CPU: i7-4790K
Mem: G Skill Ripjaw X 16GB DDR3-1866MHz
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 SC
Wireless: Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD
Keyboard: Logitech K750
Mouse: Apple Trackpad
Clover config: Mac Pro 3,1

Yosemite on Chimera ran well at 1080p. I only ran into one issue when upgrading iTunes that created a graphics issue and bricked the unit, requiring a format and reinstall from the integrated graphics then installing and updating the gpu.

I ran a lower resolution before needing to reinstall without any issues besides the audio not working after sleep. After reinstalling, occassionally the pointer would skip/lag, sometimes even to a point it was difficult to use the desktop GUI for a minute or two at a time. I switched to 4K resolution and the problem arose at almost the same rate. I monitored the memory/cpu usage when this occured, but didn't notice a spike when this occurred.

I decided to upgrade to El Capitan recently as my system was stable beside the occasional mouse lag. I used tonymac's guide for UEFI Clover and even removed the old Chimera kexts as described here. I successfully completed the El Capitan upgrade with updated NVIDIA web drivers, but the pointer skip/lag occasional issue persisted. I did some googling and came across several sources stating AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext to be the culprit and that it wasn't necessary and safe to remove. I then changed it to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.old and rebooted.

After this, the boot sequence (USB, SSD, and recovery) would hang up on io80211awdlpeermanager, Illegal instuction: 4, or boot0: error. I don't have screenshots of the verbose boot. I fiddled with the boot sequences and boot flags for a bit and now it immediately restarts after a boot sequence is chosen, occasionally booting to a very lo-fi blue and white clover boot screen. It won't boot into any clover boot modes and the boot arg: nvda_drv=1 is always injected and unable to be changed. Boot arg: nv_disable=1 won't boot with or without the gpu plugged in.

What to do if I can't boot to the OS? How can I start from scratch? Do I need to flash the BIOS?

Excuse my newbie ignorance, this is my first hackintosh. Any help is appreciated!

Well, you shouldn't need to flash the BIOS. But you will need a way to boot to a UNIBEAST install so that you can do a fresh install again, or if you're lucky you have a Time Machine drive or a backup of some kind. Then you can boot into the Recovery HD and reinstall from there.

What to do if I can't boot to the OS? How can I start from scratch? Do I need to flash the BIOS?

Do you have the option to boot into Recovery from the Clover menu? If so, do it. Then launch Terminal and you can rename AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.old to AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and touch S/L/E and reboot with no caches very similar to the process for deleting a kext.

I have the option to boot to the recovery, but it doesn't boot. It get's stuck in a restart loop directly after this error:

Code:
OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for com.apple.recovery.boot\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
Using Safe Mode
ERROR!!! Recovery Image verification fail with status [0x800000000000000e]

The same error occurs with other boot options (without caches, etc), except for the Safe Mode line.

I believe I forgot to touch S/L/E after deleting the Chimera kexts and before rebooting.

Recovery image verification fail sounds like the recovery drive is broken. Let's see. Did you try selecting the regular system drive in Clover and hitting space bar and selecting single-user mode? Does that work? If so you can still follow the instructions in the link I gave before.

If you can't get into single-user mode or the recovery partition, then I think your only boot option is to boot from a USB installer. Maybe try the same from there (single-user mode for the system drive, or a regular boot from the recovery partition).

I cannot access any of the 3 boot drives, with any of the boot options. I have tried almost all combinations of boot options, boot flags, etc. but it still reboots.

It won't boot from the USB even if there is no SSD plugged in and the only boot sequence listed is the USB.

All boot drives present similar errors:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Then it restarts. It was at least getting past this stage earlier in troubleshooting, but never completed the boot cycle.

I have reformatted the USB bootable drive with UniBeast several times, but it still doesn't boot.

Yes, I successfully installed El Capitan using the general guide. I did not troubleshoot the typical issues, like audio after sleep, but it was running and booted with no issues.

At first, my bootable drive couldn't find the /Systems/Library/Kernels/Kernel so I reformatted and reinstalled via UniBeast.

I didn't pay close attention to my steps, so I'm unsure if it was the process of deleting the Chimera kexts and attempting to rid the system of the Chimera bootloader entirely or if it was the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext modification.

I also added the Intel HD4000 graphics configuration to the bootable USB and ticked the injection in the Clover configurator.

Boot0 error arises depending on the boot order. Either that, an "insert bootable drive and press a key" error message, or restart loop after a boot sequence is chosen. Those are my choices so far.

Is there a way to start fresh?

Is there a way to start fresh?

Yes. Boot from your UniBeast install USB (recreate it if necessary) and select install OS X.

When the installer comes up, go into Disk Utility before you proceed with the install. Assuming there's nothing important on there, erase the drive you want to install to (selecting partition type GPT and format OS X Extended (Journaled)). Then quit Disk Utility and proceed with the install to the partition you just created.

I would have done this if I could boot to USB. This is why I asked if I should flash the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back