Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

So diving back into this, I have come across an issue that is related to the 3 minute black screen. I have been having an issue with my hackintosh and it randomly freezing up and having to be rebooted every so often while using the laptop. It was never app specific, or task specific. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and couldn't figure it out. Then came across a few people that didn't have this issue on the same laptop with the same installation, the only difference is they never implemented Native Brightness and don't have the 3 minute black screen bug. So I decided to roll back my native brightness set up and just deal without having brightness controls and the random freezing issue is gone.
So it seems to be possible that the same Framebuffer bug that we have going on that causes the 3 minute black screen on start up is also causing random system crashes after so many hours of running on the laptop with no reboots. Which I guess would mean that this bug is a bit bigger than we thought?

Has anyone else had this kind of issue also?
Yes. I have the same exact issue.

Has anyone tried the new update? (10.14.2)
Maybe they changed something...

Looking at the changes on Github I think the issue is fixed. Will test and report. Thanks @headkaze @Fraxul @vit9696

EDIT: Nah! The issue has worsened. After enabling the patches, if backlight fails to turn on you won’t get back the display even if you put your laptop to sleep and wake it up again. Also, the display doesn’t come back up at all. Not even after 3 minutes.

EDIT2: Even if it works in the first stage, backlight never turns back on after sleep. Not in any case.

Regards

Last edited:
Even if it works in the first stage, backlight never turns back on after sleep. Not in any case
Yeah I just noticed that. Vit is going to try something tomorrow so please try again then and let us know how you go.

Looking at the changes on Github I think the issue is fixed. Will test and report. Thanks @headkaze @Fraxul @vit9696

EDIT: Nah! The issue has worsened. After enabling the patches, if backlight fails to turn on you won’t get back the display even if you put your laptop to sleep and wake it up again. Also, the display doesn’t come back up at all. Not even after 3 minutes.

EDIT2: Even if it works in the first stage, backlight never turns back on after sleep. Not in any case.

Regards
Are you talking about the official github (Vit's) or headkaze's fork?

EDIT: I suppose you used the vit's latest build. Did you use the igfxcflbklt=1 and enable-cfl-backlight-fix boot flags as indicated in the readme?

Vit is going to try something tomorrow so please try again then and let us know how you go.
No backlight after sleep cycle, introduced while fixing this issue, is fixed. If we get the black screen issue during initial boot we can put laptop to sleep and wake it up again to regain the backlight. (Like we could do before)

But, initial timeout during boot is still there (1/4th of the times).

P.S: Please let us know if you observe something different so that we all could stay updated about the same.

EDIT: As pointed out by Vit, we have to ensure that we have a framebuffer without Camellia as it is incompatible. Also, make sure you don't have IntelMaxBacklight set as 120000 in your CLOVER config.plist as it basically overrides the WEG's implementation of the same. Now what is Camellia? I have no idea about it. Just know that Camellia means Core for Ambient and Mobile intELLigent Imaging Applications.

Regards

Last edited:
Regarding Camellia, I am quoting Vit here:
It is a feature responsible for internal display power management, probably some profile.
You can parse the framebuffers from dumped Intel Framebuffer kext with 010 Editor script (https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/IntelFramebuffer.bt).

Another way would be to check our page on applelife (first post, just scroll to CFL graphics):
https://applelife.ru/threads/intel-...4400-4600-5000-5500-5600-520-530-630.1289648/
Look for CameliaDisabled.

P.S: You might want to use google translate for understanding contents of AppleLife's website.

EDIT: Same information is present on tonymacX86 in English at: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Back