Contribute
Register

[BUG] Black screen 3 minutes after booting, CoffeeLake UHD 630

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
Sorry, I was waiting for an actual panic to happen to capture the logs.
So I put the hack to sleep and it rebooted just like that.
Logs are attached.
Also, this doesn't happen without WEG.

Attachments

• debug_16132.zip
    3 MB · Views: 157
Glad the issue is finally solved. It is fully working for me. No black screen issue. Backlight control working. Also, backlight level is being restored properly across reboots.

Don't have enough words to thank the awesome people who worked on it and fixed it.
Could you upload your CLOVER folder?

Sorry, I was waiting for an actual panic to happen to capture the logs.
So I put the hack to sleep and it rebooted just like that.
Logs are attached.
Also, this doesn't happen without WEG.

You have mismatched SystemMemory addresses... super obvious if you diff ACPI/patched from ACPI/origin:
Code:
u430:origin Admin$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep -y SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x798F4000, 0x0866)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x79924000, 0x0866)

You have mismatched SystemMemory addresses... super obvious if you diff ACPI/patched from ACPI/origin:
Code:
u430:origin Admin$ diff ../origin/ ../patched/ |grep -y SystemMemory
<     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x798F4000, 0x0866)
>     OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x79924000, 0x0866)
Yeah, deleted the DSDT.aml as I don't really need it, it's only patched for brightness keys and they are bugged, so don't need it.
PR files attached after a restart.

Attachments

• debug_30552.zip
    3 MB · Views: 142
Yeah, deleted the DSDT.aml as I don't really need it, it's only patched for brightness keys and they are bugged, so don't need it.
PR files attached after a restart.

With any change, you must retest...
Note that now you have no accommodation for _OSI("Darwin").

With the latest version of WEG, this is what happens when I run
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Code:
kxld[as.vit9696.WhateverGreen]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[as.vit9696.WhateverGreen]:     KernelPatcher::eraseCoverageInstPrefix(unsigned long long, unsigned long)
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for as.vit9696.WhateverGreen; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Couldn't find Issues page for WEG project on vit's github so posting here.

EDIT: Sorry, was using an older version of Lilu, fixed by updating it.

Last edited:
Sorry for my negligence on this issue. After fixing SystemMemory addresses, everything works okay.
No more kernel panics, and the black screen issue hasn't come back at all.

Thank you @Fraxul @RehabMan @headkaze and vit for all your hard work. :)

I have pretty much everything working fine. You will have to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card (I used a Broadcom BCM94352Z). I dual boot with Windows. I do not have the eGPU enabled in macOS. Of course I'm more than happy to provide my Clover folder.
Sadly, the gig that would have paid for the laptop fell through, so I'm going to be a bit delayed on this. But thanks for the offer! I'll pop in here again if/when I manage to get the machine.

For what it's worth, I don't have the 3-minute delay issue. Here are my findings:

I get the 3-minute delay if either or both of the following is applied:
  • hibernatemode set to 0
  • SSDT-RMCF in clover/acpi/patched

My setup:

• hibernatemode is set to 3
  • Latest WhateverGreen + Lilu + AppleBacklightFixup + AppleBacklightInjector kexts
  • Patched SSDT-PNLF + SSDT-PNLFCFL in clover/acpi/patched
  • No SSDT-RMCF at all
  • Config.plist is attached

Note: Sleep/wake works fine for a short sleep but breaks bluetooth on wake (I blame the Intel WiFi/BT pci-e card I'm using because it's not supported and not supposed to work actually) - might be fixable but I don't use sleep so I'm not bothered.

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.2 KB · Views: 234
Back