Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

Info:

For anyone using the latest WEG and still facing the black screen issue intermittently, make sure you use the attached the SSDT-PNLF.

The SSDT-PNLF in the hotpatch repo initializes the PWM_FREQ1 to 0xffff which is the root cause of this issue.

Thanks @Fraxul for pointing that out, I would never ever have guessed that.

@RehabMan, I would love to hear you views on this.

Credits: RehabMan for "graphics_PNLF-ACPI100.txt" DSDT patch. The attached SSDT is based on that code.

To conclude, backlight now works 100% of the times. Though I have only tested 15 times, will update in case this issue haunts me ever again.

Regards

Attachments

• SSDT-PNLF.aml.zip
    829 bytes · Views: 129
So what's wrong with mine? I don't even have trampoline errors!?
I had a look and seriously have no idea of what is going wrong in your case. Still, attach a debug output when using the attached WEG, will have a few more logs this time.

Regards

Attachments

• 1.2.5 (DEBUG).zip
    267.8 KB · Views: 99
I had a look and seriously have no idea of what is going wrong in your case. Still, attach a debug output when using the attached WEG, will have a few more logs this time.

The most reliable way to log is to use debug versions of Lilu + WEG along with -liludbgall liludump=60 boot flags. The output of the logs will be in /var/log/Lilu_* which are now included as part of your gen_debug.sh script.

In other words, normally you don't need SortedOrder at all
Okay thanks for the clarification. I've removed the SortedOrder entry and it works. I guess the GFX0->IGPU rename is all I needed.

Info:

For anyone using the latest WEG and still facing the black screen issue intermittently, make sure you use the attached the SSDT-PNLF.

The SSDT-PNLF in the hotpatch repo initializes the PWM_FREQ1 to 0xffff which is the root cause of this issue.

Credits: RehabMan for "graphics_PNLF-ACPI100.txt" DSDT patch. The attached SSDT is based on that code.

To conclude, backlight now works 100% of the times. Though I have only tested 15 times, will update in case this issue haunts me ever again.

Regards

Thanks you very much the new PNLF have completely resolve my issue, now 100% no more black screen :mrgreen:
There is only a slight problem: every time I boot my computer the brightness is always at max.
My virtual nvram is working and the backlight level is saved in nvram, but it is not restored it seems.

Attachments

• debug_6234.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Thanks you very much the new PNLF have completely resolve my issue, now 100% no more black screen :mrgreen:
There is only a slight problem: every time I boot my computer the brightness is always at max.
My virtual nvram is working and the backlight level is saved in nvram, but it is not restored it seems.

Maybe the intermittent black screen issue is related to the brightness level being restored from NVRAM? When using RehabMan's PNLF and setting the brightness below 100% and rebooting results in a black screen for me but leaving it at 100% and it appears to work okay. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

every time I boot my computer the brightness is always at max.
Not the case with me. Also, can’t look at your files RN as I’m away from my computer.

Maybe the intermittent black screen issue is related to the brightness level being restored from NVRAM? When using RehabMan's PNLF and setting the brightness below 100% and rebooting results in a black screen for me but leaving it at 100% and it appears to work okay. Can anyone confirm this behavior?
Guess it is not the case coz my brightness levels are correctly being restored upon rebooting. Still, will test this and update.

Hi @headkaze, I've recently seen a pretty amazing deal on the Aero 15x, 1070 FHD (8th gen i7), and I'm seriously considering jumping in. Where is your system now, in terms of functionality, working/not working? Also, have you made—or would you consider making—a guide? (And would you share your Clover folder and kexts?) I've done a few desktop hacks, and one MSI laptop (which was pretty tough), so I'm not super green or super experienced. A guide would be a massive help (and this is an awesome machine for pro users!).

Hi @headkazeI've recently seen a pretty amazing deal on the Aero 15x, 1070 FHD (8th gen i7), and I'm seriously considering jumping in. Where is your system now, in terms of functionality, working/not working? Also, have you made—or would you consider making—a guide? (And would you share your Clover folder and kexts?)
I have pretty much everything working fine. You will have to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card (I used a Broadcom BCM94352Z). I dual boot with Windows. I do not have the eGPU enabled in macOS. Of course I'm more than happy to provide my Clover folder.

Info:

Regards
Even with the new SSDT-PNLF I'm still booting to a black screen 95% of the time. Ugh.

I know I already uploaded this to the GitHub, but for those like Rehabman that have only been commenting here I'm uploading the PR files again.

With everyone else getting this sorted, hopefully we can get it sorted with the Razerblade 15 also. We have to be close.

Attachments

• Whatevergreen DBG 12-19-18.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 78
  • debug_12427.zip
    2 MB · Views: 82
Back