Contribute
Register

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]

No I didn't mean for you to delete both lines, as you will need the AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext in Monterey.

What you need to do is add a MaxKernel entry to your config.plist, so AirportBrcm4360_Injector.kext is not used in any version of macOS newer than Catalina.

This is how the AirportBrcmFixup.kext and the two injectors are set in my config.plist.

Screenshot 2022-02-27 at 17.23.41.png

Under the AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext entry I have set the MaxKernel to 19.9.9. This prevents the system using the AirportBrcm4360_injector.kext when running Big Sur or newer.

So no need to delete the kext.

See this section of the AirPortBrcmFixup readme - AirportBrcmFixup

To fix bluetooth issues in Monterey you need the BlueToolFixup.kext, did you read the information on the link I provided?

To fix bluetooth issues in Monterey you need the BlueToolFixup.kext, did you read the information on the link I provided?

I read those instructions a few times, but like everything I read at 2:00 AM in the morning, I probably glossed over it.
Thanks to your help!

My last issue is I lost access to my boot camp partition. My also system takes forever to boot up and it seems to be caused by this error:

tzinit: New update not compatible or older version: 2020a.1.0 vs 2020a.1.0: No such file or directory

Any idea where I should post for help on that one? A search on Tonymac doesn't turn up anything.

Thanks again!

Which version of OpenCore are you using, as you are running Monterey I assume it is OC 0.7.4 or newer.
Do you still have a Bootcamp folder in your OC folder, or are you using the newer method for running BootCamp with OpenCore?

The way to fix the tzinit error seems to be to reinstall macOS using the macOS Recovery partition. That was the fix offered on Apple's Support forums, as listed in this post - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251585186

Which version of OpenCore are you using, as you are running Monterey I assume it is OC 0.7.4 or newer.
Do you still have a Bootcamp folder in your OC folder, or are you using the newer method for running BootCamp with OpenCore?

The way to fix the tzinit error seems to be to reinstall macOS using the macOS Recovery partition. That was the fix offered on Apple's Support forums, as listed in this post - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251585186
No Boot Camp folder and OC 0.7.8 . Used to work fine before, now no love. I assume I'm using the 'new' method because I can boot to Windows from OC? I have ALMOST been exclusively using Parallels to run Windows MOST of the time. I want the option to boot to Windows directly even once in a while for specific things.

Windows is on it's own ssd. I did copy in the Bootx64.efi folder in the Boot folder. Could that have caused it? At some point a few versions ago I started to have to choose which volume I wanted to boot Windows from, Any ideas on that? I suspect I have an extra EFI somewhere.

I did see the Apple article but I was hoping it didn't apply or there was a a less scary way of doing it. What does TZINIT do anyway?

Should this be moved to another thread?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
tzinit Initiates something, not sure what.

That was the only fix I could find, well one that made sense. The rest were similar but not as conclusive about the outcome.

BootCamp was removed some time ago, year or more, around the release of OC 0.6.6, IIRC. So not so new!

Do you mean you copied in the BOOTx64.efi and BOOT folder from an older version of OC, to the new 0.7.8 setup? If Yes, you need to replace the BOOT Folder with the OC 0.7.8 version attached below.

As the BOOTx64.efi, OpenCore.efi and OpenRuntime.efi all need to match, based in the version of OC you are using. These are the core elements for OC.

Attachments

• BOOT.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
No I copied the latest bootx64.efi from 0.7.8 into my efi folder as I usually do.

Couldn’t get parallels to boot windows after the upgrade from .0.7.2

Reinstalling Monterey to hopefully fix tzinit issue. Will know if it works in a few hours, then will tackle the parallels issue.

Thanks again!

Have a read of this Apple support page regarding WiFi capabilities in recent MacBook Pro systems.

As can be seen a large number of MacBook Pro's use the WiFi 5 (802.11ac) protocol, i.e. those that use the BCM94360CD 802.11ac card. While only the latest M1 MBP's use the WiFi 6 & 6E (802.11ax) protocol.

This might be an interesting read, comparing the WiFi protocols in M1 and Intel MBP's.

I can't find an Apple WiFi 6 card for sale. But if one were available I think it would use the Broadcom BMC4389 chipset.

I can't find an Apple WiFi 6 card for sale. But if one were available I think it would use the Broadcom BMC4389 chipset.
I don't think they use Broadcom, and on the side note I don't think there is any device with Broadcom BMC4389 out there yet Apple or otherwise.

Back