Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

Only thing I can think of is when we wrap AppleIntelFramebufferController::hwSetBacklight I'm not calling into the original to prevent backlight flicker. That means it also misses a call (CamelliaBase::SetDPCDBacklight(fCameliaTCON1, backlightLevel)).

You're using frame 0x3e9b0000 which has Camellia disabled so I would expect it not to effect you but we don't know enough about it to say for sure.

Attached is a special version of WEG for you to try that will call the original hwSetBacklight and thus CamelliaBase::SetDPCDBacklight is also called. Hopefully it will solve your wake issue.
This is the weirdest case of all, also makes me think we're near a proper working solution(looking at you camellia):
Loads up okay upto login screen, once with the 3 min delay and once without but both of the times, as soon as I pressed enter after entering my password at login screen, instead of the desktop, there's just a black screen(the same as when the hack is woken up from sleep), tried increasing the brightness using hotkeys but nada.
So the camellia thing you talked about does have an impact.
Here's what happens LINK
At this black screen, i waited for 5 minutes for it to sleep and then woke it up, still a black screen, so sleep isn't fixed.

Now changed from wrap to freq (to confirm it was wrap giving the black screen after login screen) and the desktop loads normally.
Also, this time, with freq, no 3 minute delay, brightness and sleep/wake work too(which has already been reported here).

PR files attached

Attachments

• debug_30055.zip
    3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
looking at you camellia

Attached is something to try. I've bypassed calls to CamelliaBase::SetBacklightControlMode and CamelliaBase::SetDPCDBacklight.

I've also set bit 13 to the SOUTH_DSPCLK_GATE_D register.

Right now it's just experimentation to see what happens.

Attachments

• WhateverGreen_parasthakur37.zip
    204.4 KB · Views: 74
Attached is something to try. I've bypassed calls to CamelliaBase::SetBacklightControlMode and CamelliaBase::SetDPCDBacklight.

I've also set bit 13 to the SOUTH_DSPCLK_GATE_D register.

Right now it's just experimentation to see what happens.
The login screen issue is gone, I can get to desktop now but still the waking up is broken.
If its any help, after waking up, on the black screen when I press keyboard keys I can hear macOs sounds, indicating that the login screen is present, it's just that the backlight isn't loading.

EDIT: tried many CFL ig-platform-id's from here but still no luck.

Last edited:
Just did a commit. Can you please try it.
Just downloaded the latest WEG from GitHub and built it, still can't boot using the igfxcflbklt=wrap boot flag, it kernel panics. But still boots fine using igfxcflbklt=opcode. Testing the new version 7/9 reboots were with working backlight, 2/9 were with no backlight. I had 5 successful reboots in a row with working backlight and then 2 black screen reboots in a row and then 2 more working backlight reboots in a row after that. So it seems that the issue is getting better. Waking from sleep seems to be working fine also.

Attached updated PR files.

Attachments

• debug_29111.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Just did a commit. Can you please try it.

Update to add this, I've recently noticed a sort of pattern with reboots. What seems to be happening now is I'll have 3 reboots in a row with working backlight, and then 2-3 reboots of no backlight and then another 3 reboots of working backlight. It seems to consistently repeat this pattern now. I have no changed anything since my most recently debug file that I uploaded in the post above. All remains the same.

Update to add this, I've recently noticed a sort of pattern with reboots. What seems to be happening now is I'll have 3 reboots in a row with working backlight, and then 2-3 reboots of no backlight and then another 3 reboots of working backlight. It seems to consistently repeat this pattern now. I have no changed anything since my most recently debug file that I uploaded in the post above. All remains the same.

I have noticed something different... I don’t have any king of patch to mitigate the problem we have, but every time (90 %) I clear nvram (remove nvram file form clover, -c nvram, delete entries from efi shell) at the next restart I don’t have the 3 mintes wait. I don’t know if this is random or not.
I am a Newbie so take this with caution XD

I have LENOVO Y530 (i7 8750H + UHD630) . I try patch Video,Audio with Intel FB patcher.
then , I found when set Layout id wrong , backlight is ok, no BUG.
but set Layout id correct , black screen is show...

301 posts and climbing about this damn UHD 630. What a nightmare. With the new Mac Mini officially sporting this exact graphical infrastructure, hopefully the ongoing torture will end soon.

301 posts and climbing about this damn UHD 630. What a nightmare. With the new Mac Mini officially sporting this exact graphical infrastructure, hopefully the ongoing torture will end soon.
So true unfortunately. Let's hope for better future compatibility.

Back