Contribute
Register

Build Recommendations for older versions of OS X/macOS using older Chipsets

Last edited:
Brilliant idea as I always wanted to give some memories back, but back then used real Macs so I don't know in which Hackintosh category hardware should I search.

But now after searching must say damn z77 motherboards are even more expensive than 100 or 200 series.

If you could install 10.11.4 that would be even more impressive.
Guess what. It's quad boot with 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.9.5 and 10.11.6 :)
The 10.5.8 installation was very interesting.

I know that macOS Sierra 10.12.6 added support for Kaby Lake CPUs. I also know that 200 series motherboards are working. However, as far as I know, 200 series motherboards don't have official "support". Even the newest Kaby Lake iMacs are running on 100 series chipset.

When you look in the info.plist of AppleAHCIport.kext (found in /System/Library/Extensions/), we can see that the 200 series is not listed.
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 3.20.42 AM.png

This results in SATA ports being reported as "Generic".
Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.00.09 AM.png

As opposed to truly supported chipsets such as the 100 series chipset.
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 3.33.34 AM.png

Will the 200 series not being officially supported cause any problems? I don't know. As far as I can tell, many people have had success in getting them to "work". But I still feel there should be a distinction made when informing people of what "works" and what's "supported". Again, Kaby Lake is supported, but 200 series chipset is not.

Will the 200 series not being officially supported cause any problems? I don't know. As far as I can tell, many people have had success in getting them to "work". But I still feel there should be a distinction made when informing people of what "works" and what's "supported". Again, Kaby Lake is supported, but 200 series chipset is not.

Indeed, 200 series mobos are not supported. But wait... Am I to understand how confusing the current 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide August 2017' guideline can get as it says "We recommend 200-series motherboards" although the previous 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2017' guideline advised that "We recommend 100-series motherboards"? I'm guessing that it isn't because the 100-series mobos are not available in tonymacx86' main trading partners (Amazon or Newegg) and the 200-series are? Because guess what, the 100 series mobos are truly no longer available and I am myself an example of that.
No good can come of me staying here.

Indeed, 200 series mobos are not supported. But wait... Am I to understand how confusing the current 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide August 2017' guideline can get as it says "We recommend 200-series motherboards" although the previous 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2017' guideline advised that "We recommend 100-series motherboards"? I'm guessing that it isn't because the 100-series mobos are not available in tonymacx86' main trading partners (Amazon or Newegg) and the 200-series are? Because guess what, the 100 series mobos are truly no longer available and I am myself an example of that.
No good can come of me staying here.

I'm still seeing 8 pages worth of 100 series motherboards on Newegg...

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 9.29.40 AM.png

Indeed, 200 series mobos are not supported. But wait... Am I to understand how confusing the current 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide August 2017' guideline can get as it says "We recommend 200-series motherboards" although the previous 'Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide July 2017' guideline advised that "We recommend 100-series motherboards"? I'm guessing that it isn't because the 100-series mobos are not available in tonymacx86' main trading partners (Amazon or Newegg) and the 200-series are?
The 200 series motherboard chipsets are close enough to the 100 series that it doesn't make any significant difference whether you use those or the 100 series boards. If the 200 series boards didn't work they wouldn't be in the guide. If you look hard enough in the EU countries you can still find a new 100 series board.

I'm still seeing 8 pages worth of 100 series motherboards on Newegg...

It is not the case in Europe and especially not in some 100-series motherboards and especially not when it comes to my choice : I chose a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH that was available 3 months ago but it is not anymore in my country (UE member). It becomes not available in Germany, France, Italy either (other EU members). I found it on Amazon Spain and I ordered it, on June the 18. And guess what. 21 July, amazon.es informed me on a delay with no precise shipment date. So I cancelled the order and found it on Amazon UK. Second order placed 3 days later, on 24 July with arriving date between 10 Aug and 23 Aug. We'll see about that. Please, it's hardly been like normal product availability.

I am running Sierra on 2 systems at home, one on Gigabyte EP35-DS Core2Duo E8200 and the other Gigabyte G41M Combo Core2Quad Q9650. Both have 8GB Ram and Nvidia 450 and 440 boards. Work like a charm. Use USB Audio on both and TP-Link WDN-4800 wireless PCIe cards.

Back