Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

What is AppleBacklightAtBoot for working scenarios?
Is the out-of-range AppleBacklightAtBoot only in the black screen case?

They're both 0x2736a

_UID values are documented in the comments in SSDT-PNLF.dsl.
Okay maybe that's where I've gone wrong with your PNLF. I didn't realize I had to set this value manually before compiling it. Going to try it now and see if it fixes my issues with it.
EDIT: Nope. For some reason it still boots to a black screen.
EDIT2: Well subsequent boots seem okay now. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
@RehabMan do you think the issue might be related to the Ambient Light Sensor? Would SSDT-ALS0.aml disable it?

@RehabMan do you think the issue might be related to the Ambient Light Sensor? Would SSDT-ALS0.aml disable it?

SSDT-ALS0.aml will provide an ACPI ALS that is fixed/never changing.
Can't hurt to add it (assuming you don't have a native ALS that might need disabling [or fixing]).

They're both 0x2736a

I wonder if WhateverGreen should be hooking such that this out-of-range value is not captured (by fixing the out-of-range value).

I wonder if WhateverGreen should be hooking such that this out-of-range value is not captured (by fixing the out-of-range value).
So this is further more a Whatevergreen issue still and not so much an SSDT-PNLF issue?

So this is further more a Whatevergreen issue still and not so much an SSDT-PNLF issue?

My understanding is that WhateverGreen is attempting to fix everything regarding PWM initialization.

SSDT-PNLFCFL.aml does no manipulation of the backlight PWM registers, so the problem cannot be there.

My understanding is that WhateverGreen is attempting to fix everything regarding PWM initialization.

SSDT-PNLFCFL.aml does no manipulation of the backlight PWM registers, so the problem cannot be there.

Will continue testing on my end, but it looks like with both the Lilu and WhateverGreen updates from earlier today the issue is solved on my end. Using your SSDT-PNLFCFL
So far 14/14 reboots with no black screen upon boot up. Will update with any changes.

Edit I spoke too soon. A few minutes after leaving this comment I rebooted and got the black screen.

Last edited:
Will continue testing on my end, but it looks like with both the Lilu and WhateverGreen updates from earlier today the issue is solved on my end. Using your SSDT-PNLFCFL
So far 14/14 reboots with no black screen upon boot up. Will update with any changes.

Edit I spoke too soon. A few minutes after leaving this comment I rebooted and got the black screen.
For me, the black screen issue is gone for good after using Fraxul's SSDT-PNLF and latest WEG, but the system just reboots sometimes while playing youtube videos or using xCode, there's literally no verbose log, just reboots....like that.
Im sure this is because of WEG, because without it, it never happens.

So I was wondering can I know the reason for these kernel panics/reboots like from a kmsg type of log?
@RehabMan

For me, the black screen issue is gone for good after using Fraxul's SSDT-PNLF and latest WEG, but the system just reboots sometimes while playing youtube videos or using xCode, there's literally no verbose log, just reboots....like that.
Im sure this is because of WEG, because without it, it never happens.

So I was wondering can I know the reason for these kernel panics/reboots like from a kmsg type of log?
@RehabMan
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Back