Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

Guys! We finally have some good news. This issue seems to be fixed for CFL hardware. Now all we need is reports of whether it is working for you or not.

I am attaching a debug build of WhateverGreen to test. Before testing please ensure that:
  1. You are using a framebuffer with Camellia disabled. Use 0x3E9B0000 (Default in @RehabMan's plists)
  2. Use the boot-arg igfxcflbklt=1 (without leading dash)
  3. Inject property enable-cfl-backlight-fix with value 1 (number) on your IGPU device (config.plist>Devices>Properties)
  4. Remove AppleBacklightFixup.kext (it is included in this version of WEG)
  5. Using the latest SSDT-PNLF.aml
Hope it works for you. Please do not forget to thank the awesome people @vit9696 @headkaze and @Fraxul behind this fix. It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Regards and good luck!

This is almost solving the "3 minutes" for me: I had 15 good boots in a raw, then 1 boot with the "3 minutes" problem, then again several good ones.
BUT, the system is logging off continuously then, every couple of minutes and I have to log-in again and again... so not a solution for me.
I found then a Clover on the web which is working fine for me: no 3 minutes problem at all anymore, no log-off, graphic acceleration etc. (almost) everything is working fine.
- SD card is not working
- Brightness only working through settings, not with function keys.
WiFi and Bluetooth working but I installed card DW1560.

My graphic is however UHD620 (Dell Inspiron 7580, intel i7-8565U).
I attach my EFI and the list of kext in L/E, in case some one is interested to try (there are double kext in Clover and in L/E due to historical reasons and several trials, but it is working fine so... never touch a running system!)

And of course I am grateful for any advice how to have the SD Card reader working.

P.S. I also tried the solutions of post 307, they were not working for me

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.8 MB · Views: 339
  • Library_Extensions.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 256
so after many attempts and failures I have a fully functional machine in addition to the sd card reader. I haven't seen any 3-minute black screen yet! I switched to using VirtualSMC, but I don't think it's just that. I just turned on DELLSMBiospatch once in config and since then the problems are gone like magic .. now I have the patch off. I have the function keys to adjust the brightness and even with VirtualSMC, the automatic dimming function works when the charger is disconnected.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.8 MB · Views: 362
so after many attempts and failures I have a fully functional machine in addition to the sd card reader. I haven't seen any 3-minute black screen yet! I switched to using VirtualSMC, but I don't think it's just that. I just turned on DELLSMBiospatch once in config and since then the problems are gone like magic .. now I have the patch off. I have the function keys to adjust the brightness and even with VirtualSMC, the automatic dimming function works when the charger is disconnected.
Did you switched FakeSMC.kext for VirtualSMC.kext in L/E? Also removing FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext ect for SMCBatteryManager.kext?

Yes, I'm using VirtualSMC. all kext are only clover etc .. fakesmc and I have also deleted all of them from the L / E folder. During that time I have never had a black screen problem! Even though I don't know if it's really using VirtualSMC.

Did anyone actually fix this issue ?

I dont understand why would changing something like removing kexts or enabling/disbaling something like acpi renames would bypass black screen. Maybe doing those big changes resets something that is causing these black screens..

Here.
I have this exact same problem currently with OpenCore 0.6.4 and 0.6.5. Any change to config.plist or removing and adding kexts seems to fix the issue, but any sub sequent boot keeps the backlight black for about 3 minutes. Interestingly, I had the same on another hack, but it was not black, just low so I noticed. On that one it seemed to happen after an OpenCore update from 0.6.4 to 0.6.5 and fixed after revert, but on my current hack that does not solve it. Did anyone find a solution?

well I'll be, it seems I fixed it by playing with kexts. I am running a Comet Lake hack laptop, the problem seems to be gone for me using the attached WhateverGreen.kext. It seems something was changed there that made this problem occur.
I also changed Lilu.kext and some boot params but I think this fixed it.
Give it a try.

Only issue I still have i occassional tear in my Elan touchpad 1203 and the right button not working as mentioned here:
it would be great to get some tips on that. Perhaps off-topic but I read the whole thread and saw some people writing about it. hope this helps!
I would love to hear from the experts here what would be the eventual cause.
I didn't compile my own DSDT, but the files can be found in the repo I made:

That includes the kext I use.

Attachments

• WhateverGreen.kext.zip
    203.7 KB · Views: 89
well I'll be, it seems I fixed it by playing with kexts. I am running a Comet Lake hack laptop, the problem seems to be gone for me using the attached WhateverGreen.kext. It seems something was changed there that made this problem occur.
I also changed Lilu.kext and some boot params but I think this fixed it.
Give it a try.

Only issue I still have i occassional tear in my Elan touchpad 1203 and the right button not working as mentioned here:
it would be great to get some tips on that. Perhaps off-topic but I read the whole thread and saw some people writing about it. hope this helps!
I would love to hear from the experts here what would be the eventual cause.
I didn't compile my own DSDT, but the files can be found in the repo I made:

That includes the kext I use.
you can just use latest WhateverGreen.kext with -igfxblr boot-arg.

hi, I just tested with 1.4.6 and that boot option and that works indeed. thanks!

This is almost solving the "3 minutes" for me: I had 15 good boots in a raw, then 1 boot with the "3 minutes" problem, then again several good ones.
BUT, the system is logging off continuously then, every couple of minutes and I have to log-in again and again... so not a solution for me.
I found then a Clover on the web which is working fine for me: no 3 minutes problem at all anymore, no log-off, graphic acceleration etc. (almost) everything is working fine.
- SD card is not working
- Brightness only working through settings, not with function keys.
WiFi and Bluetooth working but I installed card DW1560.

My graphic is however UHD620 (Dell Inspiron 7580, intel i7-8565U).
I attach my EFI and the list of kext in L/E, in case some one is interested to try (there are double kext in Clover and in L/E due to historical reasons and several trials, but it is working fine so... never touch a running system!)

And of course I am grateful for any advice how to have the SD Card reader working.

P.S. I also tried the solutions of post 307, they were not working for me

I copied some Methods of a real MacBookPro's SD card reader and attached them to _SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.HS07 (Dell 7586's SD card). Then my SD card reader starts to work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.06.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.06.42 AM.png
    227.8 KB · Views: 92
  • SSDT-Dell7586-addon.dsl
    1.5 KB · Views: 79
Back