Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

So
Here I described the problem I had with the latest build of whatevergreen and Lilu.

I followed this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ontrol-using-applebacklightfixup-kext.218222/
With that I can finally have full brightness and the slider in settings is working just fine. Then I realised that every 1/4 of boot I got black screen and then after 3 minutes as always is gone. So I removed the SSDT-PNLF.aml but not the kext. At the next reboot I found out that I have the same brightness than before the reboot. I can't modify it because there is no slider, I thinks that is because I removed the .aml patch. For the people that haven't resolve the 3 minutes black screen yet this can be helpful.
For my case I hope in your help

Ps: I would like to have the slider and also the max brightness higher just like in the installer as described in my other post

It's already known that if you remove native brightness controls (either by omitting the SSDT-PNFL or the applebacklightfixup.kext) this issue goes away. But for most, removing native brightness controls usually breaks things like Sleep. Also makes it annoying that you can not control the brightness. It's not really a solution.

The latest version of WEG from the acidanthera Github also seemed to decrease the max brightness for me as well. I also had an issue where I would turn up the brightness and when the brightness got almost to full max, it would drop down to super dim, but if I kept increasing the brightness, it would go back up to almost full brightness, but never get there. I don't have this issue with Fraxul's version of WEG and the black screen at boot is far less frequent with his version also.

After using the laptop pretty much all night I ran into the system crash again. Still unstable for me. I have no new PR files to post, everything is the same as the last file I posted earlier today.

Guys! We finally have some good news. This issue seems to be fixed for CFL hardware. Now all we need is reports of whether it is working for you or not.

I am attaching a debug build of WhateverGreen to test. Before testing please ensure that:
  1. You are using a framebuffer with Camellia disabled. Use 0x3E9B0000 (Default in @RehabMan's plists)
  2. Use the boot-arg igfxcflbklt=1 (without leading dash)
  3. Inject property enable-cfl-backlight-fix with value 1 (number) on your IGPU device (config.plist>Devices>Properties)
  4. Remove AppleBacklightFixup.kext (it is included in this version of WEG)
  5. Using the latest SSDT-PNLF.aml
Hope it works for you. Please do not forget to thank the awesome people @vit9696 @headkaze and @Fraxul behind this fix. It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Regards and good luck!

Attachments

• 1.2.5 (DEBUG).zip
    265.9 KB · Views: 143
Guys! We finally have some good news. This issue seems to be fixed for CFL hardware. Now all we need is reports of whether it is working for you or not.

I am attaching a debug build of WhateverGreen to test. Before testing please ensure that:
  1. You are using a framebuffer with Camellia disabled. Use 0x3E9B0000 (Default in @RehabMan's plists)
  2. Use the boot-arg igfxcflbklt=1 (without leading dash)
  3. Inject property enable-cfl-backlight-fix with value 1 (number) on your IGPU device (config.plist>Devices>Properties)
  4. Remove AppleBacklightFixup.kext (it is included in this version of WEG)
  5. Using the latest SSDT-PNLF.aml
Hope it works for you. Please do not forget to thank the awesome people @vit9696 @headkaze and @Fraxul behind this fix. It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Regards and good luck!

Just did everything you posted, testing now. So far 2/2 reboots with working backlight and backlight controls. Will report back after more testing. So far so good.

Thanks to everyone that has put their time and effort into this!

Complete not working here. After I click on Mojave to boot from clover I got a black screen. After 5 minutes I can see again, brightness slider not working and screen goes black now that I am writing so I can't check my grammar
Maybe I have done something wrong

Attachments

• debug_5523.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Complete not working here. After I click on Mojave to boot from clover I got a black screen. After 5 minutes I can see again, brightness slider not working and screen goes black now that I am writing so I can't check my grammar
Maybe I have done something wrong
You're using the old SSDT-PNLF not the most recent one.

Also the enable-cfl-backlight-fix should be in Devices-Properties, not in the PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0).

In the graphics section of your config.plist you have a # in front of ig-platform-id which is disabling your platform id injection. Also not sure if it's the same for your laptop but I believe that the UHD630 needs to have EDID injected with the product code.

Also the enable-cfl-backlight-fix should be in Devices-Properties, not in the PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0).
This is the right place to inject, on IGPU device(config > Devices > Properties > PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0). Didn’t look at his files yet but guess he didn’t implement it correctly. And yes, old SSDT-PNLF will not work.

Also not sure if it's the same for your laptop but I believe that the UHD630 needs to have EDID injected with the product code.
Not necessarily.

This is the right place to inject, on IGPU device(config > Devices > Properties > PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0).

Hmmm, I have mine outside of that dictionary and it's working. I went off of your last set of instructions, it looked like it needed to be it's own property under Devices-Properties.

Looks like it works either way. But I'll update mine to include it under PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)

Sorry guys but where I can find the latest PNLF?

Back