Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

I'm not sure. I need help testing it some more.

I just tried your fork of WhateverGreen and it works well on my laptop. (without patching the ightUpEDP function)

I didn't use the "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)" patch. SSDT-PNLF.aml and the brightness slider works well now.

Yes it does flicker a bit. Actually I think I can improve that with hwSetBacklight at least by not calling the original function.

Yes, removing the original call and returning 0LL instead appears to fix the flicker.

Yes, removing the original call and returning 0LL instead appears to fix the flicker.

Yes, I agreed. We don't even need the original implementation of hwSetBacklight, as we don't use Camellia and you have just provided your own implementation.

Yes, I agreed. We don't even need the original implementation of hwSetBacklight, as we don't use Camellia and you have just provided your own implementation.
Yeah, the eDP panels in these laptops doesn't appear to use the DPCD brightness data that the Camellia call path can set.

Here's a stupid question: What is Camellia? I never did figure that out while constructing this patch.

Yeah, the eDP panels in these laptops doesn't appear to use the DPCD brightness data that the Camellia call path can set.

Here's a stupid question: What is Camellia? I never did figure that out while constructing this patch.

I am not sure either. It seems that Camellia is another code base (??) and some framebuffers have this feature enabled.

Update:

For example, Apple uses 3E9B0006 on their RMBP 15 with Camellia enabled.

Other framebuffers like 3E9B0000 and 3E9B0007 have Camellia disabled.

I would be worried that disabling the DPCD brightness writes would kill brightness control on external DisplayPort-connected monitors that support it, like the Apple Cinema display. I have one, I guess I should plug it in and set a breakpoint in CamelliaBase::SetDPCDBacklight.

Just did an update removing the original call to hwSetBacklight. Should not flicker now.

Wow, alpha fix is here.
Just did an update removing the original call to hwSetBacklight. Should not flicker now.
How do I test it?

I just tried your fork of WhateverGreen and it works well on my laptop. (without patching the ightUpEDP function)

I didn't use the "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)" patch. SSDT-PNLF.aml and the brightness slider works well now.

The issue remains with me if I use SSDT-PNLF. How did you manage with SSDT-PNLF?

The only way I got the slider was to remove the SSDT PNLF and then use the Add PNLF option in the clover. That way the slider worked but the max brightness of the laptop was very dim.

Last edited:
The issue remains with me if I use SSDT-PNLF. How did you manage with SSDT-PNLF?

The only way I got the slider was to remove the SSDT PNLF and then use the Add PNLF option in the clover. That way the slider worked but the max brightness of the laptop was very dim.

At the Clover boot screen can you press F4 to save original (OEM) ACPI tables into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin then zip the files up and attach them here.

Back