Broadcom BCM94360CD - Bluetooth Works, but Wi-Fi Doesn't

Discussion in 'Network' started by AutumnStarlight, Sep 29, 2016.

1. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660TI (currently)
    Sep 29, 2016 at 3:52 AM #1
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    My rig: ASRock Z97X Killer | i7-4790k | GTX 660 Ti | Dual-boot El Capitan 10.11.6 & Windows 10

I have a Broadcom BCM94360CD Wi-Fi card with a PCI-E adapter card from Fenvi (linked here: https://amzn.com/B0144KJOIA) for my dual-boot PC/Hackintosh. I got this card under the impression that it would work out of the box, and for quite a few people, it does. Although Bluetooth works fine for me, neither OS on my computer will recognize that a wi-fi module even exists.

I've scoured countless guides and forum threads to no avail, mostly because if anyone has any problems with this wi-fi card, they have the exact opposite problem I have (which is to say that wi-fi works for them, but BT doesn't.) What can I do to get my wi-fi card working, shy of replacing the networking gear entirely? Right now, my hackintosh is dependent on my ancient MacBook Pro sharing its wi-fi signal via Ethernet. It's a temporary solution, but it's just about time for me to retire my laptop.

I'd like to think of myself as fairly tech-savvy. I've been using (the same) Mac for almost 9 years, but this is my first foray into not only hackintosh, but PC building in general. If anyone needs further details, screenshots, or anything else like that, I'll happily provide them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Nov 28, 2016 at 4:20 AM #2
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Over the past two months, I've heard hushed whispers on threads that there are some counterfeit Broadcom wifi cards/adapters that aren't really made by/for Apple. Could this be the reason I'm facing the current issue I'm in? If so, how can I tell?

3. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Nov 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM #3
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    From the Mac side, I pulled up the System Information app, which says that my bluetooth card was made by Broadcom, as advertised. I also ran the MAC address through a number of online search engines, and they say it's made by Apple, too. As for Wi-Fi, my computer doesn't even acknowledge that a wi-fi adapter even exists, neither macOS Sierra, nor Windows 10. I don't know if this would be relevant, but I also posted some info a little more specific to Wi-Fi, which is what I need to get working.

Bluetooth MAC Address.png
    Wi-Fi Specific System Report.png

4. warpspace

warpspace

Mobo:
    Samsung Series 7 Slate (2011)
    CPU:
    i5 2467M
    Graphics:
    Intel HD3000
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Jan 18, 2017 at 7:39 AM #4
    warpspace

warpspace

Mobo:
    Samsung Series 7 Slate (2011)
    CPU:
    i5 2467M
    Graphics:
    Intel HD3000
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Sorry I'm replying so late. To get it to work on Windows, you need to install the drivers. You can find them here:
    http://fenvi.com/en/download.php?id=154

For the Mac, it should work out of the box. As it plugs into your motherboard's internal USB header, you sometimes need to enable the extra USB slots on your Hackintosh to get Bluetooth to work.

I personally could not connect the wifi to my WEP network on either Sierra or Linux, but the card is detected.

5. Academiaiuris

Academiaiuris

Mobo:
    GA-H170-D3HP
    CPU:
    i3-6100
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Jan 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM #5
    Academiaiuris

Academiaiuris

Mobo:
    GA-H170-D3HP
    CPU:
    i3-6100
    Graphics:
    HD 530
  6. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Jan 22, 2017 at 1:42 AM #6
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    I got both the wifi/bluetooth card and adapter from Amazon. They don't seem to sell just the adapter from Fenvi anymore. It appears to be integrated with its own card now, which leads me to think that there won't be any drivers for the adapter by itself.

7. Academiaiuris

Academiaiuris

Mobo:
    GA-H170-D3HP
    CPU:
    i3-6100
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Jan 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM #7
    Academiaiuris

Academiaiuris

Mobo:
    GA-H170-D3HP
    CPU:
    i3-6100
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Hm, depressing. Personaly, i suspect my BCM94311CD-Card to be the problem. But to find the answer, I'll have to wait until i buy a new one.

8. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Aug 28, 2017 at 1:52 PM #8
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    This may be a different topic more worthy of its own thread than a continuation of this one, but I have an inkling that the original problem outlined here may be relevant, if not the crux of the whole issue. I acquired an Apple Watch in the time since my last post on this thread, and I tried setting up the Auto Unlock function, but System Preferences doesn't recognize the Apple Watch. Under ideal conditions, opening System Preferences > Security & Privacy should show a set of four check boxes, the last of which should let you unlock the Hackintosh with the Apple Watch, but I don't see that fourth checkbox. On a side note, System Preferences > General shows nothing about Handoff or Continuity, either. System Information shows that neither Auto Unlock, Handoff, nor wifi are supported on my machine, even though they should be, given the model of my networking hardware.

Looking through different Auto Unlock guides, I should meet all the requirements necessary to allow this feature. I have a 42mm Apple Watch Series 2 running watchOS 3.2.3 tethered to an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.3.3, the Balrog is running macOS Sierra 10.12.6/Windows 10, and the SMBIOS I set up in Clover has the "Mac" listed as a late 2013 iMac. All three devices are logged into iCloud using the same singular AppleID, and Two-Factor Verification (not Two-Step) is enabled. The only conceivable problem I see before me can be traced right back to my networking equipment (again, that's why I posted here instead of in its own thread.) I'm still running the same Broadcom BCM94360CD as before; wifi is still marked as nonexistent on the Balrog, and Bluetooth still works (at least to some degree; while I can connect to my phone's hotspot in Windows, the same cannot be said of the Mac side, whether via wifi, Bluetooth, or USB.) Rather than sharing internet from my old MacBook Pro's ethernet connection and using wifi from it, my Balrog now has an ethernet cable running directly to its own modem.

Attached are some updated screenshots of System Information; they're largely the same as before in Post #3 on this thread.

All in all, all of my Balrog's networking issues can be boiled down to a single question: If I have to replace my networking equipment, should I replace just the wifi chip itself, the PCI-e adapter, or both?

Attached Files:

• Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.35.17 AM.png  (132.2 KB, 31 views)
    • Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.37.53 AM.png  (76 KB, 31 views)
  9. AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Aug 31, 2017 at 12:12 AM #9
    AutumnStarlight

AutumnStarlight

Mobo:
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Okay, I think I may have figured out the exact cause of my problem. Numerous threads I've come across today have stated that the Broadcom BCM94360CD simply doesn't work with ASRock motherboards, and I have an ASRock Z97X Killer in my system. It explains why I've never been able to use wifi with it, regardless of which operating system was running. It also stands to reason that the wifi chip I have is genuine and would work as intended, given another motherboard. I've got enough spare parts lying around to build a second PC and test that theory, and depending on its own motherboard (which is not an ASRock,) I could probably convert it into a Hackintosh as well.

That being said, I'll definitely have to replace my networking hardware. Once that happens, I'll go ahead and mark this thread as solved. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally, I'd love to have wifi, bluetooth 4.0, Handoff/Continuity capability, and Auto Unlock compatibility with Apple Watch. Most importantly, it must work with an ASROCK motherboard.

10. telepati

telepati

Mobo:
    ASUS Z170-A
    CPU:
    i7 6700K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 530
    Mac:
    iMac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Aug 31, 2017 at 12:27 AM #10
    telepati

telepati

Mobo:
    ASUS Z170-A
    CPU:
    i7 6700K
    Graphics:
    Intel HD 530
    Mac:
    iMac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Did you try slot PCIE1? Normally this card just working on this slot?