RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Guys,

I would like to ask, can the installation destroy the BIOS or damage EFI?

In history I installed 5 computers (with Clover). From Sierra to Mojave. Every time without big troubles. In one case, an error occurred during the installation (probably due to incorrect EFI configuration and the bios did not work after the restart. Black screen - solved by CMOS battery removal - reset BIOS).

But, yesterday I prepared Big Sur USB with OpenCore. An error occurred during the installation while loading the installation file (cross + scattered letters). I restarted the computer and it did not boot the BIOS (reboot loop after 4–5 sec). So I removed GPU, RAM, battery and tried again. BIOS said it needs to be setup, I clicked yes and the black screen appears. Nothing happened - after restart ASUS logo appeared (delete to BIOS F2 to EFI config). I can't reach bios by delete - only black screen (tried with GPU and dedicated MB HDMI - same) or F2 - same. If I let it continue, red square with error (see attachments) So today I did the same process (GPU, RAM, battery, by MB manual reset bridge) and there is black screen forever. Computer is running fans, everything seems ok but there is no image on screen. No BIOS - nothing.

MB: Asus Z170M + i5 Skylake, GPU RX570, RAM Ballistix 32g

So what can I do about it? Is it possible that the installation interferes with the BIOS and may damage it?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• image00-15.png
    image00-15.png
    664 KB · Views: 184
Hello Guys,

I would like to ask, can the installation destroy the BIOS or damage EFI?

In history I installed 5 computers (with Clover). From Sierra to Mojave. Every time without big troubles. In one case, an error occurred during the installation (probably due to incorrect EFI configuration and the bios did not work after the restart. Black screen - solved by CMOS battery removal - reset BIOS).

But, yesterday I prepared Big Sur USB with OpenCore. An error occurred during the installation while loading the installation file (cross + scattered letters). I restarted the computer and it did not boot the BIOS (reboot loop after 4–5 sec). So I removed GPU, RAM, battery and tried again. BIOS said it needs to be setup, I clicked yes and the black screen appears. Nothing happened - after restart ASUS logo appeared (delete to BIOS F2 to EFI config). I can't reach bios by delete - only black screen (tried with GPU and dedicated MB HDMI - same) or F2 - same. If I let it continue, red square with error (see attachments) So today I did the same process (GPU, RAM, battery, by MB manual reset bridge) and there is black screen forever. Computer is running fans, everything seems ok but there is no image on screen. No BIOS - nothing.

MB: Asus Z170M + i5 Skylake, GPU RX570, RAM Ballistix 32g

So what can I do about it? Is it possible that the installation interferes with the BIOS and may damage it?

Thank you for your time.
No BIOS screen? Sound serious.

There has been some reports in the past that OpenCore may cause problems with the BIOS :

But those who are affected use Haswell (Z97) motherboards and you are not using such a motherboard.

I suggest trying to clear and reinitialize the BIOS by shorting a jumper on the motherboard while disconnected from power (if your motherboard has such a jumper) or by removing the BIOS battery and reinstalling it after some time.

Hi and thank you for your reply,

yes, It looks like the BIOS is dead. My MB have a jumper and I tried this with battery and without battery. One solution I found is reinstall BIOS by removing the chip from MB and use this magic box to install.

So I just bought new MB for 50$ and rebuild it. But It is really strange.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back