Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

Fixed the Brightness Slider but borked the wakeup again.
Seems like my hack doesn't like sleep and brightness. :(

That test was to confirm SSDT-PNLF wasn't causing your wake problem.

Try one more config...
Try without the GFX0->IGPU rename (this test to determine whether IGPU PM causes issues for you on wake).
Note that you will need to build a special WhateverGreen.kext that has the GFX0->IGPU rename code removed/disabled.

If still you have the issue on wake, it indicates a wake problem related to backlight PWM re-init on wake. Which might indicate something more needs wrapping/patched via WhateverGreen. Or your ACPI code may be doing something with the backlight somewhere within the _WAK execution path.

You're using 'wrap' right?

That test was to confirm SSDT-PNLF wasn't causing your wake problem.

Try one more config...
Try without the GFX0->IGPU rename (this test to determine whether IGPU PM causes issues for you on wake).
Note that you will need to build a special WhateverGreen.kext that has the GFX0->IGPU rename code removed/disabled.

If still you have the issue on wake, it indicates a wake problem related to backlight PWM re-init on wake. Which might indicate something more needs wrapping/patched via WhateverGreen. Or your ACPI code may be doing something with the backlight somewhere within the _WAK execution path.

You're using 'wrap' right?
I just commented out the if statement which I think might be renaming IGPU->GFX0, can you please confirm if this is okay?
And yes, using 'wrap' as the boot arg.
Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 1.25.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Looks like it to me.
Did that, now GFX0 loads in ioreg instead of IGPU. But due to this, the system doesn't go to sleep. The display turns off but doesn't actually reach the sleeping state.
I think I see the issue.

-With WhateverGreen.kext + SSDT-PNLF, the backlight works when the system boots for the first time but after sleep-wake up, it doesn't work(I get a black screen with no backlight).
-With only WhateverGreen.kext, after sleep-wake up, the backlight works, tho I can't change the brightness(its fixed to ~50-60%).
-With WhateverGreen.kext but without GFX0->IGPU, nothing works but it is kind of expected as AGPM won't load so sleep is borked.

The most stable scenario out of all these in terms of the original issue(3 minute black screen) is when no SSDT-PNLF is used with WhateverGreen.kext+wrap. This way the black screen issue is eliminated and sleep/wakeup works okay but at the cost of brightness(expected).

Attachments

• debug_3977.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Did that, now GFX0 loads in ioreg instead of IGPU. But due to this, the system doesn't go to sleep. The display turns off but doesn't actually reach the sleeping state.
I think I see the issue.

GFX0 vs. IGPU will not affect the ability to enter sleep.

You probably just had some sleep assertions that needed to clear (best to check for them to be clear prior to attempting Apple->Sleep).

GFX0 vs. IGPU will not affect the ability to enter sleep.

You probably just had some sleep assertions that needed to clear (best to check for them to be clear prior to attempting Apple->Sleep).
Tried again, this time too it didn't go to sleep. Stuck on a black screen with keyboard light on(same as before, no backlight).

Tried again, this time too it didn't go to sleep. Stuck on a black screen with keyboard light on(same as before, no backlight).

Did you check your assertions?
Code:
pmset -g assertions

Also, check that you implemented fixes for instant wake.

Also, best to test just display sleep/wake (without full computer sleep) first.

Just wanted to chime in with my testing.

Using Whatevergreen 1.2.4b1 with RehabMans debug version of PNLF. I wasn't able to boot with igfxcflbklt=freq but I was with igfxcflbklt=none and igfxcflbklt=wrap.

igfxcflbklt=none was always a black screen at boot.
igfxcflbklt=wrap works most of the time. Right now 5 out of 8 boots have booted with brightness and everything else working as it should. The other 3 boots have been to the black screen.

Problem reporting files attached, incase it might help with figuring out the issue.

Razer Blade 15 2018. High Sierra Build 17G2307

What everyone is doing here is way beyond my abilities and I very much appreciate you all working on this issue!

Attachments

• debug_1365.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Same thing with me. It would boot most of the times.

Back