Contribute
Register

Build Advise for a Studio Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I was hoping to get some advise from some fellow music producers regarding building a Hackintosh for my studio. I'm looking to start a build over the summer so I thought it prudent to start researching some ideas now I'm currently running an i5 iMac, 1TB fusion drive and 16gb ram but I'm looking to upgrade my system this year as the iMac is starting to struggle with some of my work.

I haven't looked too much into building a Hackintosh yet, but I was hoping to get some idea's about processors and motherboards that might be worth taking a look at. My initial thought was a Xeon processor. I figured that these processors run servers so that would be a great start to build upon. I'll be looking to run at least 32gb RAM and x2 1 TB SSD's to start with, but I want everything to be up-gradable. I would like ideally for the machine to run super cool and of course quiet. Any advise or places to start looking at parts would be great and any pointer on pitfalls to avoid would be great. I would like to make my research as concise as possible and not waste time looking at bits that wont be relevant for what I'm trying to achieve.

Thank you

The standard builds will work for audio production. My suggestion that goes beyond this is to go to your motherboard manufactures website and make sure the RAM you buy is certified to work with the board you buy. I use Gigabyte motherboards with great success, but that is my preference and not a necessity. Also, check out the list of verified audio interfaces in this forum as well. I went with air cooling as in my experience they are quieter than water pumps, but that may have changed in the last few years. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back