Contribute
Register

Broke the USB of a working 10.13, Migration Assistant copies the problem over fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-Gaming 3
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mysterious title, let me clarify:

I had a decently working install of High Sierra, while I was trying to figure out how to get Ethernet to work via Multibeast I decided to try some new USB options to see if they could address my problematic USB 3.0 ports. Horrible idea, as this blocked all USB ports and I found myself unable to log in as mouse and keyboard would not respond.

After a few attempts to fix the thing I decided to just give up, get a fresh install on another SSD and then use migration assistant to copy users, data and programs from the old SSD into the new. The installation itself went smooth, Multibeast (with very minimal options) and the nvidia drivers gave no problems, and of course the USB ports worked fine.

Once the migration assistant finished its job, though, I got once again no working USB port... And this regardless of whether I also migrated options & settings or "other various data" with the rest (during the last attempt I chose only programs and my main user to be copied, still no luck)

Any idea? Sorry for the confusing text but I've been on this problem for two days now and it's frying my brain :(

Mysterious title, let me clarify:

I had a decently working install of High Sierra, while I was trying to figure out how to get Ethernet to work via Multibeast I decided to try some new USB options to see if they could address my problematic USB 3.0 ports. Horrible idea, as this blocked all USB ports and I found myself unable to log in as mouse and keyboard would not respond.

After a few attempts to fix the thing I decided to just give up, get a fresh install on another SSD and then use migration assistant to copy users, data and programs from the old SSD into the new. The installation itself went smooth, Multibeast (with very minimal options) and the nvidia drivers gave no problems, and of course the USB ports worked fine.

Once the migration assistant finished its job, though, I got once again no working USB port... And this regardless of whether I also migrated options & settings or "other various data" with the rest (during the last attempt I chose only programs and my main user to be copied, still no luck)

Any idea? Sorry for the confusing text but I've been on this problem for two days now and it's frying my brain :(

Hi there.

Hopefully your keyboard still works in the Clover Boot Menu. When you arrive there press the SpaceBar to see the boot options. Choose "Block Injected Kexts>" and then select any of the USB kexts you must have in there to prevent them loading. This might get you back to a working desktop, although not all USB ports will be working, most will.

If you installed any kexts into Library/Extensions instead they are harder to get at because you usually need to boot to the Finder to get there. However you can do all the necessary tasks from within Terminal . It's not easy though, and you will need to do some research to learn the commands, but if you boot into the UniBeast installer drive and select the 'Tools' option and then Terminal (so don't try installing at all) you will be able to 'ls' the necessary directory and 'rm -r' the necessary files before rebuilding the caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back