Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

I will try that but I think is not related to my kext installation because the problem is showing at the very early boot stage. After I click on Mojave to boot my system I can see the apple logo but after 1 second it goes away. Every time it goes away it doesen’t return for at least 5/6 minutes then I can see the login page. This happens 1/2 of the time and I think is related to the PNLF.aml

Please reply with PR files after you fix your kext installation.

Please reply with PR files after you fix your kext installation.

I should have done everything correctly but the problem still persist: it boots 90% of the time to black screen.
Below there are two debug zip one where the pc boots to black screen and the other to max brightness.

Attachments

• boot to max brightness.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • boot to black screen.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
Guys! We finally have some good news. This issue seems to be fixed for CFL hardware. Now all we need is reports of whether it is working for you or not.

I am attaching a debug build of WhateverGreen to test. Before testing please ensure that:
  1. You are using a framebuffer with Camellia disabled. Use 0x3E9B0000 (Default in @RehabMan's plists)
  2. Use the boot-arg igfxcflbklt=1 (without leading dash)
  3. Inject property enable-cfl-backlight-fix with value 1 (number) on your IGPU device (config.plist>Devices>Properties)
  4. Remove AppleBacklightFixup.kext (it is included in this version of WEG)
  5. Using the latest SSDT-PNLF.aml
Hope it works for you. Please do not forget to thank the awesome people @vit9696 @headkaze and @Fraxul behind this fix. It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Regards and good luck!

Well, this build has fixed waking up from sleep for me. Now the screen doesn't just stay black, it indeed wakes up normally.
Also, brightness works okay.

But the 3 mins black screen issue is still persistent for me. I don't know why.

PR files attached.

Attachments

• debug_15743.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Inject property enable-cfl-backlight-fix with value 1 (number) on your IGPU device (config.plist>Devices>Properties)

Note that you don't need to do this if you have the igfxcflbklt=1 boot flag. One or the other is fine.

All is working fine for me with RehabMan's latest SSDT-PNLF.aml + WEG. I didn't have the brightness slider in Display settings at first but then I added a GFX0->IGPU rename.

The brightness range is much better than it was previously also. Thanks @Fraxul @RehabMan

Last edited:
Note that you don't need to do this if you have the igfxcflbklt=1 boot flag. One or the other is fine.
Yeah I forgot to update that. It was added recently. We don’t even need any property injection as it automatically patches CFL laptops.

Regards

Hi guys,

I am also trying to get the 3 minutes black screen fixed but no luck. Hope someone could point me to the right direction.

Attachments

• debug_15293.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
So it works for some hardware configs and not for others, that's a heart break. :(
@RehabMan could you take a look and tell me if I'm missing something out?

Attachments

• debug_28895.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 65

All is working fine for me with RehabMan's latest SSDT-PNLF.aml + WEG. I didn't have the brightness slider in Display settings at first but then I added a GFX0->IGPU rename and SortedOrder entry:
Code:
        <key>SortedOrder</key>
        <array>
            <string>DSDT.aml</string>
            <string>SSDT-PNLF.aml</string>
        </array>
The brightness range is much better than it was previously also. Thanks @Fraxul @RehabMan

Please note SortedOrder is for SSDTs only (not DSDT.aml!)
And SortedOrder is not needed for most add-on SSDTs scenarios, and usually not needed even with patched SSDTs if you're using AutoMerge=true.
In other words, normally you don't need SortedOrder at all.
Refer to the guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

I should have done everything correctly but the problem still persist: it boots 90% of the time to black screen.
Below there are two debug zip one where the pc boots to black screen and the other to max brightness.

Was the 'boot to black screen' ioreg captured in the state with black screen?

Your kexts are not installed to the proper location. All add-on kexts should be in /L/E, not /S/L/E.

And... Why do you have duplicate/redundant LiluFriend in both /L/E and /S/L/E? (add-on kexts should be in /L/E only)

Well, this build has fixed waking up from sleep for me. Now the screen doesn't just stay black, it indeed wakes up normally.
Also, brightness works okay.

But the 3 mins black screen issue is still persistent for me. I don't know why.

PR files attached.

You have mismatched SystemMemory addresses in ACPI/patched.
Look:
Code:
u430:origin Admin$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep -y SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x798F4000, 0x0866)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x79924000, 0x0866)

Back