Contribute
Register

Build advice for music production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,Im planning to build a hackintosh system for music production (logic pro) with $1000 budget,can you guys help me,please?Much appreciated!!

Hi guys,Im planning to build a hackintosh system for music production (logic pro) with $1000 budget,can you guys help me,please?Much appreciated!!
Edit: moved back to music

Doing any live work? Need low latency? Running heavy VSTs like Serum? What you spend money on is more about the use case for the production work and less about the DAW. Don't worry about a video card at all, just run iGPU graphics, that will save you cash there.

If you need low latency, or will be doing heavy VST work like Serum or Ozone 8, spend your money on the processor and cooling. I just did a production build and went with an 8700K / H60. H60 is not much cooling, but I'm also only overclocking to about 4.9 so it keeps it around 60-65C under full load. Its also a fairly quiet cooler which is important since my box is inside my studio.

For RAM, 8GB should be sufficient unless you are using ridiculously large sample banks. Higher clock speeds will get you minimal real world improvements.

I would say:
i7 processor (or greater) with a nice air cooler or a halfway decent liquid cooler.
8GB RAM
NVME or SATA SSD (the better drive you get, the less time to launch your apps or load samples)
MoBo that fits your desired processor
Power supply that fits your rig
Case that fits your rig with a couple additional case fans

You can DEFINITELY do this in under $1000. If you have to skimp, do it on the RAM. You can always upgrade or add more.

I want to do this too, but I need to run a low latency Pro Tools 2018 rig with a UAD Apollo 8 Quad (Thunderbolt) and Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (though I may run Vienna on two slave 2012 Minis (i7-3720QM) via ethernet. I want to use only the best and most quiet components if possible. It's very hard to find a MOBO for a comparable Golden Build.

iGPU graphics, that will save you cash there.
When using the iGPU there will be a higher CPU load with some things. At least it was the case here with NI Maschine

I'm struggling to get Pro Tools to recognise my ilok. The license manager recognises it, Pro Tools wont. License manager cant complete sync either. V annoying. Any advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back