Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock - H270M Pro4
CPU
Intel i3-6100
Graphics
MSI GeForce GT 710 1GB
A few weeks ago a friend upgraded his PC and gave me his old CPU for free. A different friend has been in the market for a new mac for quite a while, but is on a college students budget. He loves using logic for band demos and does not want to make the switch to windows so I told him I would look into setting up a hackintosh for him. It always seemed like an interesting project. I have a bit of experience with building windows computers completing 6 or so in the past five years for various friends and friends of friends, but none with Mac OS. Besides light music production the computer will mainly be used for surfing the web and every day BS.

Here are the parts that I have picked out to build around the free processor.
Intel i3-6100
Gigabyte - GA-H270N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151
Thermaltake - CLP534 22.4 CFM CPU Cooler (Low Profile)
Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB
MSI - GeForce GT 710 1GB
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" SSD
Corsair - CXM 550W Semi-Modular PSU
Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

The few questions that I have are
1.) Will the built in Wifi on the board work?
2.) Is there a better choice for cheap graphics? If I am understanding the guides page the built in graphics will not work.
3.) What version of OSX would have the highest success rate for the hardware?

I am no master, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

*Budget Build Compatibility

Last edited:
The few questions that I have are
1.) Will the built in Wifi on the board work?

No, it won't work as the Wifi is Intel. It's fairly easy to remove that wifi card and install one that is macOS compatible. Have a look at User Builds that utilize the Z270N-Wifi for details.

2.) Is there a better choice for cheap graphics? If I am understanding the guides page the built in graphics will not work.
HD630 is supported by Apple but there are some issues with it on a hackintosh. You can buy a GT1030 GPU and use the nvidia web drivers. Only costs around $70. A GT710 will also work and costs about 40 dollars new.

3.) What version of OSX would have the highest success rate for the hardware?
As of right now go with Sierra 10.12.6, High Sierra is too new with too many issues to be worked out.

No, it won't work as the Wifi is Intel. It's fairly easy to remove that wifi card and install one that is macOS compatible. Have a look at User Builds that utilize the Z270N-Wifi for details.

HD630 is supported by Apple but there are some issues with it on a hackintosh. You can buy a GT1030 GPU and use the nvidia web drivers. Only costs around $70. A GT710 will also work and costs about 40 dollars new.

As of right now go with Sierra 10.12.6, High Sierra is too new with too many issues to be worked out.

Alright, I think I would bet better off just getting a cheaper board without Wifi and buying a separate card.
From what I read these seem like they would work:
ASRock Motherboard Motherboards H270M PRO4
Fenvi FV-T919

If there wasn't so much contradicting information about the subject of Hackintosh I would be much more confident. I really appreciate the advise though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back