Contribute
Register

Broadwell E - i7-6950X x99 - Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GPU question depends on you needs. I work with highres raw video footage and use only one 980ti for GUI and calc. A friend use the same setup with two 970. Then both cards were used for calculation BUT that depends on the application you want use.

Reactions: GDS
Hello (both of you)

Thx for those answers:

So about the 750 Intel: ok i will put it in the "basket" instead of a M2 Samsung
same for the DDR4 3400, 64GB
For the 980Ti i (Gaming) will start by one WC/OC and will see if it is enough or not,

all of this it is at 90% it is for rendering photogrammetry under photoscan pro and also for 360° video with Autopano video pro (10 cams at 4K), also premiere CC and Red Giant using
and it takes a while to make rendering with a "normal" mac

PS: i saw that the 750 looses lot of iterest at high t°C during a while (strong sequential requests etc etc) so: watercooled :) ;)
also no need of tricky installation it is plug'n'play?

The patch was for just bumping the memory space in case you had PCI mapping issues (which you'd experience if you were in Verbose mode and saw it get stuck at the PCI-ConfigurationBegin phase). If you're not in Verbose mode (-v), I'd add that flag to see where you get to. Otherwise, there have been a few times where I needed to boot in Single User mode, then 'exit' at the console to get in. I've had to do that maybe twice out of 12 or so reboots.

Also, the PCI stuff is independent of the specific chip model. I think Broadwell-e probably changed some mapping parameters, but I don't think it would vary within the product line. So, it should work for any of the >= 68XX/69XX chips.

verbose mode results in black screen, can't see where it ends....

Hey, just adding that I got the 6950X (Broadwell E) / ASUS x99 Deluxe II / 980ti installed with barely any issues. I followed a mix of x99 guides to get a 5930K working, then used a patch from the wonderful Brumbaer to allocate more memory during the PCI ConfigurationBegin phase, then it booted right up.

I'm not much one for documenting but what I essentially did was...

1) NOT used a USB stick. I installed El Capitan directly to an SSD, from a real mac. Installed clover on it. Booted directly to it in new Machine.

2) Updated VoodooTCSync with a 19 for the core setting.

3) Added brumbaer's patch for 5960X (search it on google, I'm not sure what the cross-posting/crediting rules are)...

4) Boot!

What isn't working is my USB 3.0 ports, a crazy TCP/IP lag, onboard ethernet is much slower than WiFi, and I'm using FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, and I'm sure I'm not getting the geek bench score that I probably should be. I've spent way too many days trying to get this working and I actually have to get some work done so I'll probably wait to tweak it for performance. Just happy to see so many cores plowing through my compiling tasks!

Again, thanks to the Hackintosh community, you guys rock!

So a very BIG thank you to axehomeyg, brumbaer and all the others for renewing the life of my X99 Deluxe.
I had tried a few methods using the brumbaer patch and other good advice on this website and others.
It was this post that made it happen for me.

On my X99/5960X/yosemite system I applied the brumbaer clover patch and installed that on the yosemite system. Rebooted and it did so, therefore the patch had no effect on running and booting yosemite.

On a Z170 machine running EC I carbon copied that ssd to a USB external ssd. I did not run clover or copy any EFI folder and files over...just ccc'd.

Moved the USB SSD to the X99 machine and rebooted, knowing that the yosemite EFI would be the boot folder/files (with brumbaer patch). From the clover menu I selected the USB SSD with the ccc'd EC on it...and it ...pause...it booted! And it booted EC. Unbelievable all those weeks of frustration and this is now real!

From the USB SSD I further ccc'd to the original yosemite SSD, removed the USD SSD and rebooted...into glorious el Capitan 10.11.6 (beta version). Warm boot/cold boot it works.

Now my X99 has a new life...well, until I get one of those 6950X beasts...

Again many thanks to all in the community.

Hello (both of you)

Thx for those answers:

So about the 750 Intel: ok i will put it in the "basket" instead of a M2 Samsung
same for the DDR4 3400, 64GB
For the 980Ti i (Gaming) will start by one WC/OC and will see if it is enough or not,

all of this it is at 90% it is for rendering photogrammetry under photoscan pro and also for 360° video with Autopano video pro (10 cams at 4K), also premiere CC and Red Giant using
and it takes a while to make rendering with a "normal" mac

PS: i saw that the 750 looses lot of iterest at high t°C during a while (strong sequential requests etc etc) so: watercooled :) ;)
also no need of tricky installation it is plug'n'play?

Its not just plug n play there are alot of tinkering that has to be done. Have a look at this page and read up on the linked pages that they are referring to.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...itan-10-11-2-clover-guide-100-working.183441/

Reactions: GDS
Its not just plug n play there are alot of tinkering that has to be done. Have a look at this page and read up on the linked pages that they are referring to.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...itan-10-11-2-clover-guide-100-working.183441/

Thx again Steathster!

I am kind of guy optimistic and with all the help of this community (some, as you, arrived to install and use a 750 art 100%, and explained their ways), it is not my first Hack, first one was with a 990x (straight after it was on the market)
and 6 years ago it was pretty tricky to let it be recognized ;)
So: let's try and see :D

PS: i am curious to know your configuration cause if you have a 6950x and also a 750 and a 980Ti, it looks pretty as i want to do, so if you agree i will like to know it and also your use?

Cheers

Thx again Steathster!

I am kind of guy optimistic and with all the help of this community (some, as you, arrived to install and use a 750 art 100%, and explained their ways), it is not my first Hack, first one was with a 990x (straight after it was on the market)
and 6 years ago it was pretty tricky to let it be recognized ;)
So: let's try and see :D

PS: i am curious to know your configuration cause if you have a 6950x and also a 750 and a 980Ti, it looks pretty as i want to do, so if you agree i will like to know it and also your use?

Cheers
Yes you are correct! If somebody like me who dosnt have a computer background can do it Im sure you can. And my system is listed below.
MSI Godlike Gaming
Gigabyte 980Ti G1
Intel 750 Nvme 800GB windows
Intel 750 Nvme 400GB hackintosh
I just use it for mostly gaming nothing serious as video rendering or things like that.
I built it to be a showpiece. And planing to do watercooled later on with hardline tubing.
20160626_074605.jpg

thx a lot for infos
and super hack

hope that u didnt understand badly my sentence:
i said that with the community and ppl who arrived already: so it is possible (if i request help i am sure to find, and if i can help in return) ;)
i didnt say that u didnt have any skills in it (not at all)

;)

my hack now costs 5 500 $ around
and i bought at very cheap price the components (w/o taxes for many of them)
but it is a passion and a great tool for my professional's projects! so...

I have included 1 600 $ only of watercooling (hardline tubes monsoon 5/8" and everything from EK WB and Aquacomputer for the control by aquaero 6 XT: they help me a lot financialy for that) ;)
Intel 750 watercooled too cause the perfs downgrade drastically if it is hot long time (sequential r/w on lot of queues...)

Delta of 7 °C as objective for the WC
(Delta t° = t°C between the t° C inside the case and the t° C of the processor OC
for that 1 200 W dissipated possible with 2 pumps OC and 3 rads in push pull with shrouds
(my hack produce just 650 W of T°C at 100% use and 4,5 GHz@1,35v tested by a friend 24h)
:D

i will post it and the results of the OC / WC
clearly i want a war machine :D
and nothing but the performance in calculation and rendering...

PS: I have a request which will help me like crazy (and not about hack directly: sorry about that)
u have the same video card that i ordered and i cannot find the length of the PCB (so without included the huge rad on it)

May you take 5 mins of your time and measures this lenght?
it is will let me manage the integration in 3D creation to be sure that everything will be fine in my Air 540
cause i cannot find precisely this lenght (with the radiator no pb without: i cannot)
Thx again ;)

20160626_140652.jpg
thx a lot for infos
and super hack

hope that u didnt understand badly my sentence:
i said that with the community and ppl who arrived already: so it is possible (if i request help i am sure to find, and if i can help in return) ;)
i didnt say that u didnt have any skills in it (not at all)

;)

my hack now costs 5 500 $ around
and i bought at very cheap price the components (w/o taxes for many of them)
but it is a passion and a great tool for my professional's projects! so...

I have included 1 600 $ only of watercooling (hardline tubes monsoon 5/8" and everything from EK WB and Aquacomputer for the control by aquaero 6 XT: they help me a lot financialy for that) ;)
Intel 750 watercooled too cause the perfs downgrade drastically if it is hot long time (sequential r/w on lot of queues...)

Delta of 7 °C as objective for the WC
(Delta t° = t°C between the t° C inside the case and the t° C of the processor OC
for that 1 200 W dissipated possible with 2 pumps OC and 3 rads in push pull with shrouds
(my hack produce just 650 W of T°C at 100% use and 4,5 GHz@1,35v tested by a friend 24h)
:D

i will post it and the results of the OC / WC
clearly i want a war machine :D
and nothing but the performance in calculation and rendering...

PS: I have a request which will help me like crazy (and not about hack directly: sorry about that)
u have the same video card that i ordered and i cannot find the length of the PCB (so without included the huge rad on it)

May you take 5 mins of your time and measures this lenght?
it is will let me manage the integration in 3D creation to be sure that everything will be fine in my Air 540
cause i cannot find precisely this lenght (with the radiator no pb without: i cannot)
Thx again ;)

I wanted to contact you by PM but dont have enough posts yet. attached is the pic of the gpu pcb. it measures at 10 1/2 inches. I also wanted to talk to you more about your system but dont think this post is the right place to do it as I think we are hijacking this thread. would you mind searching for my last post and posting over there. thanks

Last edited:
No pb i will with pleasure...

Yes u are right not the post but intersting for the community to see some "different" hackintosh which can be not so common ;)

thx again a lot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back