Contribute
Register

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]

@pastrychef It does look like deleting the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration files removed WiFi from my system. Where do we go from here?

It should populate itself after a reboot if the Wi-Fi card is detected. Like how your ethernet was detected and auto populated.

Open System Preferences, navigate to the 'Network' preference pane.

Select the '+' icon/button below the list of Network devices.

This should open a Wizard for you to add in your WiFi device, if macOS is detecting it.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 21.43.05.png

This is sometimes required after deleting any files from the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.

I reset BIOS settings and went one by one with the recommendations from the guide. With WiFi enabled, it pulls up the following, which is the onboard wifi, but I'd really like to use the Fenvi card.
View attachment 531837

I have a single PCI slot on my mobo (x16). Do you know of any issues running x1 cards on it? I can't think of any reason the PCI slot would not work. Are there any of my configs impeding it?

Yeah. That's not the Wi-Fi you want...

Open System Preferences, navigate to the 'Network' preference pane.

Select the '+' icon/button below the list of Network devices.

This should open a Wizard for you to add in your WiFi device, if macOS is detecting it.
It seems MacOS is not detecting it then, as I only see Bluetooth and Ethernet as options.
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 4.57.36 PM.png

I'd like to rule out hardware issues... Is it possible my SMBIOS (iMac19,1) is not allowing my PCIe card to be read? Or the version of Big Sur?

Are there any settings that would cause the PCI expansion slot to become disabled? As I mentioned, the bluetooth (via USB but on the same card) is working correctly.

It seems MacOS is not detecting it then, as I only see Bluetooth and Ethernet as options.
View attachment 531845

I'd like to rule out hardware issues... Is it possible my SMBIOS (iMac19,1) is not allowing my PCIe card to be read? Or the version of Big Sur?

Are there any settings that would cause the PCI expansion slot to become disabled? As I mentioned, the bluetooth (via USB but on the same card) is working correctly.
does it work in windows?

There is no reason why macOS would cause these issues, unless you changed things, i.e. disabled these elements in your bios.

You may need to reset your Bios to Defaults and make the following changes to get it set for running macOS:

Change the following settings:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Intel iGPU:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Some of these elements may not be present in your Bios. Just make sure you change the ones that are present.

Windows Installation:
You can download and install Windows 10 for free, i.e. use it in trial mode. I think it gives you 30 days to activate the system. So you can install Windows to a spare HD and see if the WiFi/BT card works in another OS. Once you have tested the WiFi/BT card in Windows you can remove or Wipe the spare HD you used for the Windows installation.

Here is a link for downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Settings are as you specified and I used a live disk of Ubuntu to confirm that wifi doesn’t show up.

Settings are as you specified and I used a live disk of Ubuntu to confirm that wifi doesn’t show up.

You are the second person in a row to have this issue. Where did you get your PCI-e adaptor card and which model is it? There may be a bad batch floating around.

at least you now know the issue....

You are the second person in a row to have this issue. Where did you get your PCI-e adaptor card and which model is it? There may be a bad batch floating around.
Well my initial one was a 3460CS2 in a pcie adapter (previously in M2 slot).

Then I bought the following Fenvi because it wasn’t working but had the same issues. PCI-E WiFi Card for MacOS Windows 802.11a/g/n/ac BT 4.0 PCI-E PCI Network Adapter mac-Compatible Wi-Fi AirDrop Handoff Instant Hotspot macOS MIMO 2x2 Mac OS X natively Supported BCM4360 AC1200 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9JD93Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Back