Contribute
Register

G5 'No Rear Cut'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be coming along nicely. You'll really like the speed of the FV-T919 and the BT range.
Just noticed. Looking at the front of your G5, these and the classic MP up to 2012 were the last Macs to have a front power button and a bit of I/O on there too. I wonder how Jobs even let them do this ? He was obsessive about not having any buttons or ports on the front of Macs. Mac mini, iMac etc. all make your reach around the back to power on or plug in something via USB. EDIT: Look at the 2019 MP designed by Ive. No buttons or ports on the front. Just hundreds of those strange looking 3D porti-vents. I liked how they looked on the G5 and original MP.

Last edited:
Looks to be coming along nicely. You'll really like the speed of the FV-T919 and the BT range.
I think this is a great card, the bluetooth signal is ridiculous, really powerful!. I'm chuffed to bits with this build, and I've shown you don't have to cut this great case to get it all working. And thanks trs96 for your,
[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II
I have built a great machine for under $500, starting off with that Dell 7010 motherboard. Shame I couldn't get the Fusion drive to boot. But I did create the fusion drive easily and was able to boot from NVMe alone, after booting clover from a HHD with Mojave. I'm just going to experiment with it in the HP6300proMT and see if I can get a fusion drive to boot.

He was obsessive about not having any buttons or ports on the front of Macs.
He was obsessive about that!. Easier to reach round a Mac mini than a G5 though!.

Last edited:
[Update]
Finished the rear of the G5, and did it with no cutting. I filled the last expansion slot with a custom USB 3 X 4 expansion card. Fabricated from the USB 3 portable travel hub and an expansion port cover. I used the same epoxy that I fixed the motherboard standoffs with. It's not pretty, but it's strong!.

IMG_0968.jpg
RenderedImage.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0969.jpgScreen Shot 2019-05-05 at 7.56.39 PM.png

Here's another low cost option for adding USB 3.0 ports that looks easy to implement on the back panel. One solution for those doing a "no cut" of the back panel G5 mod. Of course, the USB 3.0 header has to be accessible on your board.
Since I don't own a PowerMac G5 I'm not sure whether the cable length is sufficient. Maybe Craig can comment on how/if this would work. I think that most of these are 18-19 inches in length so they should work. From this pic the build quality looks excellent for the low cost you'll pay.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Here's another one that state's the cable is 18 inches. Don't appreciate the bright blue cables though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTYOKXO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Here's another low cost option for adding USB 3.0 ports that looks easy to implement on the back panel. Easy solution for those doing a "no cut" of the back panel G5 mod.
Since I don't own a PowerMac G5 I'm not sure whether the cable length is sufficient. Maybe Craig can comment on how/if this would work. I think that most of these are 18-19 inches in length so they should work. From this pic the build quality looks excellent for the low cost you'll pay.

Hi trs96. Thanks for the link and suggestions. I was looking at these options before fabricating my USB3 card, the only reason I didn't pick them was because I wanted to use my four ports. These two port versions would fit easily inside my case between the graphics card and Fenvi FV-T919. And the length of the cable is ideal for threading above and back down the top shelf to keep the cable away from the graphics card fans. Also there's enough room to plug the header into the motherboard as my full length graphics card has an angled edge above the header which leaves an inch of space. If my 4 port USB3 card breaks, I would definitely get one of these to replace it. Thanks again trs96

Here's another low cost option for adding USB 3.0 ports that looks easy to implement on the back panel. One solution for those doing a "no cut" of the back panel G5 mod.

[UPDATE]

So, when buiding a Hackintosh inside a G5 case, consider cooling especially below the top shelf!. Having lost an RX580, HP 250GB EX920 NVMe and 16GB GSkill ram. I started again, though this time with less demand on the hardware. I thought about removing the top shelf to open up more space, but then it would involve removing the clips that hold the plastic cover and side panel!. I could use a Dremel and cut a hole out above a dual fan graphics card, but that's for another time. I took trs96 from post #14 advice and purchased a USB3 PCI expansion bracket to 20 pin header. The cable is long enough to thread through the top self and back to the motherboard.

I tried using the original 92mm fans from the APMG5, but I just couldn't get them to work. Moving air through the G5 case is important if you're planning a 'No Cut' build. I got this Thermaltake Blue-Eye LED fan for $15 on Amazon. It has a manual speed controller, because there's no PWM I suppose!. It's a little noisy when running on high, I have it sucking cool air from the back and blowing it straight out the front of the case over the hardware. I can feel the air coming out the front.

I attached it to top of the original fan guard and Attached a Molex male to 2x3.5 female power adapter, which I got from Newegg for $5, (currently out of stock).

Another replacement was the graphics card!, I chose a RX 560 LP, instead of a large RX 580. The card I purchased, a Refurbished MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 from Newegg. It doesn't cover the SATA ports! and it fits really nicely on the motherboard inside the G5 case.

APMG5 back panel no cut. I chose to add the Fenvi BT and wireless card on this build instead of the NVMe drive. I could fit it but I would lose the wireless card and would have to connect to the internet via Ethernet. I have Dual boot SSDs one for Mojave and the other for Windows10pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
A lot of valuable info for "no cut" G5 mods in this thread. Looks like it is a finished project now. One question is why put the G5 up on those wall mounted metal brackets ? Is that because of limited space ? Also, does the RX 560 shroud leave the PCIe x1 slot open to easily connect a riser cable to it.

Last edited:
One question is why put the G5 up on those wall mounted metal brackets ? Is that because of limited space ?

Mostly limited space, I did have HP6300 mounted there, it’s lighter than the G5 and I could swap and test parts easily. But judging by the photo below of my little workshop alcove, it should probably sit on the floor!.

7DD85CF4-FD76-4B27-833F-9956C63881B6.jpeg

Also, does the RX 560 shroud leave the PCIe x1 slot open to easily connect a riser cable to it.

Looking at it, the plastic housing of the 560 seems to be closer to the motherboard than the 580!. Was you thinking about @BillyGoatGruff suggestion and using a PCIe riser so I can release that x4 Slot for the NVMe @trs96?. I would definitely try it and see if it would work. I thought about putting the Fenvi BTwireless card behind the DVD tray and have the aerials attached to the cover.

Was you thinking about @BillyGoatGruff suggestion and using a PCIe riser so I can release that x4 Slot for the NVMe
Not for your build in particular, just for anyone using that RX560 that might want their Wifi BT card connected to the x1.
I think that going with Sata SSDs will give you fewer overheating worries and the 560 should stay plenty cool without having to ramp up it's fan too much. You've got less speed and power than when you had a 580 and NVMe in there but you've got a much lower chance of burning out components with this layout. RMA ing hardware gets tiresome after a few times. It's good to get that sense of completion on a build where you can leave it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back