Contribute
Register

Broadwell E - i7-6950X x99 - Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
It turns out, I had a multiplier of 42 in my bios from trying to overclock the 5930K. I had read that the HWSensors don't work with Broadwell-e yet, so I'm hesitant to install and check temps, but, it seems to be stable (have been compiling a huge Xcode project all day long with no problems). Using H115i Corsair cooler on it. Thanks for the turbo info, Asus-Freak!

And thanks for the return policy suggestion, jbauman5. It seems crazy to me that they would accept returns on a cpu/board, but, that works for me. Gonna have to clean off all the stray Arctic Silver, since its a dead-giveaway that a n00b went to town on the board.

I had read that the HWSensors don't work with Broadwell-e yet, so I'm hesitant to install and check temps.

Let me know if you install hwmonitor or istat and see core temps on that thing... That might make me hold off on the install. I like to keep an eye on things like temps.

I tried overclocking to 44x (4.4ghz) but I get a KP right when it gets to the desktop. Turbo must kick in or something. It is stable at 4.2ghz, so I think I'll leave it there.

I haven't installed HWSensors yet, however, Intel Power Gadget shows me temperature and Frequency accurately. It doesn't show anything for power though, just gives a reading of < 1W.

Got a much higher GB this time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 9.34.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 9.34.11 PM.png
    72 KB · Views: 561
Good to know about temps. Looks like you did the 64bit GB that time Vs the 32 on the first one... That would bump scores significantly.

Not sure how much overclocking you do but I'm sure you'll have to play with bumping voltage a bit to get 4.4 solid. Should be able to use windows guides to oc in bios. It will get hot I imagine.

And FYI if you need some USB 3 ports the Inateck KT4006 requires no additional drivers on Yosemite or El capitan. There's another model that has more ports but I haven't tried it.

My first 64-bit run was 4264/41235. All I did was bump it, then back down to 42x and enabled TPU on my board, whatever that does. Voltage was ~1.3. Maybe that has something to do with the jump to 43K multicore score? Thanks for that USB kext, I'm back in business!

Do you guys know if Unibeast will ever be updated with the patch for the 5960X so I can keep a nice USB installation drive for emergencies?

My first 64-bit run was 4264/41235. All I did was bump it, then back down to 42x and enabled TPU on my board, whatever that does. Voltage was ~1.3. Maybe that has something to do with the jump to 43K multicore score? Thanks for that USB kext, I'm back in business!

It sounds like the wall for this chip might be 4.3 or even 4.1-4.2 depending on your sample. So if you've got 4.2 stable that's a keeper.

Hello Axe.

So if i understand well, u didn't continue to use the 6950x and returned it (cause many pbs as USB3 ...)
and now you work with a 5930K?
I am little bit lost on the different posts and dont know which one is used right now... ;)

I am preparing to buy a great hack of OCing (5960x + Asus X99 WS)
but if there is any possibilities that soon the 6950x can be rock stable... Maybe i will think about this buying!

I'm on the 6950X, stable, now with USB ports enabled and everything working, afaik.

The problem was I didn't do my research, so I didn't realize I needed a bios update to use the new chip. Several motherboards and chips later, I got the asus deluxe ii and 6950X and returned everything else.

Do you guys know if Unibeast will ever be updated with the patch for the 5960X so I can keep a nice USB installation drive for emergencies?
It seems like Unibeast is setup for easy z170 installation. X99 needs such a different setup and is difficult to find a one-size-fits-all boot method. Might not be possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back