CPU
i3-4005U
Graphics
HD 4400
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
every time I boot my computer the brightness is always at max.
Not the case with me. Also, can’t look at your files RN as I’m away from my computer.

Maybe the intermittent black screen issue is related to the brightness level being restored from NVRAM? When using RehabMan's PNLF and setting the brightness below 100% and rebooting results in a black screen for me but leaving it at 100% and it appears to work okay. Can anyone confirm this behavior?
Guess it is not the case coz my brightness levels are correctly being restored upon rebooting. Still, will test this and update.

Motherboard
MSI GS60 6QE (non-4k version)
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
GTX 970M / HD530
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Centris
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @headkaze, I've recently seen a pretty amazing deal on the Aero 15x, 1070 FHD (8th gen i7), and I'm seriously considering jumping in. Where is your system now, in terms of functionality, working/not working? Also, have you made—or would you consider making—a guide? (And would you share your Clover folder and kexts?) I've done a few desktop hacks, and one MSI laptop (which was pretty tough), so I'm not super green or super experienced. A guide would be a massive help (and this is an awesome machine for pro users!).

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 1070 Max-Q / 4K
Hi @headkazeI've recently seen a pretty amazing deal on the Aero 15x, 1070 FHD (8th gen i7), and I'm seriously considering jumping in. Where is your system now, in terms of functionality, working/not working? Also, have you made—or would you consider making—a guide? (And would you share your Clover folder and kexts?)
I have pretty much everything working fine. You will have to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card (I used a Broadcom BCM94352Z). I dual boot with Windows. I do not have the eGPU enabled in macOS. Of course I'm more than happy to provide my Clover folder.

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Info:

For anyone using the latest WEG and still facing the black screen issue intermittently, make sure you use the attached the SSDT-PNLF.

The SSDT-PNLF in the hotpatch repo initializes the PWM_FREQ1 to 0xffff which is the root cause of this issue.

Thanks @Fraxul for pointing that out, I would never ever have guessed that.

@RehabMan, I would love to hear you views on this.

Credits: RehabMan for "graphics_PNLF-ACPI100.txt" DSDT patch. The attached SSDT is based on that code.

To conclude, backlight now works 100% of the times. Though I have only tested 15 times, will update in case this issue haunts me ever again.

Regards
Even with the new SSDT-PNLF I'm still booting to a black screen 95% of the time. Ugh.

I know I already uploaded this to the GitHub, but for those like Rehabman that have only been commenting here I'm uploading the PR files again.

With everyone else getting this sorted, hopefully we can get it sorted with the Razerblade 15 also. We have to be close.

Attachments

Motherboard
HP-zbook
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD620
Mobile Phone
Android
Thank you very much,with your attached PNLF file and WEG, the black screen issue seems has been solved in my Dell G3 3579 (with i7-8750h UHD630), but when I try to reboot again and verify it, I encounter a kernel panic associated with "IONVME", I think I need to read Rehaman's thread, it seems that my toshiba nvme is not supported:(
Thank you again, and also thanks all the people who have worked for this problem!

Motherboard
CFL_Freed (Acer Laptop)
CPU
i5-8300H
Graphics
UHD 630 / 1050Ti 1920x1080 resolution
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Thanks you very much the new PNLF have completely resolve my issue, now 100% no more black screen :mrgreen:
There is only a slight problem: every time I boot my computer the brightness is always at max.
My virtual nvram is working and the backlight level is saved in nvram, but it is not restored it seems.
Maybe the intermittent black screen issue is related to the brightness level being restored from NVRAM? When using RehabMan's PNLF and setting the brightness below 100% and rebooting results in a black screen for me but leaving it at 100% and it appears to work okay. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

I was trying to make my dedicated nvidia graphics work so I was using the emulated nvram.
It turned out that the emulated nvram was the cause for the brightness to be set at full while rebooting.
I switched to native nvram and now my brightness settings persists across boots.

Just one more thing to add - everytime I reboot from windows 10 to high sierra, I get black screen.
Cold boot always works fine.

Motherboard
HP i5-dc0007nl-F.06
CPU
i5-8300H/HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 & GTX 1050
I was trying to make my dedicated nvidia graphics work so I was using the emulated nvram.
It turned out that the emulated nvram was the cause for the brightness to be set at full while rebooting.
I switched to native nvram and now my brightness settings persists across boots.

Just one more thing to add - everytime I reboot from windows 10 to high sierra, I get black screen.
Cold boot always works fine.
If I remove EmuvariableEfi I get a kernel panic so I have to use virtual NVRAM.
Also before wathevergreen was updated to include AppleBacklightFixup.kext my brightness was correctly restored across reboot, I didn’t have the 3 minutes black screen but the max brightness was low.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
The SSDT-PNLF in the hotpatch repo initializes the PWM_FREQ1 to 0xffff which is the root cause of this issue.

Thanks @Fraxul for pointing that out, I would never ever have guessed that.

@RehabMan, I would love to hear you views on this.

Credits: RehabMan for "graphics_PNLF-ACPI100.txt" DSDT patch. The attached SSDT is based on that code.
The fact that it initializes to 0xFFFF is by design.
If that is an issue, you will need to explain why.

If you want a basic PNLF, just use config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/AddPNLF (no need for the various ACPI brightness methods, as macOS does not use them). Not sure what controls Clover offers for setting the _UID. You could also create a very simple PNLF device with the needed _UID (still no need for ACPI brightness methods).

Also, note that disabling SSDT-PNLF initialization of the backlight registers is part of the design... You can set RMCF.BKLT=0, but in that case you would need code to set _UID as appropriate.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Some more testing on my end. If I remove the SSDT-PNLF from the patched folder, my laptop boots with full brightness every single time, no brightness controls obviously. As soon as I add Fraxul or RehabMan's SSDT-PNLF I immediately boot to a black screen almost every time.

I'm going to keep using it in this configuration and see what happens. I can deal with no brightness controls for the time being as long as the random kernel panics are gone.

Attached PR files without the SSDT-PNLF for reference, as well as whatevergreen debug log. Without SSDT-PNLF whatevergreen log is clean, no trampoline errors and CLFWriteRegister is being wrapped.

Attachments