Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
i7
Hello everyone.
have problem to choosing the correct components to create my hack.
Unfortunately I have a software compatible only with mountain lion.
I'm currently working with an Apple Mac mini mid-2012 but would like to use more video outputs (3) and pci cards (to work in HD using protools software).
Reading in forums and guides I found several ideas for the hardware to buy, but many of the components recommended in 2012 \ 2013 are not available.

My idea is to have these features:
- CPU: i7
- RAM: 32 (is possible in Mountain Lion?) Or 16
- 3 video output
- Firewire
- Wifi
- USB3

What components I can buy? (compatible with Mountain Lion and without spending too) :)

I saw these models:

- Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H / Rev 1.1 - MB
- Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 - MB
- Intel Core i7 4790 Professional Quad Core Processor (3.60GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Graphics, Hyper Threading Technology, Socket 1150) - CPU

Are compatible?
What video card do I buy?

Thx

IIRC 10.8.5 gained support for Z87 boards. Not sure about the Z97. For Protools use, do you really need a discrete GPU? Should be able to use CPU graphics.

As for board, GA-Z87-D3HP is still available and should work for you with 10.8.5 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU4L4M2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

thanks for the reply.
No, pro tools don't requires dedicated GPU, but I do not think exist motherboards compatible with 10.8.5 that allow me to use 3 monitors.
I'm wrong?

thanks for the reply.
No, pro tools don't requires dedicated GPU, but I do not think exist motherboards compatible with 10.8.5 that allow me to use 3 monitors.
I'm wrong?
Depends on the board you wind up with, but since most Z87/Z97 boards had a D-Sub VGA as one of the connectors that limits you to 2 without a discrete GPU. Graphics cards compatible with 10.8.5 would be the GTX6xx series or earlier:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-march-2013.92707/#gfx_cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back