Contribute
Register

Build Advice

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I just scored a free Power Mac G5 7,3 with dual processors and seeking advice for a build. Ideally I'd like to build a machine for photo/video editing/entertainment. Clearly this was built before Apple went to Intel processors with the Mac Pro. So the questions off the top of my head are:
1. Can I upgrade the processors with the current motherboard, or should I scrap this motherboard and find another?
2. Follow up to question 1, what motherboards will fit?

If this is all more trouble than it's worth, I'd appreciate hearing that, too. Building a Hackintosh has come a long way in recent years. With Apple's proprietary components using this case, as stellar as it looks, may be improbable.

All in all I just want to keep it as simple as possible. Build something in this case without having to cut anything. Doesn't need to be the fastest machine on the planet. It just needs to work.

I'm looking forward to taking on the project as it's been 10+ years since I've built my own machine. Also looking forward to hearing your stories and advice. Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited: