Contribute
Register

Broadwell E - i7-6950X x99 - Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
@axehomeyg since you are the only one so far, cold you please share your EFI?? It seems weird no one else has been able to make it work so easily.. I'm on a skylake build but I wouldn't rule out the idea of swapping if it where easy as you say and stable-ish..

Damn i feel like i am never going to get this up

I have hope! I bought a 5820K (Yeah I am poor) and am getting a Gigabyte GA-X99 Ultra Gaming. Hoping this board isn't much different and can run OSX/macOS.

Hi again

working on the hardware like crazy (not at this time on the installation of the hack...)
W-cooling take a while

so my tiny question with El Capitan X.11.6 is it possible to use SLI totally OK and efficience?

i have a huge opportunity to have 2 Strix 980Ti to the price of ONE (used but as new), but if it is useless cause not able to use the SLI under Mac OS X i prefer to not install both :(
thx!

ps: didnt find any clear info about SLI under Mac OS X, this is why i post (some forumers posted that it is OK or so on, but not real way to do it and with evidences also)

Sli will never work or will be supported on osx, you can howerver use 2 atis 280x and use an patch to meke boot work whit final cut x. @ or more nvidias can be used by davincy resolve or maxwell render at same time whitout sli.

Sli will never work or will be supported on osx, you can howerver use 2 atis 280x and use an patch to meke boot work whit final cut x. @ or more nvidias can be used by davincy resolve or maxwell render at same time whitout sli.

Yep steelfox, sorry wrong term:

I mean Dual Titan X (maxwell not Pascal) to use for CUDA (photogrammetry) under photoscan pro, DaVincy, and also 360° videos 4K
not a gamer so SLI... :p

I was waiting to upgrade my system, because some "partners" wanted to help me financially to build it, so the bill can be little bit higher w/o pbs ;)

I bought for 1500$ of watercooling (2 Strong pumps, 3 rads for a total of 7 x 140 mms in push / pull at 1200 rpm the wc can dissipate 1100W of TDP): stability stability stability...
and everything is WC: mobo, processor, memory (128GB), the 2 titan x and the raid 0 of SM951 in PCIe
and 600$ for monitoring everything (aquaero 6 XT) cause the mobo cannot manage the t°C

it is not a "normal" computer more work station and as giacomoleopardo
it needs to be 24/24 and 7/7 working so no Sierra or else: it needs to work under X.11.6 and nothing more!
(by the way congrats to him and thx cause his work will help me) ;)

I am not starting the "real" installation of the hack but exclusively hardware right now (and i am pretty busy by other stuffs too) so it will be done in the weeks which come...

pics will follow and also Geekbench and luxmark results (hope to have good results)

I just need the PCIe fully OK (for the titan X and the M2 PCie) the sound and so on: useless,
i have an USB Apogee for the sound!

just afraid for stable OC for the 6950x and also the the BT (under el capitan, i dont know what will happen) :(

let's see

thx to the community!

Yep steelfox, sorry wrong term:

I mean Dual Titan X (maxwell not Pascal) to use for CUDA (photogrammetry) under photoscan pro, DaVincy, and also 360° videos 4K
not a gamer so SLI... :p

I was waiting to upgrade my system, because some "partners" wanted to help me financially to build it, so the bill can be little bit higher w/o pbs ;)

I bought for 1500$ of watercooling (2 Strong pumps, 3 rads for a total of 7 x 140 mms in push / pull at 1200 rpm the wc can dissipate 1100W of TDP): stability stability stability...
and everything is WC: mobo, processor, memory (128GB), the 2 titan x and the raid 0 of SM951 in PCIe
and 600$ for monitoring everything (aquaero 6 XT) cause the mobo cannot manage the t°C

it is not a "normal" computer more work station and as giacomoleopardo
it needs to be 24/24 and 7/7 working so no Sierra or else: it needs to work under X.11.6 and nothing more!
(by the way congrats to him and thx cause his work will help me) ;)

I am not starting the "real" installation of the hack but exclusively hardware right now (and i am pretty busy by other stuffs too) so it will be done in the weeks which come...

pics will follow and also Geekbench and luxmark results (hope to have good results)

I just need the PCIe fully OK (for the titan X and the M2 PCie) the sound and so on: useless,
i have an USB Apogee for the sound!

just afraid for stable OC for the 6950x and also the the BT (under el capitan, i dont know what will happen) :(

let's see

thx to the community!

Hi GDS, I admire ur dedication. And I think we could help each other out coz I also have RVE w/ 6950x and dual Strix 980ti also custom wc. However I am running soft tubing coz I don't got the space and time to do hardline.

I would strongly suggest that u test all ur parts and install EC or windows or whatever OS u plan to run first before u start taking things apart and installing water blocks. It will be a pain in the ass once u have everything assembled and found out that u need to take something out. Just a heads up. A lot of ppl have issues trying to get dual titan X to boot the first time. Most of them have to do all the post install with one titan X before install the second gpu. That's why I suggest to get the wc going after u have the OS sorted.

Just to let u know I also had my system fully running 10.11.6 with 5960x by following a guide from IM. Then I came across this thread and thought it would be a simple CPU swap for 6950x like Axe said. And boy am I wrong.... I don't regret upgrading the CPU. But now just pulling my hair out coz I don't know exactly what I need to get it to boot. It's combination of a lot of things to get it right. Clover installation settings, config.plist, kexts and patches, Ssdt and dsdt. All this stuff which I got no in depth knowledge of.

Let's hope Axe is kind enough to show us the way. If u get ur hack to work pls share ur settings and files. And I'll definitely do the same if I crack this. good luck with ur build. I'm waiting to see what kind of beast u r building.

Does the cpu factor in with X99? Or is it strictly the X99 chipset and the features the board has??? I have a 5820K and wanted to know if I have the identical system as someone here but just my CPU changed, will that matter?

I was able to get to boot using
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/giacomoleopardos-workstation-triplet.199643/#Enable Realtek® ALC1150

He has the same cpu and similar motherboard. I followed everything down to a T but for some reason when i attempted to load the web drivers for my graphics card it said this is not the right version of OS X. I looked in the about section and it's 10.11 only not 10.11.6 so something funky went wrong during my upgrade so i am going to try this again. But i was able to boot into OS X but the problems that I encountered were the following

Graphics not working or show my actual graphics card is says 33mb which is false
Ethernet Lan not working
Sound not working
Not recognizing all of my cores as 10/20 only 1/32
When launching launchpad it's very slow

I also removed the extra 3.1 card that Asus provide you. I didn't see a need for it so i removed it from my motherboard. Unforuntately i was not able to boot using my M.2 drive so i just ran the install on my 1TB SSD. Going to try this again when i get home later but wanted to provide you guys on my progress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back