i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 (1920x1080) + Nvidia GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I have been having problems with my battery status since I updated to Sierra, the menubar icon *sometimes* shows charging when the cable is actually unplugged, and *sometimes* SysPrefs>Energy Saver becomes buggy and sets the "Turn off display after:" to max with I plug/unplug the cable, and the "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" is buggy too.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues in High Sierra?

Hello,
I have been having problems with my battery status since I updated to Sierra, the menubar icon *sometimes* shows charging when the cable is actually unplugged, and *sometimes* SysPrefs>Energy Saver becomes buggy and sets the "Turn off display after:" to max with I plug/unplug the cable, and the "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" is buggy too.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hello,

yes, i did have similar issues

i reinstalled high Sierra from scratch and chose not to update to APFS

or you can remove the trim patch from your config.plist (if you have it) and that should sort it out (if you want to keep APFS file system)

Attachments

• Problem Reporting.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
yes, i did have similar issues

i reinstalled high Sierra from scratch and chose not to update to APFS

or you can remove the trim patch from your config.plist (if you have it) and that should sort it out (if you want to keep APFS file system)
It's strange how that's relevant... So I can't keep the trim support if I stay on APFS?

Ok so I take it you're not experiencing these issues as well.
Here are the files:

Problems:
- incorrect ACPIBatteryManager.kext installed. Current version is 1.81.3. You have 1.81.2.
- ioreg shows APFS, config.plist has TRIM patch. Bad combination, as it causes slow boot, which causes problems with battery/AC detect at startup (ACPIBatteryManager.kext reports status 'too soon' in this scenario as the rest of the system is too slow in booting)

To fix:
- install latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext
- either disable TRIM (remove/disable TRIM patch) or go back to HFS+J

Problems:
- incorrect ACPIBatteryManager.kext installed. Current version is 1.81.3. You have 1.81.2.
Yeah, I thought the problem was with the latest kext so I thought I’d try an earlier version.

- ioreg shows APFS, config.plist has TRIM patch. Bad combination, as it causes slow boot, which causes problems with battery/AC detect at startup (ACPIBatteryManager.kext reports status 'too soon' in this scenario as the rest of the system is too slow in booting)
To fix:
- install latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext
- either disable TRIM (remove/disable TRIM patch) or go back to HFS+J

I understand now, so will disabling Trim support anyhow affect my SSD? Or do you think APFS is not really worth it?

I understand now, so will disabling Trim support anyhow affect my SSD? Or do you think APFS is not really worth it?

TRIM is a "nice to have", but with modern SSDs, not completely necessary.
Since the slow boot problem is affecting real Macs, I suspect it will be fixed in a future 10.13 update.
So, running without TRIM is probably fine.
I see no advantage with APFS so far (despite Apple marketing hype)...

TRIM is a "nice to have", but with modern SSDs, not completely necessary.
Since the slow boot problem is affecting real Macs, I suspect it will be fixed in a future 10.13 update.
So, running without TRIM is probably fine.
I see no advantage with APFS so far (despite Apple marketing hype)...
I don’t think I have the time to make a clean install again, ill probably wait until Apple fixes that.

Is there any way to make ACPIBatteryManager.kext not send those reports too fast?

Is there any way to make ACPIBatteryManager.kext not send those reports too fast?

You can increase the "FirstPollDelay" property (default is 4000ms).
As with all Info.plist properties in ACPIBatteryManager.kext (and other kexts of mine), you can change it with ACPI.
See SSDT-ACPIBATT.dsl in the ACPIBatteryManager repo.

But why not just disable the TRIM patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back