Gigabyte GA-Z270N - WIFI
CPU
i3-7320
Graphics
Intel > Need version # > See Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi there,
My goal is to build a computer which I can learn and master coding on(particularly Swift code on Xcode, as well as stream videos onto my television with. It would also be used for emails, and other general surfing the web, so I would need to be able to hook it up to a computer monitor as well as my tv. My first idea was a custom build mac mini. I was looking at the barebones one but I'm not sure the i3 processor will meet my needs and I fear if I go up to an i5 I will need more power or more cooling, which would also mean a need for a different case/tower. I have never done this before but I am extremely motivated to make this happen. I am doing this on a budget as well so I hope to not spend more than $800CAD. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rich

Totally agree you can go with the i3. I'v built few software dev machines with i3s and a nice 1050ti graphics card with success. They run very well and are fantastic software development machines. You will not be disappointed. You can go a low at the 7100 (even skylake 6100 is great.)

Also if you need to leave off the graphics card the inbuilt intel graphics is decent enough but requires the graphic glitch patch.

Hi there,
My goal is to build a computer which I can learn and master coding on(particularly Swift code on Xcode, as well as stream videos onto my television with. It would also be used for emails, and other general surfing the web, so I would need to be able to hook it up to a computer monitor as well as my tv. My first idea was a custom build mac mini. I was looking at the barebones one but I'm not sure the i3 processor will meet my needs and I fear if I go up to an i5 I will need more power or more cooling, which would also mean a need for a different case/tower. I have never done this before but I am extremely motivated to make this happen. I am doing this on a budget as well so I hope to not spend more than $800CAD. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rich

Is an i3 ok to build apps with?

Where can I find the graphic glitch patch?

Should I upgrade the video card if I'm streaming tv through computer?

Are there any necessary or recommended places to upgrade from the bare bones Mac mini hackintosh?

Absolutely! You won't have any trouble building apps with it. They are very capable and run well.

The Intel fixes are in the forum under graphics glitch. It's a Sierra bug. I've been avoiding it since I personally never got it working 100% without a side effect so I jumped to nvidia cards even for lower end (they are all much faster anyway.)

Is an i3 ok to build apps with?

Where can I find the graphic glitch patch?

Should I upgrade the video card if I'm streaming tv through computer?

Are there any necessary or recommended places to upgrade from the bare bones Mac mini hackintosh?

is it possible and/or difficult to make mods like change to an i5 down the road?

Not at all you can replace the CPU any time you wish.

is it possible and/or difficult to make mods like change to an i5 down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back