i5 4690k
Graphics
Asus Ge-force GTX 960
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
I'm interested in building a Hankintosh and medium tier gaming PC in one. I was hoping to use my existing computer to cannibalise parts from it (the power supply, 500gb- for the Mac side of the things and case), then near enough buy a near brand new PC. This is on a slight budget and I have used the Custo Mac Budget as a basis for my now more developed build. Yet, I have found that I do have some similar parts to that of the Custo Mac Pro and am open to any suggestions to possible upgrades or downgrades if it can help the performance/value of the Hankintosh. Some aspects such as the graphics card have been changed as well as a slightly more powerful i5 in ratio of price to performance. Yet, I have tired to stay close to the recommended build.

The background of the idea behind the build is that my current PC is getting into 4 and a half hears of near daily use and really does need an upgrade! It was a basic entry level PC when bought (can't remember what type it is atmBut was compauq) and can run some games however, would like to be able to run better games (on a 1TB windows hardrive) and also be able to do school work on it and too utilise my iPad and iPhone (on the 500gb Hardive). I was hoping to expand my existing 500GB Hardive into. 1.5TB with the 120GB SSD as a 'power up' Hardrive. This is because I have heard of good things about SSD's in boosting power up yet, can change this is necessary as I have also heard too that you should only buys SSD's if there is a purpose for them. I would use the Mac for school work (as I love macs!) and have the windows for the gaming on. In the further, I would add to this, such as a Mac Pro case to house it in?

These are the pieces I'm wishing to buy new, current cost is £540.95 from Amazon however, this will be reduced as I have found some parts to be cheaper elsewhere;
Intel i5 4690k CPU at 3.5GHz, 6MB Cache, 4600 graphics, processor,
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H, Intel, LGA1150, Z97, Miroc-ATX, Motherboard,
Seagate 1TB Barracuda, St31000524AS, 7200rpm, Hardrive,
Kingston 129GB, SSD (for the start up of both Mac and Windows as well as acting as a pricy back up drive if it was to fail, so that I do not lose the 1.5TB Hardrive instead!),
2x Crucial 4GB, PC1600, CL11, DDR3, SIMM, RAM (8GB total-which should be pleanty but can upgrade tow further slots in need be),
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, Graphics Card (this is great value per performance and is more for gaming than mac),
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Express adapter, (I believe that this is to allow access to some of the Mac features such as transferring of work form Mac to iPad and will also improve my wifi speed!),

Sorry if if this with I the wrong Forum as this is my first post so forgive me for being a noob! I have psoted this on the Desktop compatibilty area however, have yet to get much help or advice.

What are people's opinions on this, do you believe that this would work and if not what is this, this will be of help to me I am sure!

Many thanks,

Hazzer.

Only 2 comments on your plans and components.
1. Use of older PSU on new Haswell board and CPU may cause problems if PSU is not rated Haswell reado or Haswell certified.

2. 750Ti is not natively supported in OS X and requires nVidia Web drivers to work. Updates to next version of OS X must wait on nVidia driver updates, which may be a couple of months.

Thanks for the reply Going Bald,
I have debated not using the SPU (im really not sure what brand/capacity it is-something I really need to get around to doing), I've also considered using a G5 Mac Pro case, as my case my not be able to hold the upgrades which I wish to do which would too come with a SPU yet, would be used (and may have similar problems with my current one). As well as use other peices from the case such as fans in order to keep the classical look. Or like you said get a new one. What would your opinions be on this?

As for the Ti Graphics, it would be more for the Windows side of things (which I would operate both systems through clover) when gaming. Would I have to unplug/dismount the Graphics card when I go into Mac or will it allow me to just run as normal and not be able to run when mac is on? This is because it does not really affect me as the Mac would be more for work and the linking up of the iPhone and iPad to a more permanent home base and don't expect to do much other things on the mac, aside from surfing the web and possibly watching a movie or tv on the web such as Netflix. Would the Mac performance be hugely effected by not having an operating Graphics card?

Apart from above I assume that this combination should be ok? Is there a need to chose a slightly more advanced motherboard for instance? (Apart from the obvious decision to upgrade every now and again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back