Contribute
Register

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]

You should be using BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext with your Dell WiFi/BT card, when running macOS Mojave. These two kexts should be in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Have a read of the guide for Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM kexts - https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

CodecCommander.kext is an Audio helper kext that is sometimes required for older laptops. If you need it, add it to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. But I would say you have enough kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder already.

Do not install any of these kexts to your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folder.

You have a duplicate of Lilu.kext in your /Library/Extensions folder. This kext should not be in this folder, as you have a copy of the same kext in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This is a common way for kext version issues to arise during the boot process.

When you remove the duplicate Lilu.kext from your /Library/Extensions folder, you have to repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache, using the tool in Hackintool on the Utilities tab is the easiest way to do this. Make sure you do this before you reboot your system, after manually removing the kext.

I would recommend you have a read of this guide by jaymonkey regarding installation of third-party kexts in macOS - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

You should be using BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext with your Dell WiFi/BT card, when running macOS Mojave. These two kexts should be in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Have a read of the guide for Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM kexts - https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

CodecCommander.kext is an Audio helper kext that is sometimes required for older laptops. If you need it, add it to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. But I would say you have enough kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder already.

Do not install any of these kexts to your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folder.

You have a duplicate of Lilu.kext in your /Library/Extensions folder. This kext should not be in this folder, as you have a copy of the same kext in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This is a common way for kext version issues to arise during the boot process.

When you remove the duplicate Lilu.kext from your /Library/Extensions folder, you have to repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache, using the tool in Hackintool on the Utilities tab is the easiest way to do this. Make sure you do this before you reboot your system, after manually removing the kext.

I would recommend you have a read of this guide by jaymonkey regarding installation of third-party kexts in macOS - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/
thanks for clear explanations !
no idea how Lilu ended up duplicated - maybe there is a reason for that for this particular laptop Dell XPS 13 9360 since I've used DarkVoid's repo and his shell scripts for Dell XPS 13 Mojave to configure install and post install, maybe it got installed automatically -
should I still remove it?

Before I proceed with installing ( copying) or removing additional kexts to Clover/kexts/other another question come up :

I've just run across more up to date maintained GitHub repo and guide for this laptop by TheQuert where he has more kexts in his Clover folder specifically targeted for DW1560 card and he suggest them to be installed into Clover in his guide :

AirportBrcmFixup.kext
ArcmBluetoothinjector.kext (?)
BrcmFirmwareData.kext (?)
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext - (?) RAM3 instead of RAM2 ?
BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext (?)

what are those for and are they better/more recent for DW1560 card - what do you think ?

Attachments

• theQuert DW1560.png
    theQuert DW1560.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
The kexts you listed are for a system running Catalina or Big Sur. The kexts I listed are for a system running Mojave.

Which version of macOS are you running?

Read the Acidanthera BrcmPatchRAM guide, or the first post in this thread, both explain which kexts are required for each version of macOS.

The kexts you listed are for a system running Catalina or Big Sur. The kexts I listed are for a system running Mojave.

Which version of macOS are you running?

Read the Acidanthera BrcmPatchRAM guide, or the first post in this thread, both explain which kexts are required for each version of macOS.
I am on Mojave 10.14.5

I've manually copied the two kexts BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext into Clover/kexts/other/
than run a terminal command sudo kextcash -i / and restart ,

boot time became incredibly slow as opposed to super snappy before.

Nothing has changed - Blootooth still doesn't show up in system report, but wifi works as before :(

I am doing something wrong.

In this guide on the 1st page it is suggested to install BrcmFirmwareData.kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext into Library/Extentions folder including Lilu.kext - is there a reason for that ?
( please look at attacked screenshot)

Can some kexts be installed in Clover/kexts/other while some in Library/extentons or it should be one way or the other ?

//// Shall I try to remove Lilu from Clover/kexts/other and leave it in Library/Extentions only and move the Broadcom kexts from clover into extensions as well? ///

UPDATE : just done that : installed BrcmFirmwareData.kext ,BrcmPatchRAM2.kext into extensions along side with Lilu.kexts run terminal commands :
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

Result : very fast boot time - Wifi still works , but No Bluetooth available
ideas?
:crazy:

Attachments

• Broadcom Guide.png
    Broadcom Guide.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Kexts should be installed to /CLOVER/kexts/Other or /OC/Kexts if booting with OpenCore.

When kexts are installed to the bootloader's kext folder you do not need to rebuild the kext cache. As kexts that are injected by the bootloader are outside the kext cache. Rebuilding the kext cache is only required when you install kexts to one of the system Extensions folders.

Third Party kexts such as these should not be installed to /Library/Extensions folder. Have a read of this guide as to the why's and wherefores of this issue - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Kexts should be installed to /CLOVER/kexts/Other or /OC/Kexts if booting with OpenCore.

When kexts are installed to the bootloader's kext folder you do not need to rebuild the kext cache. As kexts that are injected by the bootloader are outside the kext cache. Rebuilding the kext cache is only required when you install kexts to one of the system Extensions folders.

Third Party kexts such as these should not be installed to /Library/Extensions folder. Have a read of this guide as to the why's and wherefores of this issue - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/
just removed Lilu from duplicate Library/Extentions folder , still no Bluetooth .

thank you for info on kexts installation but I am still puzzled and confused as this very guide suggests to install them into Library/Extensions folder? and the Mark Perez guide I've been trying to follow to install this Mojave built on Dell XPS 13 suggest the same for Wifi/BT to work?

don't know what to try , I've just deleted duplicate Lilu from Extentions - hasn't change anything.

When those Broadcom kexts are in Clover/kexts/Other the boot times are extremely slow , when they are in my Library/Extentions booting is fast . all works fine on this laptop build accept BT Bluetooth on DW1560
still no clue what's going on :banghead:

Thank you I am reading through the Jaymonkey guide , but at the very top he states ?:

2. Where should I install 3rd Party Kexts ?

When using the Clover boot-loader there are two methods we can use for 3rd party kexts that are needed to run MacOS on non-Apple hardware.

1. You can copy all your 3rd party kexts to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and allow Clover to Inject all the kexts by setting Clover -> System Parameters -> Inject Kexts to "Yes".

2. You can install all your 3rd Party kexts (including FakeSMC) in to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) which is the method that this guide will cover.

Which method you use is entirely personal choice, there are pros-and cons for each method which are discussed at length elsewhere in these forums.

3. Why should I use /Library/Extensions over Clover Injected kexts ?
  • Injected Kexts live outside of "protected MacOS memory" *
  • Injecting a large amount of kexts may result in an unstable system
  • Some older 3rd party kexts do not work correctly when injected by Clover
  • Injected Kexts are not included in the kernel cache and thus are excluded form MacOS error checking **

Different ideas and philosophies will be encountered when using different guides, not uncommon to find this 'clash' of ideas.

I keep my /Library/Extensions folder clean, i.e. free from any Hackintosh third party kexts. I first started doing this when running macOS El Capitan on my main hack. I then continued/moved all my systems to follow the same process.

Try installing the two Bluetooth kexts required for macOS Mojave in your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. But swap BrcmFirmwareData.kext for BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, as it works better in /L/E folder and as part of the system kext cache.
  1. You would need to remove the two kexts from your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  2. Install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext to your /L/E folder, using a kext installer such as Hackintool or KextBeast or Kext Wizard (if it still works).

just removed Lilu from duplicate Library/Extentions folder , still no Bluetooth .

thank you for info on kexts installation but I am still puzzled and confused as this very guide suggests to install them into Library/Extensions folder? and the Mark Perez guide I've been trying to follow to install this Mojave built on Dell XPS 13 suggest the same for Wifi/BT to work?

don't know what to try , I've just deleted duplicate Lilu from Extentions - hasn't change anything.
Came back home after two hours , realized that above operation broke Sleep on my built ... laptop was frying hot with the lid closed unplugged.. battery went from 100% to %6 , when opened the lid the screen was on the clover selection ... that means that laptop restarted or crashed while in sleep ... dunno.
how to revert back to previous state?
what could have caused that ?

Attachments

• clover kexts.png
    clover kexts.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Library:Extentions.png
    Library:Extentions.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Different ideas and philosophies will be encountered when using different guides, not uncommon to find this 'clash' of ideas.

I keep my /Library/Extensions folder clean, i.e. free from any Hackintosh third party kexts. I first started doing this when running macOS El Capitan on my main hack. I then continued/moved all my systems to follow the same process.

Try installing the two Bluetooth kexts required for macOS Mojave in your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. But swap BrcmFirmwareData.kext for BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, as it works better in /L/E folder and as part of the system kext cache.
  1. You would need to remove the two kexts from your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  2. Install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext to your /L/E folder, using a kext installer such as Hackintool or KextBeast or Kext Wizard (if it still works).
Thank you, will surely try ,
but fist I have to repair Sleep function that is broke now ... it all got worse .. after I moved those two Broadcom Wifi kexts to Library/Extentions and deleted Lulu.kext from Library/Extentions .. maybe if had to be there for a reason again? I've been busy for almost a week to configure almost perfect system only thing was missing is Bluetooth ..now got to find what breaks the sleep ...cause laptop just restarted into clover screen while being closed lid.. weird

Last edited:
Back