Contribute
Register

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]

@Gareth23,

If you do decide to use the card buy anther antenna / pig tail for it ... they only cost a few $ on eBay .... do not use it without 3 pig tails plugged into it. Running any WiFi/BT card with out the correct number of antenna's plugged it can result in a damage to the on-board radio amplifiers as there is no load on the un-connected radio output(s).

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for that info Jay :) ... was looking at

Thanks for that info Jay :) ... was looking at
@Gareth23,

Yes thats a good combo card for hackingtosh with mini PCIe, natively supported so you should not have too much trouble getting it to work. See Toleda's guide for more info :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/#post-1664577

But make sure you buy an additional Antenna / pigtail for the reasons i posted above.

Cheers
Jay

@Gareth23,

Yes thats a good combo card for hackingtosh with mini PCIe, natively supported so you should not have too much trouble getting it to work. See Toleda's guide for more info :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/#post-1664577

But make sure you buy an additional Antenna / pigtail for the reasons i posted above.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jay ... am looking at Antennas for thatAzureWave AW-CB160H just trying to find out if my old antennas are MHF4 or MHF3 !

Question: can this adapter be used to install a AppleBroadcom card directly on the motherboard in a Drive M.2 slot rather than using a X1 pcie Carrier? Antenna wires would need to be extended to bulkhead fittings in backplane. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHRJVXW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Question: can this adapter be used to install a AppleBroadcom card directly on the motherboard in a Drive M.2 slot rather than using a X1 pcie Carrier? Antenna wires would need to be extended to bulkhead fittings in backplane. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHRJVXW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

No. The keying is different.

If you really want to use that M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you would have to resort to a pretty convoluted solution...
Use an M.2 to PCI-e adaptor.
s-l1600.jpg
Then, use an Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with a PCI-e adaptor in that adaptor...
s-l1600.jpg

No. The keying is different.

If you really want to use that M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you would have to resort to a pretty convoluted solution...
Use an M.2 to PCI-e adaptor.
View attachment 349249
Then, use an Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with a PCI-e adaptor in that adaptor...
View attachment 349250

So these carriers spilt off and allow Bluetooth data to go through USB and provide the proper 3v power and there is no specific adapter, by itself, that can do both jobs from this type of slot. Currently, I have tried four different style carriers with both old and new school Apple Broadcom cards 4 and 3 antennas, two of the carriers cannot be recognized at all, on the wifi level, in my GA Z370 gaming 7 board. They are, however recognized, in a 200 series Asus board with Z270 chipset. An OSXwifi soulution is immediately recognized, and I just got a Fenvi solution, which was immediately recognized and it working both wifi and bluetooth. There is another carrier that is suppsed to work in any slot X1 to X16 and is made by Companies under the Wdxxfu Studio design, or rebranded versions of the same, such as this Justop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-PCI-Express-BCM943602CS-Hackintosh-Computers/dp/B00MBP25UK
Unfortunately, these carriers are not sold in the US unless you want to go the China direct route, and this does not include Ebay.

So these carriers spilt off and allow Bluetooth data to go through USB and provide the proper 3v power and there is no specific adapter, by itself, that can do both jobs from this type of slot. Currently, I have tried four different style carriers with both old and new school Apple Broadcom cards 4 and 3 antennas, two of the carriers cannot be recognized at all, on the wifi level, in my GA Z370 gaming 7 board. They are, however recognized, in a 200 series Asus board with Z270 chipset. An OSXwifi soulution is immediately recognized, and I just got a Fenvi solution, which was immediately recognized and it working both wifi and bluetooth. There is another carrier that is suppsed to work in any slot X1 to X16 and is made by Companies under the Wdxxfu Studio design, or rebranded versions of the same, such as this Justop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21
Unfortunately, these carriers are not sold in the US unless you want to go the China direct route, and this does not include Ebay.

No, the Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adaptors have leads that carry Bluetooth USB Data+ and Data-. Power comes from the PCI-e slot.

Any of the cards you mentioned should work in a PCI-e x1, x4, x6, or x16 slot since PCI-e is backwards and forward compatible in that regard. People have jury-rigged cards made for x16 to work in x1 slots by butchering the card or connector.

In regards to your situation where you tried four different adaptors and them not working, I really don't know why they didn't work. I can only speculate that the adaptors were defective or installation was incorrect. In my Z370 build thread, there were some users who used the wrong screw to attach an adaptor and it caused Bluetooth to fail.

Yes, for many of these components, I have only found China-based sellers.

Thanks Jay ... am looking at Antennas for thatAzureWave AW-CB160H just trying to find out if my old antennas are MHF4 or MHF3 !

MHF3 = 2mm
MHF4 = 1.5mm

Cheers
Jay

No, the Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adaptors have leads that carry Bluetooth USB Data+ and Data-. Power comes from the PCI-e slot.
Not exactly true, some use 4 wire connections and some have 2 wire. 2 wire is data only. 4 Wire USB to internal can be voltage and data or fake and data only, however the exact voltge need is 3V and is not always handle right by components on the PCB. This is whay all most all the Chinese carrier adapters do not work in any slot other than X1. Backward compatibility for X16 is only true for the OSXwifi carrier, and the Wdxxfu Studio design (which uses a mini USB female slot on the PCB and correcponding cable). I have test the Fenvi but I tend to think it will nay slot as well. Asrock boards are the worst offenders for not working at all. Most of the carriers are crap other than these and your playing Chinese Roulette if you thing differntly. If you stick with X1 either with the real slot or a X1 extender cable you will have the best luck better than 50 50.

Any of the cards you mentioned should work in a PCI-e x1, x4, x6, or x16 slot since PCI-e is backwards and forward compatible in that regard. People have jury-rigged cards made for x16 to work in x1 slots by butchering the card or connector.
No jerry-rig on my part; It just is totaly not recognized as a wifi device at all, in my Z370 board, in any type of slot, but is fully functional in an Asus board.
Note the Fenvi Fv-T919 works. Its driver for Windows 10 on its Mdisk is not a Bootcamp driver its is from Asus so after installing it shows as Broadcom driver with a differernt version number and the card is seen as a BCM4360 as are both the 3 and 4 antenna versions the 3 antenna version being the newest with the wave form anntenna upgrade. The carriers for the 3 antenna cards are different part numbers, for the Chinese carrier suppliers, and even though the slot is the same, the voltage for Bluetooth and PCB is unique.
I am going to pull the 4 antenna card from the Chinese PCB carrier and mount it my OSXwifi Carrier which I know works, in both the Asus and Gigabyte boards. If the card is recognized this will prove it is not worth taking a chance on these unknown carriers to save a couple of bucks, if it works, you are lucky, if not, I TOLD YOU SO. I have been dealing with this mystery for a month, waiting for the Fenvi and now it does work, but I will not give up until I figure why the other 2 do not, in the
Gigabyte, but do in Asus, and Fenvi works in both and in any type of slot X1 or X16.
You get what you pay for.

Not exactly true, some use 4 wire connections and some have 2 wire. 2 wire is data only. 4 Wire USB to internal can be voltage and data or fake and data only, however the exact voltge need is 3V and is not always handle right by components on the PCB. This is whay all most all the Chinese carrier adapters do not work in any slot other than X1. Backward compatibility for X16 is only true for the OSXwifi carrier, and the Wdxxfu Studio design (which uses a mini USB female slot on the PCB and correcponding cable). I have test the Fenvi but I tend to think it will nay slot as well. Asrock boards are the worst offenders for not working at all. Most of the carriers are crap other than these and your playing Chinese Roulette if you thing differntly. If you stick with X1 either with the real slot or a X1 extender cable you will have the best luck better than 50 50.

No jerry-rig on my part; It just is totaly not recognized as a wifi device at all, in my Z370 board, in any type of slot, but is fully functional in an Asus board.
Note the Fenvi Fv-T919 works. Its driver for Windows 10 on its Mdisk is not a Bootcamp driver its is from Asus so after installing it shows as Broadcom driver with a differernt version number and the card is seen as a BCM4360 as are both the 3 and 4 antenna versions the 3 antenna version being the newest with the wave form anntenna upgrade. The carriers for the 3 antenna cards are different part numbers, for the Chinese carrier suppliers, and even though the slot is the same, the voltage for Bluetooth and PCB is unique.
I am going to pull the 4 antenna card from the Chinese PCB carrier and mount it my OSXwifi Carrier which I know works, in both the Asus and Gigabyte boards. If the card is recognized this will prove it is not worth taking a chance on these unknown carriers to save a couple of bucks, if it works, you are lucky, if not, I TOLD YOU SO. I have been dealing with this mystery for a month, waiting for the Fenvi and now it does work, but I will not give up until I figure why the other 2 do not, in the
Gigabyte, but do in Asus, and Fenvi works in both and in any type of slot X1 or X16.
You get what you pay for.

Please post your EFI folder.

Back