Contribute
Register

Build Recommendations for older versions of OS X/macOS using older Chipsets

Thank you for these links! i have been away from the community for a while because my hack was so darn stable; looks like i got some catching up to do.

hey guys, long time no see, i'm trying to upgrade my frankentosh, its a mess. i really just want a stable gpu which i can use to play games on my windows boot. my gtx 740sc 2gb ddr5 is really old and tired, whats the best gameable gpu i can use in my set up. any ideas would be welcome, my head is spinning trying to weigh up whats the max i can add to this modest set up.

hey guys, long time no see, i'm trying to upgrade my frankentosh, its a mess. i really just want a stable gpu which i can use to play games on my windows boot. my gtx 740sc 2gb ddr5 is really old and tired, whats the best gameable gpu i can use in my set up. any ideas would be welcome, my head is spinning trying to weigh up whats the max i can add to this modest set up.
The AMD RX 570 or 580 with 8GB of Vram is the best option. You can find one new for under 200 USD.

The AMD RX 570 or 580 with 8GB of Vram is the best option. You can find one new for under 200 USD.
thanks, i did look at those but i thought no way could handle 8gb ddr5, saw some great prices here in the uk thanks.

i did look at those but i thought no way could handle 8gb ddr5, saw some great prices here in the uk thanks.
What could handle 8GB DDR5 ? If you only need 4GB Vram those are available too.

What could handle 8GB DDR5 ? If you only need 4GB Vram those are available too.
my h87 d3h MB is really old, i think the first restriction i hit is the chipset, anyway i've been trying to grab a 580 for a few days now but they are going for 130 GBP, even the 570 is close to this price. getting desperate, User Bench app says my gpu is down to 18% and my master boot drive is down to 48%.... i'm really struggling to clone my mavericks boot and my windows 8.1 boot onto a new hdd.

i'm really struggling to clone my mavericks boot
Note that the RX 570 and 580 won't work with Mavericks. Better to use High Sierra for full support.

I've been quite happy with my current setup running High Sierra, but am starting to run into software that insists in having Mojave or Catalina. At first glance, I'd like to think that all I need to update is my GPU/Video Card setup but was wondering if there are other hidden gotchas along the way the rest of the community might be able to warn me about. If additional information about my setup is required beyond what I have in my profile, please let me know. Thanks for any guidance/caveats you all can provide someone trying to keep up on a limited budget!

Back