would any Windows compatible PC. If you want to run Windows via a Paralells VM you can do that as well.
The buyer's guide recommends the Corsair CS 550 Watt PSU, one question I have is whether I use that specific PSU or another 550 W?
You can use the EVGA PSU or any other name brand you like as long as it meets your power requirements.
I would really appreciate any recommendations for hardware that will enable to accomplish what I have in mind.
Now that Sata SSDs are so affordable why not include one (250 GB or more) to use as a boot drive ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Thanks, super helpful!

I'm looking into including a SSD. In terms of compatibility for Mac, is the Samsung - 860 Evo the way to go for a 250 or 500 GB SSD as suggested on the Buyer's Guide? I only ask because they're more expensive than a lot of other SSDs, but if Macs are particular to that brand for compatibility then it's obviously worth the investment.

I'm also considering using a 1 or 2 TB SSD drive instead of a HDD, but because their form factors have a 1" difference and the buyer's guide only suggests 250 or 500 GB Samsung - 860 EVO for SSDs, I'm wondering if higher capacity SSDs would work? It might seem unnecessary to ask but I want to make sure.

trs96 you mentioned that SSDs are now affordable, but I see the 2 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD listed for about $350 more than the 2 TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD. If it is possible to use a 1 or 2 TB SSD instead of a HDD for a Hackintosh build, are there any more affordable options than the Samsung - 860 that are also compatible and equal or similar quality?

Any feedback on this would be really helpful, thanks!

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Thanks, super helpful!

I'm looking into including a SSD. In terms of compatibility for Mac, is the Samsung - 860 Evo the way to go for a 250 or 500 GB SSD as suggested on the Buyer's Guide? I only ask because they're more expensive than a lot of other SSDs, but if Macs are particular to that brand for compatibility then it's obviously worth the investment.

I'm also considering using a 1 or 2 TB SSD drive instead of a HDD, but because their form factors have a 1" difference and the buyer's guide only suggests 250 or 500 GB Samsung - 860 EVO for SSDs, I'm wondering if higher capacity SSDs would work? It might seem unnecessary to ask but I want to make sure.

trs96 you mentioned that SSDs are now affordable, but I see the 2 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD listed for about $350 more than the 2 TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD. If it is possible to use a 1 or 2 TB SSD instead of a HDD for a Hackintosh build, are there any more affordable options than the Samsung - 860 that are also compatible and equal or similar quality?

Any feedback on this would be really helpful, thanks!
Kingston, Sandisk, Toshiba, PNY, Inland Pro, Crucial and many other brands work (no intel). I use all the above with no issues. For data stability long term the MLC nand is best. Samsung and Sandisk have these options.
The NVME drives work great for read/write speeds. HP has a good affordable option. Watch out for Samsung EVO + the early version has incompatible firmware. The non + EVO models are great.