Contribute
Register

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth [Guide]

@KevinAgnes,

I doubt either of those adapters will help you, as all they do is adapt type X to the M.2 standard, since you cant get the DW1560 to work which is already a standard M.2 WiFi/BT card logic dictates that they wont help.

Its very early days for CNVi in the consumer market and i have not been able to find much about it other than the product brief i already posted.

I think you need to try and find out how a CNVi M.2 slot differs from a Standard (for WiFi) M.2 slot (if any)

If there is a specific difference then its possible that in the future some China supplier may make an adapter card to allow the use of a standard M.2 wifi card in a CNVi M.2 slot, however bare in mind that CNVi may need specific BIOS features to work as such for a future adapter to work it may also require the mobo manufacturer to support a CNVi disable feature in the BIOS options.

I think at this stage not enough is known about CNVi by this community, if you can try and find out some more info. Keep an eye on possible BIOS updates that may help to disable CNVi and allow the slot to function as a standard M.2.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@KevinAgnes,

I doubt either of those adapters will help you, as all they do is adapt type X to the M.2 standard, since you cant get the DW1560 to work which is already a standard M.2 WiFi/BT card logic dictates that they wont help.

Its very early days for CNVi in the consumer market and i have not been able to find much about it other than the product brief i already posted.

I think you need to try and find out how a CNVi M.2 slot differs from a Standard (for WiFi) M.2 slot (if any)

If there is a specific difference then its possible that in the future some China supplier may make an adapter card to allow the use of a standard M.2 wifi card in a CNVi M.2 slot, however bare in mind that CNVi may need specific BIOS features to work as such for a future adapter to work it may also require the mobo manufacturer to support a CNVi disable feature in the BIOS options.

I think at this stage not enough is known about CNVi by this community, if you can try and find out some more info. Keep an eye on possible BIOS updates that may help to disable CNVi and allow the slot to function as a standard M.2.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Jay, thanks for all the help so far!
I will slow down now and let time create more options :)
Certainly more people will face this issue and research for good options in the future!

Cheers!!

I doubt either of those adapters will help you, as all they do is adapt type X to the M.2 standard
Not clear if the CNVi port is M.2 A/E compliant or if Intel disables it with non Intel wifi.
It is not possible to plug DW1560 into either of the H370N M.2 M Key connectors
Suggest the M.2 M Key to A Key adapter may be worth testing

Last edited:
Not clear if the CNVi port is M.2 A/E compliant or if Intel disables it with non Intel wifi.

Agreed

It is not possible to plug DW1560 into either of the H370N M.2 M Key connectors - Suggest the M.2 M Key to A Key adapter may be worth testing

Are you sure ?, from the way i read @KevinAgnes posts, its seems he's been able to physical fit a DW1560 in the CNVi slot so the issue is either the logical interface (pin assignment) or BIOS/Firmware which makes the M.2 slot CNVi specific.

@KevinAgnes,

Can you post a picture of the CNVi WiFi/BT card for us ?, make sure the connector is clear so we can see which lines/pins are used and not used (on both sides if possible).

Suggest you put the CNVi card and DW1560 edge to egde with the 'E' keys alined, and look at the CNVi card to see if it has pins at the same location as the 'A' key on the DW1560 . If it does then it would suggest that the CNVi slot is indeed specific.

Cheers
Jay

Can you post a picture of the CNVi WiFi/BT card for us ?
wifimounted.jpg
Suggest you put the CNVi card and DW1560 edge to egde with the 'E' keys alined
Wifi.jpg

Are you sure ?, from the way i read @KevinAgnes posts, its seems he's been able to physical fit a DW1560 in the CNVi slot so the issue is either the logical interface (pin assignment) or BIOS/Firmware which makes the M.2 slot CNVi specific
I don't dispute the DW1560 fits in the CNVi slot; I submit the DW1560 is disabled in the CNVi slot.

My point is the A/E key DW1560 won't fit in either of the 2 M.2 M key connectors on the motherboard, hence, the adapter suggestion.

@KevinAgnes,

Thanks for posting those pictures, very useful reference .... you can clearly see that the CNVi card does indeed have pins where the 'A' key is on the DW1560 so it looks like CNVi is quite a bit different to standard E+A WiFi/BT cards in its pin/line interfacing.

It´s quite expensive (~$50) and only this company sells them, not sure about delivery too.

I don't see how you think that adapter will help, it converts key types E & E+A to Key type M which is reserved for M.2 NGFF SSD's (Nvme or Sata). Since the 9560NGW card is Key type E then its safe to assume that the slot is also Key Type E which is correct for PCIe WiFI and USB BT so I cant see how converting to Key Type M is go to help with a slot type thats key type E (hope that makes sense .... )

I suspect that all the logic lines are available for you to use something like a DW1560 but your BIOS is reserving the slot for CNVi ... its also quite possible that Intel has locked CNVi into the chipset which is something thats being discussed on the hardware forums at the moment ... no ones knows for sure if they have or haven't ATM ... simply not enough is know about it right now.

The downside is that if they have locked CNVi to the chipset then there will be no way to use standard M.2 WiFI/BT cards like DW1560 and DW1830 ... the only hope would be that Intel open/license the standard to 3rd party manufacturers such as Broadcom or Atheros.

So I think your only option right now is PCIe as both myself and Tolida have already written.

Good Luck with it
Keep us posted
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back