I7 6700k
Graphics
HD 530 IGFX; GIGABYTE RX 460
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi all

I’m pretty much a novice but I muddled together a working hack around 18 months ago - I used an RX460 as I didn’t want to go backwards but this seemed to be the gpu to work out of the box.

Upgraded to Hogh Sierra no problem, my hack has just “worked” for months so I’ve never tweeked it on the basis of “ if it ain’t broke”.

Well upgraded to 10.13.4 today and it won’t boot - will boot from my usb. It undoubtedly gpu related.

I run 2 monitors one vga on internal and one on DP.

However I have been able to leave my vga off, and boot to the DP monitor ( although black screen all the way ) the only proviso being the monitor must be on and not on standby.

Just before it comes on I here the fan on my RX460. Now I do not hear this happening.

And help in very basic terms would be very appreciated.

I can mount drive and edit edit plist etc but anything more complex I’ll be lost!!

Many thanks in advance

hi all

I’m pretty much a novice but I muddled together a working hack around 18 months ago - I used an RX460 as I didn’t want to go backwards but this seemed to be the gpu to work out of the box.

Upgraded to Hogh Sierra no problem, my hack has just “worked” for months so I’ve never tweeked it on the basis of “ if it ain’t broke”.

Well upgraded to 10.13.4 today and it won’t boot - will boot from my usb. It undoubtedly gpu related.

I run 2 monitors one vga on internal and one on DP.

However I have been able to leave my vga off, and boot to the DP monitor ( although black screen all the way ) the only proviso being the monitor must be on and not on standby.

Just before it comes on I here the fan on my RX460. Now I do not hear this happening.

And help in very basic terms would be very appreciated.

I can mount drive and edit edit plist etc but anything more complex I’ll be lost!!

Many thanks in advance

What are the steps you followed to update to 10.13.4 ? What were you running before?
Have you updated Clover ? Have you updated kexts ?

Are you using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?

If you boot in verbose mode, where does it gets stuck at? Please provide a screenshot

What are the steps you followed to update to 10.13.4 ? What were you running before?
Have you updated Clover ? Have you updated kexts ?

Are you using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?

If you boot in verbose mode, where does it gets stuck at? Please provide a screenshot

Many thanks Jamessst20

Before this I was running the first build of high Sierra - I couldn’t get that to update either from Sierra - but as I only use FCPX it was no big deal to do a fresh install and this worked.

So I’ve done the same again, new unibeast usb and macOS 10.13.4. I’ve not been so lucky this has only reproduced the same problem as I had above. I can go in using the usb but not boot from th HD. The same happens, the gpu fans spin up and then nothing on my main monitor. The vga monitor goes blank shortly after boot but just before the gpu fans spin up.

No idea what or how to install “Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext”

How do you boot in verbose mode please? Many thanks

Many thanks Jamessst20

Before this I was running the first build of high Sierra - I couldn’t get that to update either from Sierra - but as I only use FCPX it was no big deal to do a fresh install and this worked.

So I’ve done the same again, new unibeast usb and macOS 10.13.4. I’ve not been so lucky this has only reproduced the same problem as I had above. I can go in using the usb but not boot from th HD. The same happens, the gpu fans spin up and then nothing on my main monitor. The vga monitor goes blank shortly after boot but just before the gpu fans spin up.

No idea what or how to install “Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext”

How do you boot in verbose mode please? Many thanks

Verbose mode means booting with -v flag.

I am quoting you what I read for your card (RX 460)

Note on current AMD cards (3rd & 4th Gen GCN):
Many modern AMD GPUs are incorrectly initialized during boot phase, which will can lead to serious issues in OS X (e.g. boot to black screen or crash after sleep/wake). This was first solved by the WhateverGreen Lilu plugin. Extensive research has been done by Mieze, resulting in a DSDT patch. This knowledge has been incorporated into Clover (starting with rev. 4296) and can be enabled from the config.plist like this:
Code (Text):
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>
We recommend using the Clover solution.

So, you need the RadeonDeInit flag enabled or if you prefer, you can install Lilu&WhateverGreen text.

The RadeonDeInit is probably enabled on your USB, hence why it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back